Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

How Much To Dynamat a XB???

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default How Much To Dynamat a XB???

I considering Dynamating my XB...any ideas on the cost? I thought that it would give the doors a better sound as well as improve the noise level in the car. I cringe everytime my daughter slams the rear doors.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I did my entire floorboard with Brown Bread (check the link out) and partial areas on my door. Brown Bread is like dynamat just cheaper and unless you are logo happy or want bragging rights I don't think there is much difference between the two products just cost... hope this helps

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...092461162&rd=1
Old 04-27-2004, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Did you do the install or someone else? What was the total cost and time involved? Thanks
Old 04-27-2004, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I installed myself and I think it was less than $160 not sure on the time did it in differnt stages. Here is a couple of install pics...

Oh yeah I also covered the back of both rear seats to deaden the area between the amp rack frame rails and the seat back metal... believe me there is plenty of this brown bread to do alot... It is very sticky so what I did was lay it out and kinda preform it then remove the backing off of it and install, if you have kids give them all rollers it will save you time and pain...

http://groups.msn.com/GearheadJr/toy...oto&PhotoID=48

http://groups.msn.com/GearheadJr/toy...oto&PhotoID=81
Old 04-27-2004, 04:38 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Rodney Ray told me he added 60 lbs worth of Dynamat to his xB.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I think Mike, Rolex87, Dynamatted the bejesus out of his xB. I saw a link to the pics and was like . He probably needs it for the kickass system he's got. He might be able to give you some input.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

Originally Posted by Toy xbox
I installed myself and I think it was less than $160 not sure on the time did it in differnt stages. Here is a couple of install pics...

Hey Toy xBox, that looks cool. I was thinking about doing some of that for my xB. The only thing is, I've never taken off things like door panels, seats, and carpeting in a car before and am worried that (1) I wouldn't be able to put things back together properly and (2) that I would break those plastic/rubber plugs that hold door panels and such on so that I couldn't put things back together properly. Is this something a car newbie could do (with a lot of patience, of course)?

Also, if I did end up breaking those plastic/rubber plugs, can replacements be found someplace like Autozone or by contacting Toyota/Scion?

(Excuse me if I seem too worried about those plastic/rubber plugs but my last car had several missing after some guy at Best Buy did a crappy job installing some aftermarket speakers and wiring.)

Thanks,
Old 04-27-2004, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

I used about 110-120 sq ft by the time I was all done with my ride. I used xtreme dynamat, which is much better than regualr dynamat, according to tests I've seen in car magazine (put on by the editors, not Dynamat). In the Nov-Dec issue of Car Sound and Performance there is a test where xtreme lowered distortion nearly completely, and lowered noise by 20db. I think in a car it's guaranteed to lower noise 3 db. I know my deck isn't on as loud now, the doors slam like they're solid, and the interior is really quiet. On my 2.5 hr drive to Fremont to the BBQ, the car was really quiet. The really bumpy spots gave me lots of noise because the tires were loud, but on stretches where the road was newly paved I heard my music and that was it. My sig has some pics in it. The imagestation album has all the pics, but the pic where the rear quarters were done was about half way through. All that metal got covered. If there's any road noise now, it's coming from the glass!!!

Mike R.
rolex87
Old 04-27-2004, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used dynamat from the windows down, the floor and as far as I could reach up the firewall. I'd recommend it highly. It's worth every penny. The road noise is much much less. If you go with two bulk packs you'll have enough. Thats roughly 72 sq ft.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Dylan
Originally Posted by Toy xbox

Hey Toy xBox, that looks cool. I was thinking about doing some of that for my xB. The only thing is, I've never taken off things like door panels, seats, and carpeting in a car before and am worried that (1) I wouldn't be able to put things back together properly and (2) that I would break those plastic/rubber plugs that hold door panels and such on so that I couldn't put things back together properly. Is this something a car newbie could do (with a lot of patience, of course)?

Also, if I did end up breaking those plastic/rubber plugs, can replacements be found someplace like Autozone or by contacting Toyota/Scion?

