Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Eonon 626 DVD player review

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 06:14 PM
SL Member

Default Eonon 626 DVD player review

Hello all, I am beginning a project for the BCP toaster and wanted to share my experience with everyone from our community. I have a history of trying products that might be considered "crap" by others. With my previous acura and honda, I bought alot of products and reviewed them to give people an honest impression of the product. My biggest peave is when someone downs a product that they have had 0 contact or experience with. With my trials, I have come across some great "cheap" products and some absolute crap! So this is where I will start the review of the Eonon 626 in dash DVD player.

Company website: eonon.com

I purchased the Eonon E626. I snagged it for 205$ and after calling the company and shootin the breeze with a guy named Yun, I was able to get a break on the price. So I got the unit delivered for 230$ from Hong Kong.

http://www.eonon.com/D242.htm

This is the unit I bought, and here are how the features are listed.

Screen Size: 7" TFT LCD
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9 / 4:3
- Resolution: 480(H) x 3(RGB) x 34(V)
- Compatible Format: DVD/SVCD/VCD/DVCD/MP3/CD/CD-R/DVD-R/DVD+RW/DIVX/XIVD/ MPEG4
- Power Supply: DC10-15V
- Max Current: 4-15A
- Working Temperature: -20~60 ?
- Real time display
- Screen off when there is no signal detected
- Picture Rotation: up/down/left/right
- Built-in power amplifier with FR/FL/RR/RL speaker output
- Video 1 out/Video 2 out/Back car camera in/Video 1 in
- AUX Audio 1 L&R in/AUX Audio 1 L&R out
- Two-port TV antenna and radio antenna input
- TV System: NTSC/PAL
- USB/SD jack
- OSD Menu Language: English, French, Spanish, Russian, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese
- Subtitle/Audio: English, French, Spanish, Russian, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese
- DIVX Subtitle: Central Europe, Slavic Languages, Simplified Chinese
- FM(4 x 10) 87.5 - 108MHz, increasing 0.1MHz
- AM(1 x 10)520 - 1710KHz, increasing 10KHz
- Gross Weight: 2.8kg
- Net Weight: 2kg
- Package Size: 260(L) x 156(W) x 280(H)mm
- Install Size: 165(D) x 178(W) x 100(H)mm

Another nice aspect of this purchase, is that if I decide to keep it, Square Trade offers an equipment protection plan for only 30$. That covers three years of no hassle, equipment replacement. So if it is nice at first and breaks in 2 months, it is covered.

It is scheduled for delivery tomorrow and depending on the weather and my current project in school and work, I should have it in by the weekend. I will take pictures of the install and the interface once it is installed. The interface is my only real concern. If I am goin to wreck trying to use this thing, it will probably go back on to eBay! I am a bit sceptical, but history proves that if you don't like something, someone will buy it on eBay, so I won't be out any money regardless of the outcome. Stay tuned!
Old 03-20-2007, 03:34 AM
SL Member

Well, I recieved the unit today Fedex. 2 days shipping from Hong Kong (how come stuff don't move that fast in the US?) My first impression was not bad. Pretty generic packaging and instructions. Instructions where a VERY rough translation from Chinese, however if you have hooked up a radio before, you would have no problem. Taking apart the XB is delightful compared to a Honda or Acura. Installation was a bit problematic. Because I am not wanting to cut the center peice that fits (or don't) around the radio, It was a bit of a pain. I placed the stock mounts from the factory unit on the new radio, but had to shim it forward to clear the center area. The radio is a double din, but it does show too much beside of the radio. The pictures I will post will show this. I am goin to fabricate something to clean this up some. Everything works really well. The functions work really well. The TV picks up NBC and CBS with some static. Radio picks up well. The only think I have an issue with is the interface. When playing the radio, it looks pretty generic. Would have been nice to have some kind of screensaver of sort to liven it up some. You MUST switch to DVD function to insert DVD or CD. It will not take the CD or DVD otherwise. The picture is surprisingly very nice. You have inputs for rear camera and auxilary for videogame system (I am installing my NES!). Has outputs for other monitors, which is a future project.

I would give this unit a 3.5 out of 5 rating.

The interface is generic and could be nicer, and fitment pretty much sucks if unless you are wanting to customize your radio hole. For a 200$ in dash, 7" LCD DVD,CD, FM,AM Radio, TV, AUX DIVX, MP3 player, it is very nice. If you are on a budget or need something that you don't mind too much to get stolen, this is a great piece. If you are looking for something flashy or for show, you probably want to invest in something else. I will have to post the pictures later, I can't get to my online storage for some reason.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:49 AM
SL Member

See how the sides are left bare.... I am goin to fabricate something to fill these to make it look better.

WHen you are playing the radio, this is what you see...very generic, but you can black this out and still keep on the radio..

See how the base sits where the factory radio did. This makes the face stick out some. It really don't look to bad, I just need to fix the holes in the side.

Here is the rest of the pics. I burnt some SouthPark to CD real quick to test it out. It will look alot better when I get done. I could make it look really nice if I wanted to start cutting, but I am not convinced I will keep this radio for a long time. (I just love to switch out radios!)

Old 03-24-2007, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, i'm not sure if I'd want to start hacking apart my dash as well. Not a bad find for such little money.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they make install kits for the gaps. i bought a pair when i changed out my HU. that looks sweet. for so little money i guess you cant beat it.

looks like the volume is all the way on the other side. kind of a hassle. does it rattle when you drive on rough roads?
Old 03-26-2007, 01:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what about the usb and sd functions try hooking up a portable hd or something and see what it can play off there. In my experience lower budget stuff have no problem playing just about any format no matter how you encode it.

