Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

How Much To Dynamat a XB???

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

My roof is matted! My roof is matted! And I got my bulk packs of xtreme shipped t o my door for like 92 bucks a pack a while back in Feb. on Ebay. I can't say enough how much this stuff works.

Mike R.
rolex87
Old 04-30-2004, 01:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by failed_ethics

Dynamat isn't the only deadener around, and it sure isn't the best or the cheapest. The only reason to choose dynamat over anything else would be to say you have dynamat. My personal preference is www.secondskinaudio.com , ANT is a really nice guy, shoot him an email saying what you have and he'll recommened what you need, not what he wants you to buy. And probably save you ALOT of cash in the process.

Jordan
How do these alternatives stack up to Dynamat Xtreme? I can understand everything being nearly equal with the origional, but the Xtreme claims to be 4x more effective, and no Heat gun necessary.

Unless someone can tell me otherwise, I'm going to ge with Dynamat Xtreme. For the $50-100 extra it will cost, seems foolish to cut corners.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have used most of the dynamat products from when they first came out and thought it was the best you could get. I recently tried brown bread on three of my cars because it was half the cost of using dynamat. To be honest I can't tell the difference. (I have done over twenty audio systems configurations from 1984 most of it was during the mini truck craze/Thunder on wheels, from 26+ speaker systems down to 10. Now with the new Scion cars it is getting me back into Car audio.)

I just can't see spending the additional money anymore for deadening material, each company makes their claims.

http://www.b-quiet.com/compare.html
http://www.dynamat.com/sound_dbate.htm

I have used both, install is the same I have only used heat when it was below 60, prep is the same, your hands get dirty on both, one comes with a sticker the other doesn't, I got to buy a short shifter with the one wouldn't have been able to with the other.

My point is that unless you travel around with a noise meter or display a sticker on your car you won't really notice any difference. If money is no object and you like brand recognition chose that brand. If you just want to improve over factory sound deadening and want some pocket change or other toys to add to your car go with the cheaper product. Overall it's your money, your car just have fun with it...
Old 04-30-2004, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Thanks for all your responses. I only said Dynamat because it's a household name. Just like all people say that they use Q-Tips (which is a brand) when most just reach for that Pathmark brand cotton swap :D I will check out any brand that works and will save me money. Brown Bread, beige biscuits or burnt cookies I don't mind
Old 04-30-2004, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Don’t forget the 7 grain, honey & oat and extra fiber versions. I am sure if they could market an environmentally safe no odor elephant dung sound deadener, it would work just as well. :D
Old 05-08-2004, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and pick up some Peal n Seal in the roofing area. Probably comparable to original dynamat but with an aluminum barrier so it looks like dynamat extreme. Cost about $16 for a 6"x25' roll. So a little over $1/square foot. Applies just like the other deadeners. No logos so if that is your thing then this is not for you. Good stuff, I used it in my Nissan Frontier before I bought my xB. I will use it again in my xB. also, the 6 inch width makes for easy installation.

Hope this helps
Mike
Old 05-09-2004, 03:40 AM
5 Year Member

Did the Peel and Seal stuff help road noise? I want to do that, but I'm weary about how to apply the peel and seal stuff. Heat gun needed?
Old 05-09-2004, 08:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I heard peel and seal smells. Since it is mainly made for roofing you can smell the scent of tar or whatever compound it is made off. You can also go to the peel and seal website and they can send you samples of it. I received the samples but am still debating wheter or not to use it. But supposely it works as a sound deadner since it is made out of a similar compound.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member

Peal n Seal does not smell like tar or any other roofing materials. It smells just like the other materials. Yes it helps with road noise. All sound deadening material will help with road noise. That was what it was originally designed to do.

When installing I did use a heat gun but that was because I had one available. I would make sure the surface was clean (alcohol works and it evaprates quickly) get a rough measurement, cut the piece of peal n seal, heat the peal n seal and then remove the backing and place where needed. And i used a small roller (also available from Lowes or HD in the laminate tile area) to get a good bond and eliminate any small wrinkles.