(Excuse me if I seem too worried about those plastic/rubber plugs but my last car had several missing after some guy at Best Buy did a crappy job installing some aftermarket speakers and wiring.)

Thanks,
You should remove the inside cover over the mirror mounting area befor pulling on the door panel. The plugs on the door panel are usually easy there is one at the top of both front doors that has a phillips head one turn and it comes out . If I remember right there is two screws one in the door pull and one in the opening to open the door. I open the door completely, then there is a spot right below the connection piece that keeps the door from opening to far grap that and pull on it. I have found that doing a quick rather than slow pull pops the plugs out with out damage or falling off. But you want to control it enough to not stretch out the wire harness to the window and door lock switch. The hardest part for me is disconnecting the wire harness from the switches, got have strength in the fingers. The back doors are similar, most every thing is snap together. You just have to get that feel of knowing when not to keeping trying to pull something apart when it doesn't give and look for other attachment devices before it breaks. As far as replacemnet parts, I have found that almost everything is available from Toyota you might have to order it but they usually have it in a day. Hope this helps, have fun
Old 04-28-2004, 12:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

A dynamat extreme bulk kit goes for 350 - 450, you would probably need one and a half to two of those to do the ENTIRE car, one should be fine for the doors, hatch and trunk floor.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by oneslowxa
A dynamat extreme bulk kit goes for 350 - 450, you would probably need one and a half to two of those to do the ENTIRE car, one should be fine for the doors, hatch and trunk floor.
Retail price is only $250, you can find it on ebay for about $140-160 shipped.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member

i found a dynamat xtreme bulk pack (36 sq ft) for $111....
check it out......
http://app.infopia.com/Shop/Control/...69253/vpcsid/0
Old 04-29-2004, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

At the auto show that just past in the NYC, they had retail shops on the top floor and there was this place that had everything... rims, speakers, tv's, anything for a car anyway I asked the guy how much would it be for them to dynomat the entire xB, doors and all, and he said it would run me about 600 bucks. He also said that would be a waste to do that, according to him you just need the back of the car done. My 2 cents... *shrug*
Old 04-29-2004, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

lol, we had a surplus of mousepads in the IT department of my old high school. I took some home and used them to sound-deaden my computer cases... Ghetto rigged? no..frugal? yes :D
Old 04-29-2004, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by haggardshts
i found a dynamat xtreme bulk pack (36 sq ft) for $111....
check it out......
http://app.infopia.com/Shop/Control/...69253/vpcsid/0
Great Price. Shipping though? Might be $30.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:19 AM
5 Year Member

thats still better than 200+.....
if you just go to google and search for dynamat xtreme bulk pack, you'll find great prices.....
i've found it as low as $97....that was a few days ago......
didn't remember to get the link
Old 04-29-2004, 08:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Gwardo
He also said that would be a waste to do that, according to him you just need the back of the car done.
Well Dynamat also reduces road noise I think so doing the entire car would prolly make out box quieter. Besides I want to close my door and sound like a Benz

Just my 2 cents,
Old 04-29-2004, 04:25 PM

Deadening your ENTIRE car is a very good idea. Eliminates road noise while keeping your sound inside. This means 1) your music will sound louder and 2) you won't have to turn it down as much while passing in neighborhoods and for the few of us that have recieved citations, it cuts down on that too. 3)Cuts down on the flexing of body panels.

I haven't seen anyone mention the roof, the roof will flex more than anything else on the car and it's VERY VERY easy to deaden, as easy as everything else. Plus it's flat so you won't have to mold the deadener as much. Don't forget to remove the pillar trim and deaden under there too.

Dynamat isn't the only deadener around, and it sure isn't the best or the cheapest. The only reason to choose dynamat over anything else would be to say you have dynamat. My personal preference is www.secondskinaudio.com , ANT is a really nice guy, shoot him an email saying what you have and he'll recommened what you need, not what he wants you to buy. And probably save you ALOT of cash in the process.

Jordan

Old 04-29-2004, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

brown bread, not just for sandwiches anymore :D

Quick Reply: How Much To Dynamat a XB???