Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Engine bay lighting- Where can i tap the power??

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Engine bay lighting- Where can i tap the power??

I just got the Oznium FlowLighting for under my hood, but I have noo idea how I am going to get power to them. How do I splice into the power? Where? What do I need? I guess I really should have researched more before I bought the lights, but can someone help me out? Pictures would be awesome too, thanks!!
Old 09-25-2006, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

There are many DIY write-ups floating around this forum...
Old 09-25-2006, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Here's the link to a general write up that will tell you everything you need to know and a pic of my engine bay lighting...

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29238

Old 09-25-2006, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

good lookin out joe!

I've got mine coming off that block on the fuseboard (the link he posted) and they are switched on whenever the hood is up using a momentary (push type) switch
Old 09-25-2006, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by cherryBox
good lookin out joe!

I've got mine coming off that block on the fuseboard (the link he posted) and they are switched on whenever the hood is up using a momentary (push type) switch
That momentary switch is an awesome idea! I cant believe I never thought of that. I might look into it because I kinda wanna free up one of the switches in my interior for something else...
Old 09-25-2006, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does anyone have a picture of where they wired to the fuse box? Because when i look at the fuse box under my hood, all the empty fuse slots do not have power going to them it looks like.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:45 PM
BPG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Go out to Advanced Auto Parts, Pep boys or others and get yourself an Add-a-Circuit. They are made by Littel Fuse and cost about $10.00 bucks. Take off the black plastic engine compartment fuse cover. Once opened, the top fuse on the row to the right is the dome light fuse. It's 15 amp. Pull that fuse out and drop in the add-a-circuit. Just follow the directions included with the add-a-circuit and you're off and running.

I like the push button used in Mercedes Benz. Used from 1979 thru about 1986. Go to your local Junk yard. Find a Benz and pull all 4+1. Each door and the trunk will have them. Don't forget to cut long wire leads with the connectors. You will have to make a rectangular hole with a file and then they just snap in. The actuator shaft (round push pin) is extra long which makes them great for your application.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by BPG
Go out to Advanced Auto Parts, Pep boys or others and get yourself an Add-a-Circuit. They are made by Littel Fuse and cost about $10.00 bucks. Take off the black plastic engine compartment fuse cover. Once opened, the top fuse on the row to the right is the dome light fuse. It's 15 amp. Pull that fuse out and drop in the add-a-circuit. Just follow the directions included with the add-a-circuit and you're off and running.

I like the push button used in Mercedes Benz. Used from 1979 thru about 1986. Go to your local Junk yard. Find a Benz and pull all 4+1. Each door and the trunk will have them. Don't forget to cut long wire leads with the connectors. You will have to make a rectangular hole with a file and then they just snap in. The actuator shaft (round push pin) is extra long which makes them great for your application.
Sweet tip on the Benz switches. I will keep that in mind. This thread is informing me more than the person who started it...
Old 09-25-2006, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BPG

Awesome! Thanks for the tip on the add-a-circuit! I'll have to go pick one of those up and give it a try. Also thanks for telling me which fuse slot to use. Helps a lot, thank you. And that would be cool to get that push button switch from the benz so the lights come on when i lift my hood right? thats pretty cool
Old 09-26-2006, 12:03 AM
BPG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's correct. When you raise the hood, the lights will come on.