Mike
An Actual Peal N Seal User :D
Old 05-09-2004, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How much does this reduce road noise, completely independent of music?
Old 05-09-2004, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member

That is a tough question to answer, I don't think anyone will be able to give you a good answer to that one because of the variables such as tires, road conditions and speed. It will provide as much sound deadening as the other basic sound deadeners.

There was a thread on Carsound or another board (audio based boards) and one guy called peal n seal and they indicated that they produce a product for an audio company. Hmm maybe the one that looks identical to peal n seal?

Bottom line it is good stuff at a fair price and readily available. Heck, for $15 bucks you could install multiple layers or rip it out if you think you can't hear a difference.

Mike
Old 06-16-2004, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

has anybody ever used or even heard of this stuff? http://store.yahoo.com/quietcoat/
looks like the stuff goes outside (undercoating) and inside like the other products.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:38 AM
5 Year Member

Default my ears were burning

Hello all.
My name is ANT. I am the owner of Second Skin Audio.
I am not here to spam or sell my products. Only to answer questions if I can.
Some one clicked to my site fromthis thread so I thought I would stop in and introduce my self..
I actually belong to about 20 forums. each time someone reaches my site through a random thread like this one I sign up and offer my assistance..
If anyone has any sound deadening quesitons feel free to email me. I am always happy and eager to help, whether you use Second Skin or not.

I dont own I scion. actually, my wife drives a honda element. another boxy little SUV..XUV or whatever. I am currently thinking about a demo car for Second SKin so if anyone has any thoughts on how a scion would be feel free to let me know... (remember, it is my wife that drives the element, not me :? )

Glad to be part of this forum

ANT
Old 06-23-2004, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

B-Quiet had a link to a british magazine that ran a test on tons of products at one point that showed how their products matched up against the others. While B-quiet was just ok and B-quiet extreme was a little better than normal Dynamat, Brown Bread was the best that they tried out. It was better than Dynamat and less than half as much per square foot. I plan to use brown bread and anyone else that wants the best bang for buck probably ought to as well.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I've been looking for peal and seal everywhere. I have yet to find a lowes or home depot that carries it. I've also tried a few little local places. If anyone in nova/d.c. knows where to get some lemme know.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Uno1200mob
I've been looking for peal and seal everywhere. I have yet to find a lowes or home depot that carries it. I've also tried a few little local places. If anyone in nova/d.c. knows where to get some lemme know.
Here is a link from an online roofing supply place, use the drop down menu and look for Peel N Seal: Roofing Wholesale

Got that from a post on Sound Domain or something.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Line-X

i have read a few forums of proffesionals using Line-X or a similar bed liner sprayed over the whole interior of the car instead of using a mat product. when you think about it, a spray in solution like this would probably work better since it bonds to every nook and cranny of the metal surfaces. it's not cheap, though. when i called the line-x guys in tampa, they said they do it quite often for performance audio people, but it's at least a grand to do because of the time it takes to spray multiple coats to the roof and pillars, etc.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When you dynamat the door, do you the inside part under the plastics or the part behind the paint?
Old 07-19-2004, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member

Default Re: Line-X

Originally Posted by darthgromit
i have read a few forums of proffesionals using Line-X or a similar bed liner sprayed over the whole interior of the car instead of using a mat product. when you think about it, a spray in solution like this would probably work better since it bonds to every nook and cranny of the metal surfaces. it's not cheap, though. when i called the line-x guys in tampa, they said they do it quite often for performance audio people, but it's at least a grand to do because of the time it takes to spray multiple coats to the roof and pillars, etc.
BEd liner sprays are actually horrible for sound deadening.
Once cured, the spray actaully has it own resonating frequencie. so all you are really doing is weighing the car down..
liquid dampers, elastomeric sprays that are designed for acoustic treatments take teh energy from the vibrations and convert it in to heat. this distributes the vibrations through out the damnper even ly and reduces the structures resonating frequency to inaudible levels...
ANT