Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

How Hard Is it to Install an Alarm? Brand questions -Hornet

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default How Hard Is it to Install an Alarm? Brand questions -Hornet

So i'm looking at getting a Hornet 564T. First anyone with experiance with this alarm? How does it stack up to the "popular" viper and clifford 2-ways. And secondly how hard is it to install? (alarms in general or this alarm specifically) If you're not familar with this alarm here at the specs.

Hornet 564T
2-Way Security System / Remote Start System!
5 channel remote start/security/keyless entry system
# Confirms commands and system triggers on the transceiver LCD screen
# Clone-Safe® Code-Hopping®
# Parking Light Flash
# Failsafe® Starter Kill
# Anti-Grind
# Stinger® DoubleGuard® Shock Sensor
# Revenger® Six-Tone Siren
# Super Bright LED System Status Indicator
# Miniature XCRS (Extreme Capacity Relay Satellite)
# Defroster Output
# Built-in Turbo Timer
# 3 Auxiliary outputs
# Dome Light Supervision
# Includes One 2-way LCD Transceiver and One 4-Button Transmitter.

http://www.directed.com/security/hornet/horn_2way.asp

Any help is appreciated...thanks in advanced.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:34 AM
5 Year Member

Looks like a good alarm, you usually don't get much better than a Directed prod. Basically all the same from the same manufacturer, it's like cars Lexus, Toyota, and Scion same parent co. I personally opted for a different alarm sys...just my pref.. But first off before you decide what alarm you get, you should decide if it has the features YOU want. Sometimes some alarms have dozens of capabilities but the truth is are you going to make use of ALL of them.
Secondly if you are going to make use of most or all of the features you probably should have it professionally installed, spend the money to avoid any problems, because shops usually have a warranty on installs, get it done right the first time. Because it ain't so easy that a Caveman could do it.lol! hope that helps
Old 12-04-2005, 03:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you ever dealt with wiring alarm or any electronics in a car before? If so, you can probably an alarm. That being said, this is a remote start system which can be a PITA if you are new the world. It will be a weekend filled with frustration until you get it working. But you could probably justify that for saving hundreds of dollars on installation. That being said, I'd recommend get it professionally done, but it's your choice.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rivulent
Have you ever dealt with wiring alarm or any electronics in a car before? If so, you can probably an alarm. That being said, this is a remote start system which can be a PITA if you are new the world. It will be a weekend filled with frustration until you get it working. But you could probably justify that for saving hundreds of dollars on installation. That being said, I'd recommend get it professionally done, but it's your choice.
i have some electronic experiance...mainly installing car stereo stuff and some car electronics...turbo timers, gauges, etc. alarms just intimdate me because of all of the wires and stuff. i guess i'll look for someone to install the alarm. but thanks for the help all
Old 12-04-2005, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Same alarm as the ot hers just a few less deatures and a different casing. Made in same place by same people. Kinda like dodge chrysler plymouth..... :\

If you have never done it I would recommend paying someone to do it.

Its not hard to find all the wires, but understanding the polarity the programming and other things that arent worded to understandably in the manuals.

I do it for a living now , and I know I had problems understanding them by just reading the manuals.

But hey if you want to take the chance and you want to do it yourself, there is a h ow to install the alarm in the FAQ section I had written up.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SmartAss
Same alarm as the ot hers just a few less deatures and a different casing. Made in same place by same people. Kinda like dodge chrysler plymouth..... :\

If you have never done it I would recommend paying someone to do it.

Its not hard to find all the wires, but understanding the polarity the programming and other things that arent worded to understandably in the manuals.

I do it for a living now , and I know I had problems understanding them by just reading the manuals.

But hey if you want to take the chance and you want to do it yourself, there is a h ow to install the alarm in the FAQ section I had written up.
i read that FAQ very nice job. yea i think i'm going to pay someone. its a bit intimidating. =\
Old 12-04-2005, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Better then hooking something up wrong and then something stops working.....
Old 12-04-2005, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would have to agree with smartass, you could do it your self, but its easier to pay somone to do it and if somthing goes wrong down the road you can bring it back and have them troubleshoot it, versus you trying to figure out the problem yourself. So it may hurt the wallet, but in the long run leave it to us professionals, keeps money in our pockets.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I always try to do things my sellf first, but with alarms/remote starts if u hook something up wrong u can do some damage. The xb is very easy to install an alarm in though, just get the diagram found in the faq section, test all the wires with a volt meter and connect from alarm to car.. In some cars its not that simple, but in the xb, it really is. If your not comfortable doing it though, i wouldnt recomend it.