Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Hooking up head unit with vid to parking brake and reverse.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Hooking up head unit with vid to parking brake and reverse.

I've been looking at a couple of head units with video that need to be connected to the parking brake for the video to work, A few also have the ability to switch to the rear view camera when the vehicle is shifted into reverse. Anyone know how hard this to hook up on the xB?
Old 04-02-2006, 06:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not hard at all, buy a metra harness kit for easier install. i have pioneer head unit but i did not hook up the parking brake, installed a relay instead. some people just ground it or use an inline switch then ground...i wanted access to vid while driving(no flames please). as far as the reverse camera, your head unit should come with an extra wire that you can use to tap in to your reverse lights(voltage change will trigger rear view features as long as long as you have your unit set up correctly)

ooooh if you haven't bought the unit yet................i'm selling mine. here's a link of all the specs http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...089338,00.html
it's about 4 months old and is registered thru pioneer and still have factory warranty and original packaging and manuals, harness, relay and install kits will be thrown in too( i want an eclipse double din with hard drive) pm me if interested
Old 04-02-2006, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

most of your newer headunits with screens are making it more difficult to bypass the parking brake bypass. Pioneer uses the built in gyro in thier N2 so you can't just ground the brake wire to play video through the screen while the car is in motion.

but with everything, there is always a way around it.