Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

DVD Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 02:26 AM
5 Year Member

Default DVD Install Help

Hey everyone my wife and I are awaiting the arrival of our new hot lava XB and are really excited!!! :D Were looking for any info we can find on How to install an in dash DVD player with flip up monitor mounted somewhere on the dash. Any web sites would help. I have a really good idea as to where I want to mount the screen but it needs to be motorized to flip up and im not sure how to do that. I have customized two other vehicles but never installed anything like this. Interior is no prob exterior is out of my realm. All Pics welcome of interior mods for fresh ideas. This will be a show condition car soon. Also PS2 must be in there too info welcome. Thanx to Lloyd Pederson for the great service here in NWFL. We are getting one of the two lavas ordered locally. Cant wait!!!
Old 02-19-2004, 02:46 AM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

This topic is getting a lot of looks. If someone could produce a "how to install a stereo into a Scion" tech article it would be great!

Darren
Old 02-19-2004, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yah. its just too hard to explain it all right here in one post
Old 02-19-2004, 07:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Default DVD Install with PS2

Are you trying to mount the monitor in the DIN location or trying to do a custom mount somewhere else on the dash? The first pic here is of a Ford F-150. The in-dash dvd player and flip up monitor is in the stock location, as it is in my xB (check profile for pics). The cool thing about this truck is that the PS2 is grafted into the dash on the far right side.

On March 1-7, my amp rack is being done (finally!!!) and I'm having PS2 put in. I'm not sure where my install team is going to put it because my passenger seat is filled with my navigaion unit and the jack is under the driver's seat, but I'll be damn sure to post some pics when and if it's installed. Hope this helps.

Mike R.
rolex87
Old 02-19-2004, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member

Default No in dash

I want to instsall it flat on the dash in front of the indicater panel just right of the speedo. It will end up looking like a moleded in bump in the dash when im done I just dont know how to motorize it or maybe ill just lift it by hand. I want to use a 8 to 12 in LCD so the din in dash style is just too small. Its more for actual use on loooooong trips than just show. We travel alot.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Default Install Help

I'll ask my installers when I'm having my amp rack done on the 1st. I'm not aware of a flip-up type that large, so you may have to resort to a smaller monitor, but I'll ask for you.

Mike R.
rolex87
Old 02-20-2004, 01:09 AM
5 Year Member

Cool that would be great. Any retailers for that kind of equipment online that you know of?
Old 02-23-2004, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

whats the biggest flip-up/out in dash dvd player + monitor you can install in our dash? will a 7" fit?
Old 02-23-2004, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i still have my 7" in dash ready to install. I've seen other xb's with it and it seems to fit just right. I'm still looking for a place to do my HU, amp, n sub install. any good ideas??
Old 02-24-2004, 07:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Re: No in dash

Originally Posted by Hot lava
I want to use a 8 to 12 in LCD so the din in dash style is just too small. Its more for actual use on loooooong trips than just show. We travel alot.
To be honest 8"-12" LCD will be too big of a distraction especially in the front while driving. Usually I keep my in-dash down when driving and my wife uses the 7" infront of her. My xBox is under my passenger seat with my tv tuner no clearance problems at all.

This is my setup...

hope this helps...click the links on my signiture for more pics.
hubert
Old 02-24-2004, 02:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree with Hubert. I think 7" up front is more than enough. Anything else would be too big a distraction. Don't mean to get off topic but what do u think about your Sirius Hubert. Everyone I work with has XM and I am the only one that likes and has Sirius. Can u post closer pics of the monitor on the pass. side so we can see how it is mounted as well as your dvd player? Thanks
Old 02-24-2004, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Jason,

I LOVE my Sirius satellite radio. XM still has commercials on them...well worth the extra $3 for commercial free music with sirius.

check out my car on my signiture to see more pics.

hubert
Old 02-25-2004, 05:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Default Monitor

Hey crxB, nice Alpine unit! CVA-1004 if i'm not mistaken? Nice piece. How's the 7" mounted in front of the passenger? And what size is the monitor in the back seat?

Mike R.
rolex87

Amp Rack Coming! - Feb. 2 - stay tuned for details
Old 02-25-2004, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Mike,

The 7" in the front has double sided tape on the back and to tell you the truth it really didn't need because the Nesa shroud that came with it (for headrest application) pressure fitted that spot perfectly. Kinda hollow on the side which will be gone once I get my xBox extensions.

The one on the back is a 13.3"

Hubert