Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Help with LCD Monitor install...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

Default Help with LCD Monitor install...

I have a kit with 2 5.6" monitors and i'm havin a hard time figuring out how to install it. The two TVs connect to this control box thingy. the box has a power cable that goes to it with 3 wires. Red (possitive im guessing), Black (neutral most likely), and Yellow (wtf is this for?). I've read some info online about dvd player and TV installs and supposively the yellow wire is the "Accessory" wire. I'm supposed to tie it into the "Accessory" wire at the fuse panel. Does this make any sense to anyone?

Also, i'm planning on runnin my PS2 to this control box. As far as connecting it, all i have for inputs is this special cable that came with it. It plugs into a wierd like 6 pin connector to the control box, then coming out of it, it has regular RCA (Yellow, white, red) cables. Just like the PS2 cables, their both males. How the f**k and i supposed to connect them?! Also there's a stereo headphone-like cable. What's the deal?

the kit is from these ho's:

http://www.mecissystems.com/index.htm

it's a headrest kit. I emailed them to see if i can get instructions, but just in case, i'm hoping i can get some answers here. thanks
Old 04-25-2005, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

never done it before but that control box it likely a power inverter. Convert dv 12v to 110v ac. Well the the yellow accesory is a power source that is always on.

Where you see the black thing plugged in is where you could connect your wire.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

ok thanks! so the red positive wire i could just run to the battery?
Old 04-25-2005, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the yellow needs to go to a power source ( constant or non) black has to be secured to metal to make sure its grounded( closer to the box the better) .. and red wire should go to the accesory so that that it will turn on when the headunit turns on...it can also be ran to a switch
Old 04-25-2005, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

ok i'll try it dude. will i be able to tell if the screens work tho? cause right now i have no video feed being sent to the control box, because i only have composite cables in male form, and the ps2 has comp. cables in male form, will a coupler work for this?

Also, i can tie the red(accesory) wire to where nick posted up there right? and yellow i can just run to the battery, or where can i get constant power at the fuse panel? are u sure red is accesory and yellow is constant and not the other way around? thanks for your help dude
Old 04-26-2005, 01:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

Well, i hooked it all up today. Both screens work, i'm just having problems getting video to them lol. The 1 screen that is scratched up quite a bit, is stuck on "invert screen" mode. So the screen is upside down, i guess i will have to mount it upside down lol, but the menu on that screen is flakey, some of the buttons don't work etc.

The other screen is just fine though. I have the power to the little control box running from a switch that has power directly from the battery. I have the red and yellow wires spliced together, and black is just grounded. As far as getting video to the screens....

The 1 cable that plugs into either the "VCR" slot or the "Accesory" slot at the control box, has the Component plugs (yellow,red,white) i hooked up a video camera to test the screens. THe video camera has female Component hook ups on itself, so the male cables that are coming from the control box plug right it. So i hit the main switch that sends power to the control box, nothing turns on... Then i turn the video camera on so that it sends the video feed out to whatever the component cables connect to. The TV's turn right on. THen they go black, and any video that the camera is picking up or displaying isn't sent to the screens. Then i tried to connect my PS2 with a Coupler i bought. The ps2 male components go into one side, and the male components from the control box go to the other. Same thing happens. I hit the main power switch, screens don't turn on. Then i turn on the PS2 and the screens come on, but still no video that the PS2 is sending gets to the screen.

On the screens i can go into the menu and select either AV1, or AV2 inputs. The screens themselves have only 1 wire going between them and the control box. Also i can select PAL or NTSC for both AV inputs. NONE of them work for either the PS2 or the Video camera. Any ideas?
Old 04-27-2005, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

Here is a description of the unit i wrote on another forum:

a sqaure black box. 3 connectors on one side, and another 3 on the opposite side. 1 side has a plastic box connector (just like a power connector inside a computer) with 4 small box's within it. Three of the boxes have leads in them, 1 red wire, 1 yellow, 1 black. That wire gets power and grounds the unit, there's just three wires at the end of that cable. now, on that same side of the box "brain", there's 2 of the same type of connectors, a wierd 8~pin design sort of like a PS2 mouse and keyboard would have. 1 of them is labled "VCR" the other is "Accessory". Then i have 2 exact same cables that can fit that type of connector. Well their very similar. 1 of the cables has Component connectors, red,yellow,white; and it has a wire that goes to a headphone male connector; it also has 3 wires that go to the exact type of connector that the black box brain has to get power from the battery. the wires are red,blue,black. I have no idea where they connect, maybe the company sells a separate unit that these can connect to for some special reason. Anyhow, the other cable has that same red,blue,black connector, and it has JUST a component video connector (yellow), it has the 2 wires for audio (red,white), but they don't have the connectors on the wire, just bare wires with a sleeve over both of them.

NOW, the other side of the box. 2 of the connectors are exactly the same, i have 2 of the exact same cables that plug into those 2 connectors and go to the screens, it's just ONE cable, 1 solo cable, nothing else.
The LAST connector is a special one, that has it's own special cable that won't fit in any other connector. It has like 10~ pins, and is labled "Transmitter". That cable has these 2 FEMALE component looking connectors on it, BUT they're blue and yellow. It also has some wierd ___ sqaure plastic piece that has 1 piece of metal in it, some wierd connector.

that's basically it. I've tried pluging the yellow component connector from the PS2 into the wierd "Transmitter" cable, it boots the screens up but still NO video.
here are some pics of the cable. i just tried EVERYTHING and still no video, but the TVs don't turn on unless i have the yellow component connected to 1 of those cables, either the VCR or Accessory port. The transmitter cable doesn't turn on the screens at all, so i have no idea wtf that one does.

this is one of the either VCR or Accessory cables:

THere is another cable similar to this like i said, but it has red/white component ends too, this cable has the wires for it but no connectors. THey both have the same red,blue,black power connector thing

THis is the cable that goes to the "Transmitter" port on the brain splitter unit thing. See the wierd power connectors, the black plastic one and the other white plastic one?

This is the cable that goes to the screens, i have one cable for each screen, and there's 1 port for each screen on the splitter/brain unit:

Thats basically it. Of course there's the cable that gets power to the brain unit, it has the same connector as the red,blue,black one, BUT it's red,yellow,black. And the connector GOES to the brain not FROM it lol.

The way i wired the power is like this:

I tied the red and yellow cables together, and then tied BOTH of them to a wire that comes from a swith i have in the dash. the switch has a fused wire running straight from the battery to the switch. THen i tied the black wire into another ground wire running to a bolt right outside the firewall in the engine bay.

Now that i think about it, i might have the red&yellow wires tied into the wrong end of the switch, i will have to check that tommorow. BUT anyhow, the LCDs don't turn on AT all until i turn the switch to the on position so i don't think thats it.

Now the PS2 i have it's power coming from an inverter that's connected to the cigarette lighter. then the standard composite cable runs from the PS2 to a Coupler, that has the "VCR" cable (like the one above, but the one with audio connectors too) plugged into it. Like i said, the LCDs only turn on after i have the switch on AND then turn the PS2 on. If i just hit the switch they don't turn on.