Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Changing front speakers when adding amp question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member

Default Changing front speakers when adding amp question...

Ok.... think I may have jumped the gun before I did all my reasearch. I plan on changing out my system next week and ordered all my components last night. I ordered a Kenwood KAC-7005PS 5 channel amp to power everything (I'm older now and don't need to hurt my ears any worse...just looking for a nice clean sound). Already have the sub, so I ordered Polk DB521s for the back, DB651s for the doors and Kicker 11DS40s for the dash. Some of you know where I'm going now..... but the question is, how the heck do I push these 6 speakers off 4 channels? I know.... shoulda looked more and probably bought some components. I guess worst case I just run only the doors, but it would be nice to have some sound from the dash.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member

Ok.... the more I read it seems like it's possible after all. Only I'll be running 2 ohms up front and 4 in the rear. Correct? Any problems running this way?
Old 04-10-2013, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One part of amp is going to be running harder than the other. Lower ohm load also tends to introduce more distortion but not always noticeable. As long as the amp is stable at 2ohms (the spec sheet should list the output at all ohm loads its stable at). Most every amp I've seen is good to 2. You might notice the front or rear tends to be louder/quieter than the other since their not all wired the same. But you can toy with the gains to have them sound how you want.

You could try and see if the front speakers can be bought in 2ohm versions. (2ohm + 2ohm) would put a 4ohm load on that channel. Problem solved. But multiple ohm versions of a door speaker weren't very common back when I was into stereos. Mainly just subs.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:05 AM
5 Year Member

ditto on erager09

one other possibility is to find a crossover network they may help stabilize the ohm load

just curious why would you want another set of 4" for the dash. those polks are good speakers and unless your doing like a dolby surround set up, i would say they are not necessary. but your car your set up.