Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Installed an always-hot 12v outlet

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 10:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Installed an always-hot 12v outlet

EDIT -corrected
My wife has a 2006 XA. We bought it new in '07 as a gas saver/family car. It now has 140,000 miles. Can't ask for a better car, mechanically, and maintenance is easy. But having only one 12v outlet sucks, and it only has power when the ignition is on ACC or ON.
So I added another 12v outlet (cigarette lighter socket), that's always hot.

I originally did this half-assed and tapped into the fog light switch connector, because I didn't want the splice visible from the fuse panel, and I didn't want to pull down the fuse box (instrument panel junction box) from inside the dash. It backfired, because I didn't check the wiring diagram or check the voltage under different switch positions (ignition, light, etc).
So I re-did it in a few minutes, tapping into the input of the dome lamp circuit, with another fused circuit branching off of that. Didn't feel like spending anymore time on this simple project. All connections were soldered, heat shrinked, and additional insulating was added in some cases. Ground runs to the passenger side kick panel ground.

As far as where the outlet/socket came from, I forgot already. I do remember I got it in the import section at Pull-A-Part.
Now we can drive the kids around, and when we kill the ignition, the DVD player in the back (dual monitor dvd system) doesn't lose power. It was getting old having to start the dvd's from the beginning and skip ahead chapters, everytime we got back in the car.

Last edited by onyxxtreme; 11-29-2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: messed up wiring, initially
Old 12-27-2012, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member

Great idea, I plan to do the same in my satty, except an outlet for the rear seats and 1 in the truck for when I go camping and suck.

Pretty easy and cheap, especially from a jy!!
Old 02-24-2013, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member

I got problem with my cigarette lighter ,doesn't work ,sometimes works others not so I can't charge my cell phone ,do you know how to replacement ,I took the ash ,well the whole part but I don't know how to take it out ,it has a black piece holding it