Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Empty Fuse Slots?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 11:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Empty Fuse Slots?

I searched but i can't seem to find anything pertaining to this specifically...I just bought one of the mini add-a-circuit things as I plan on hard wiring up my cellphone charger/radar dectector/my daughters portable DVD player charger...but I was wondering if anyone has used one of these add-a-circuits things and/or has anyone tapped into one of the existing, but empty fuse slots...and if so, which empty fuse slots did anyone use??? I don't have a test light and I don't really want to buy one if I can get out of it but, I'd really like some info on this...If anyone can enlighten me or point me in the right direction I appreciate it....thx in advance fellow Scion lovers!!!!
Old 08-09-2006, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Empty Fuse Slots?

Originally Posted by chuckbaisden
I searched but i can't seem to find anything pertaining to this specifically...I just bought one of the mini add-a-circuit things as I plan on hard wiring up my cellphone charger/radar dectector/my daughters portable DVD player charger...but I was wondering if anyone has used one of these add-a-circuits things and/or has anyone tapped into one of the existing, but empty fuse slots...and if so, which empty fuse slots did anyone use??? I don't have a test light and I don't really want to buy one if I can get out of it but, I'd really like some info on this...If anyone can enlighten me or point me in the right direction I appreciate it....thx in advance fellow Scion lovers!!!!
I THINK the 2nd slot from the right on the botom row is constant on, with or without a key.

just hook up an LED to the mini-circuit and plug it into a slot. First with key out, then in ACC position, then in ON position....repeat ad nasuem until you find the type of power you need.

I dont know what kind of draw you need, but I am not sure if you can pull that much power through the fuse box.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

I wouldn't try to power a DVD player with the mini-add-a-circuit.

Btw, where did you get yours from? I cant seem to find it anywhere other than internet.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DiStUrBeD_AzN

Btw, where did you get yours from? I cant seem to find it anywhere other than internet.
Autozone has 'em for $4.99.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is there an amperage rating on them? That should give you an idea of about what you can and can't do with it. 100-300milliamps is about standard for most cell phone chargers. You could then look at the DC plug for your DVD player and see what it draws.

But basically amperage (flowing electrons) generates watts, which makes heat, which gets dissipated by the thickness of the wire it's running through. If it gets too hot, it melts.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default empty fuse slots?

I got mine from Advance Auto parts...i think their online store is PartsAmerica??
It says that the maximum is a 10A fuse, so I suppose that running all 3 would be a bit much, but if i could just get 2 of them that would be a big help??? Would I be better off just running a direct power from the battery w/ a fuse and just hookin it all up to a switch???
Old 08-09-2006, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dunno man, most portable electronic devices draw much less than an amp, and assuming each one was a total hog, 3 devices would still only equal 3 amps. That is ALOT of juice!

Things that draw alot of current are things like Hair Dryers, Vacuum Cleaners, Blenders... things like that....

Hey... you could run a blender and turn your ride into The Margaritamobile! haha... ok no
Old 08-09-2006, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm pretty sure this thread just answered a similar question I had. I want to install a bluetooth hands-free car kit in my wife's xB. I need two separate power connections: one that is switched by the ignition, and one constant on. I was hoping I could find both in the fuse box under the dash, but I'm not sure where. Also, I wasn't sure exactly how to tap in. What are these "add-a-circuit" things, and how do they work?
Old 08-09-2006, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Searching is your friend:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=add-a-circuit
Old 08-09-2006, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by matt_a
.... I need two separate power connections: one that is switched by the ignition, and one constant on. I was hoping I could find both in the fuse box under the dash, but I'm not sure where....
I already answered that. Fist reply.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

Originally Posted by HeathenBrewing
Originally Posted by DiStUrBeD_AzN

Autozone has 'em for $4.99.
Really? Mine doesn't have it. Do you know their part number?
Old 08-09-2006, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

matt_a,

Which bluetooth kit are you getting? I think it would be cool to get one with a mountable switch so you could make it flush and integrated with the car instead of some ugly box hanging off your car somewhere... most seem to be just that tho?
Old 08-09-2006, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok heres a great question.How about puting constant power to the wiper switch or would it get to hot? would this be ok I'm using the switch that controled my rear wiper and I wouls love to be able to turn it on w/the car off

Thanks Eddie
Old 08-09-2006, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sakko
matt_a,

Which bluetooth kit are you getting? I think it would be cool to get one with a mountable switch so you could make it flush and integrated with the car instead of some ugly box hanging off your car somewhere... most seem to be just that tho?
I'm installing the Motorola HF850. It's a pretty basic set, but that's why I like it. It's not too difficult to install, so I can save the $100 fee that my local stereo shop wants to put it in. I also like the fact that it doesn't use it's own voice recognition software. It relies on your phone's software. My wife's cell phone (Samsung D807) already has a great voice dial feature, so I didn't need to buy the more expensive HF1000. On the HF850, most of the components are hidden so the only thing you see on the dash is a really small controll unit. When she gets in and starts the car, the unit will automatically link up to her phone so she can just leave it in her purse. If the phone rings, she just presses a button and talks. If she wants to make a call, she just presses a button and say, "Call _____". It's pretty cool.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sakko
Hey... you could run a blender and turn your ride into The Margaritamobile! haha... ok no
YES! The perfect accessory to the Envy Green xBs ;)

But seriously, have you thought about just tapping into the wiring for the cigarette lighter? I don't know if it's a constant 12v, but it's fine for cellphone charger-esque devices.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default empty fuse slots?

Update for you guys...the empty fuse block slot right above the ACC fuse is the one that I used...it goes on and off with the ignition switch...and I decided against hooking up all 3...I just hardwired my cellphone charger and ran another for my daughters portable DVD (which I only use about 1-2 times a year) there is something about my cellphone charger everytime I plug it into the existing cig lighter it blows the fuse...so I am bypassing that all together...I have had my Scion 2 yrs and that crappy cig lighter set-up we have is the 1st thing that i've really been disappointed in...knock on wood!!!
Old 08-10-2006, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

matt_a,

Post some pics when you get the bluetooth installed, I'd like to see how it looks on your ride.