If this thing would read off video from a hdd i would definitely buy.

I wouldnt mind getting this from them now.
http://www.eonon.com/D16.htm
Old 03-30-2007, 01:31 AM
SL Member

It plays from the SD card and it reads from my Cingular 8125 when using the USB option. No rattles or anything. I have learned to live with its shortfalls and am still liking this unit alot. Still no issues. I am really amazed with it when I think how cheap it was. I am getting ready to attempt headrest LCD's and will update when I get them in. It has not failed to play any file type. Every now and then, it will give me a "invalid SD card" when playin from SD, but I use a Minisd-SD adaptor and I think that might be the problem. I really only have 2 issues with this unit. The FM radio interface sux..very generic looking, but you can cut off the screen after you tune your station. The face is not motorized, so when you open the face, it is a manual mechanism. No big deal really, but of course I am greedy
Old 09-18-2007, 08:38 PM

I just got mine yesterday. I am about to install it. I spent $40 extra on wire harness and side adaptors. Scion Xb is a 2-din WIDE. You can buy these adaptors at Best buyt for $20.

Daniel
Old 10-10-2007, 10:11 AM

Old 12-17-2007, 06:30 AM

Default Re: Eonon 626 DVD player review

Originally Posted by TN_Toaster
Hello all, I am beginning a project for the BCP toaster and wanted to share my experience with everyone from our community. I have a history of trying products that might be considered "crap" by others. With my previous acura and honda, I bought alot of products and reviewed them to give people an honest impression of the product. My biggest peave is when someone downs a product that they have had 0 contact or experience with. With my trials, I have come across some great "cheap" products and some absolute crap! So this is where I will start the review of the Eonon 626 in dash DVD player.

Company website: eonon.com

I purchased the Eonon E626. I snagged it for 205$ and after calling the company and shootin the breeze with a guy named Yun, I was able to get a break on the price. So I got the unit delivered for 230$ from Hong Kong.

http://www.eonon.com/D242.htm

This is the unit I bought, and here are how the features are listed.

Screen Size: 7" TFT LCD
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9 / 4:3
- Resolution: 480(H) x 3(RGB) x 34(V)
- Compatible Format: DVD/SVCD/VCD/DVCD/MP3/CD/CD-R/DVD-R/DVD+RW/DIVX/XIVD/ MPEG4
- Power Supply: DC10-15V
- Max Current: 4-15A
- Working Temperature: -20~60 ?
- Real time display
- Screen off when there is no signal detected
- Picture Rotation: up/down/left/right
- Built-in power amplifier with FR/FL/RR/RL speaker output
- Video 1 out/Video 2 out/Back car camera in/Video 1 in
- AUX Audio 1 L&R in/AUX Audio 1 L&R out
- Two-port TV antenna and radio antenna input
- TV System: NTSC/PAL
- USB/SD jack
- OSD Menu Language: English, French, Spanish, Russian, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese
- Subtitle/Audio: English, French, Spanish, Russian, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese
- DIVX Subtitle: Central Europe, Slavic Languages, Simplified Chinese
- FM(4 x 10) 87.5 - 108MHz, increasing 0.1MHz
- AM(1 x 10)520 - 1710KHz, increasing 10KHz
- Gross Weight: 2.8kg
- Net Weight: 2kg
- Package Size: 260(L) x 156(W) x 280(H)mm
- Install Size: 165(D) x 178(W) x 100(H)mm

Another nice aspect of this purchase, is that if I decide to keep it, Square Trade offers an equipment protection plan for only 30$. That covers three years of no hassle, equipment replacement. So if it is nice at first and breaks in 2 months, it is covered.

It is scheduled for delivery tomorrow and depending on the weather and my current project in school and work, I should have it in by the weekend. I will take pictures of the install and the interface once it is installed. The interface is my only real concern. If I am goin to wreck trying to use this thing, it will probably go back on to eBay! I am a bit sceptical, but history proves that if you don't like something, someone will buy it on eBay, so I won't be out any money regardless of the outcome. Stay tuned!

HEY im thinking of buying this dvd player i jsut wanted to know sicne you ahve had it for couple of months how is it now, is it still as it was when you bought it
thanks
Old 12-17-2007, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cant beat the price, once filled it will look fine
Old 12-17-2007, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

Wow! That's a darn good price!
Old 01-20-2008, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

TN_Toaster you've had the unit for almost a year. Have you or anyone else that has purchased this unit taken any pictures with the sides filled in? Do you have any technical updates for us?
Old 01-22-2008, 06:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

saw these on ebay today. not bad for the price. the screen when the radio is playing is a big turn off though...im sure ya can change it. for the price thats awesome though.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Apocalypse
SL Member

I bought one of their units about 2+ years ago and it is still working just as it was when I bought it. I couldnt pass up the price myself either. I like the new unit you found with the updated uses for SD and USB, maybe Ill have to get a new one now... Looks like they also cleaned up the wiring mess that mine came with, that a big plus...

Old 02-03-2008, 10:42 PM
SL Member

I have the sides filled in now. Don't have pics though. Still working awesome. The only problem I had was the volume buttons. I had to take it apart and reset the connects, but that has been it. I wan to upgrade to one of their nicer units, but this one will probably have to do for awhile!
Old 04-08-2008, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sweet thanks for the input everyone !
Old 05-27-2008, 04:01 PM

After fiddling with an Eonon unit that my buddy had in his car, I decided to get one for myself. It's pretty amazing what this cheap head unit can do. Plays most formats, though the user interface is kinda dull. But who cares. I love my Eonon.