Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

car alarm.. need info

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 06:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default car alarm.. need info

hey guys, I was wondering does anybody know what kind of car alarms have the sensor where if you just touch the car the alarm goes off? or is that impossible? so far I'm either going to go with a viper or compustar or maybe a clifford alarm if I can't find one like the one I'm describing..
Old 10-23-2005, 08:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have clifford and like it a lot all the bells and whistles installed.
doin't do viper, cheaper quality
if you have $$do Avanguard 5 or if 5.5 is out get that one.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you probablly won't find a sensor that will do what you want. most all alarms have a (-) negative input for extra add-on sensors. plus if there was such a sensor you would have false alarms when it raines, leaves fall, and bird poop. your alarm is designed to protect the contents inside your vehicle.

as for brands, viper and clifford are the same company, they make good alarms. Audiovox/Prestige make really good alarms also. I'm not a fan of the Compustar alarms, but it's all up to you.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what would you suggest violent b? i wanted to get a compustar alarm but theres no dealership around here to install it for me.. so i might just go for a clifford or viper.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by toupy
what would you suggest violent b? i wanted to get a compustar alarm but theres no dealership around here to install it for me.. so i might just go for a clifford or viper.
What you are looking for is called a proximity sensor and they are a very nice alarm addition. You don't even have to touch the car, get within a foot of it and you can have a warn away message go off. Clifford or Viper have these options for about $50 additional and very easy to add.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by mowmow
you do know that clifford and viper are the same company, right??? (DEI)
same quality, has been for a long time.
both are top notch.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

you can get a radar/motion sensor (might need two) if you walk close enough to the car it will go off.

or you can just turn the sensitivity up on the shock sensor.
but every gust of wind will set it off...
Old 10-25-2005, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dgHotLava
you do know that clifford and viper are the same company, right??? (DEI)
same quality, has been for a long time.
both are top notch.
I do know since my buddy sells and install lots of DEI products. However for people that don't know Clifford actually is the higher end brand of the alarms. Just like Lexus and Toyota. Vipers alarms are nice in comparison to other cheap alarms on the market, but clifford still has a higher quality product.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionDad
What you are looking for is called a proximity sensor and they are a very nice alarm addition. You don't even have to touch the car, get within a foot of it and you can have a warn away message go off. Clifford or Viper have these options for about $50 additional and very easy to add.
Proximity sensors are pain in the butt !! Even if you have it calibrated to the way you want at your home, if you are up in the hills the alarm would behave differently. My co-worker just bought a S2000 and he had a prox sensor installed, it's been a headache for him, luckily the tech showed him how to adjust the sensitvity of the alarm to avoid having rude notes left on his car telling him to shut the alarm off.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

don't beleive the hype ... dei and clifford are the same as viper , stinger hornet kxp , esp , damn near all alarms ... if they are made overseas , "designed in usa" they come off the same factory lines using the same vendors ...
but there are some diffrences ,, some have better switches and or remotes or horns ... but the same thought goes in to them ... very rarely will a car alarm unit (the brain , go bad .. if it does it usually has to do with installation .... the remotes are not figured in this ... users drop throw get wet remotes all the time that is not counted in the alarm ...

but to answer the question ... there is alarms with "touch sence" NCS A-100 has it plus "RIM GAURD" and "CAR JACK MODE " . let me know .... if that is something you are looking for ....
Old 10-25-2005, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionDad
Proximity sensors are pain in the butt !! Even if you have it calibrated to the way you want at your home, if you are up in the hills the alarm would behave differently. My co-worker just bought a S2000 and he had a prox sensor installed, it's been a headache for him, luckily the tech showed him how to adjust the sensitvity of the alarm to avoid having rude notes left on his car telling him to shut the alarm off.
I agree with mowmow. proxes are a pain. Clifford (before DEI bought them) had a user adjustable prox that was really good. since the owner could adjust it, it meant less returns to the shop for adjustment.

but to answer the question ... there is alarms with "touch sence" NCS A-100 has it plus "RIM GAURD" and "CAR JACK MODE " . let me know .... if that is something you are looking for ....

what company has that feature? website?