Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Installing Speakers Voids warranty. says Scion Headquaters.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Installing Speakers Voids warranty. says Scion Headquaters.

Well I emailed the scion Headquarters this weekend about trying to get the depth on the front and back speakers. They emailed me today with this response.

Thank you for contacting Scion.

We apologize we do not recommend installing aftermarket speakers in the tC. This
may possibly void your warranty. We are also unable to provide you with the
dimensions of the speakers.

Please feel free to contact us should you have any further questions or
comments. We would be happy to assist you. You may contact us directly at
1-866-70-SCION or by email at
https://secure.scion.com/scion/ssl/c...contactForm.do

You may also want to click on the following link for
https://secure.scion.com/scion/ssl/c...draiserForm.do

Thank you for your interest in Scion.

Scion Customer Experience

What the Heck is that about. Its not Mark Levingston Audio System in a Lexus. most people are gonna upgrade sometime down the road.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I already have my custom sub set-up for my tC when it arrives...

I never like factory...Paper speakers SUCK!

-in my opinion...I'm all about sound & bass...
Old 08-23-2004, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default speaker warranty

when they said it voids the warranty? what exactly does it void the speaker warranty? i never knew the speakers were under warranty also.

for how long are they under warranty for?
Old 08-23-2004, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it may void your speaker/stereo warrenty- but no way will it affect your powertrain warrenty....
Old 08-23-2004, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Originally Posted by UnFocused
it may void your speaker/stereo warrenty- but no way will it affect your powertrain warrenty....
I'd laugh my ___ off if I head a dealer saying that he will not fix my transmission because I replaced the speakers
Old 08-23-2004, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

All the parts you replace will no longer be covered - DUH. You took them out. It's not a blanket warranty, they don't void it all or none. If you have a complaint that your stereo is having trouble, they may charge you to look at it, which is reasonable, since you've altered it from what they made/are used to.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default speaker warranty

what part of the warranty are the speakers covered in? i never knew the speakers were covered under warranty. so if i happen to blow out the speakers by accident they will replace them?
Old 08-23-2004, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member

I would suggest Crutchfield.com for the dimensions. They already have all the dimensions setup for the tC.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Can you be any more sensationalistic? They didn't say it DID void the warranty, they said "This may possibly void your warranty."
Old 08-23-2004, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by lucky
Can you be any more sensationalistic? They didn't say it DID void the warranty, they said "This may possibly void your warranty."
Exactly, my guess is that if they figure you call them to ask the dimensions for these new speakers, they must assume that you are going to install them yourself. Scion is probably worried about young DIYers or old ones for that matter getting into their dash and cutting the wrong wires or just plain screwing something up, then trying to come to Scion for a warranty repair. My guess is that this is about the same response you would get from ANY car maker. Just my two cents.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

That blows my mind how pathetic it is that Scion Headquarters could not provide the dimensions of the speakers. What the hell?!? Yeah you could always just measure it yourself, or look it up if crutchfield has it, but still, thats not the point, its Scion Headquarters.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Redfish
That blows my mind how pathetic it is that Scion Headquarters could not provide the dimensions of the speakers. What the hell?!? Yeah you could always just measure it yourself, or look it up if crutchfield has it, but still, thats not the point, its Scion Headquarters.
Yeah, it could've been "we don't recommend blah blah could void warranty, BUT here's the dimensions if you are willing to take the risk..."
Old 08-24-2004, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Who in the hell calls SCION hq for specs on the car anyways. Look in the factory service manuals or any place online. They are 6.5" speakers and you have tons of depth.

The factory speakers aren't paper anyways. They are polymer and made by pioneer.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nick@AGP
The factory speakers aren't paper anyways. They are polymer and made by pioneer.
The front ones are polymer. The rears are paper. All are made by Pioneer (including tweeters, which also seem to be half-decent like the front speakers.)
Old 08-24-2004, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is funny.. scion hypes up the tC and the whole scion brand as being able to be "personalized" for your lifestyle.. duh like they didn't think we'd replace the speakers? how funny.. that's those stupid corporate types for ya.. out to lunch.. you wonder how they even got the job..

void your warranty? who cares of warranty on the crappy paper speakers anyway.. they're going in the dumpster anyway!! how hard is it to hook up some speakers and bolt them down? sheesh..

where did scion get off trying to scare us in what they hyped up to be "personalized".. skip it.. do it yourself.. if you wait a little bit.. i bet crutchfield will have the dimensions..

no it wouldn't void the rest of the warranty.. that's like scion telling me they'd void the warranty for changing tires.. give me a break..
Old 06-22-2005, 03:17 AM
5 Year Member

It is not a requirement to replace any part with an original part. A dealer gave me the example of replacing your alternator with a re-built one, no company can make you replace a part with an original one.

FYI, the speaker upgrade kit add-on with the amp, for the tC are all aftermarket Bazooka EL series speakers.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:50 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are all sorts of pitfalls for a manufacturer to fall into when they give out ANY information/specs dealing with aftermarket parts.

Let's say someone puts some really industrial speakers in the doors, and actually feeds tham a REAL 100 watts each - If they happen to be 8 ohm, I seriously doubt the stock wiring can handle 8 amps or so continuous...

Likewise if they say you can put in such and such a size and it tangles with the power windows or something, thy could have problems with that. Many other things.

It is up to the maker of an aftermarket part to say if it will fit a particular application, and if they recommend that use, not the vehicle manufacturer - they have what they consider to be a perfectly adequate standard part that fits and works.

Think about oil filters, for example, or even oil. It is the oil or filter manufacturer that says "X fits the spec for this vehicle, we recommend it" - again the vehicle mfg has their own part...

As to warranty, I don't know about you, but my xB has a bumper-to-bumper warranty on all the parts it was delivered with, right down to the lightbulbs...the only exception are those parts expected to wear out or be commonly replaced in 36K miles/3 years (brake pads, filters, etc.)

How do I know this? I always carry spare headlight bulbs "just in case" and when I asked my Toyota/Scion parts man what bulb they took, he said just bring it in and the dealership would replace it free of charge 'cause it's covered under the warranty.

(Seemed odd to me, but...)
Old 06-22-2005, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd consider locking/modifying this thread. The title may be misleading to new users and cause more disinformation.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^^ Actually 100W to an 8 ohm load is about 3.5A. P = I^2 * R ... so (100W/ ^ -2 = 3.5 Amps ....... I know.. knit-picking.. no offense Your amplifier is producing more than 12V to supply power to the speakers.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i could care less. the stock speakers are more than good. i have no need to replace them. the only thing i plan on doing is putting in my 12" JL sub from my old car.

Quick Reply: Installing Speakers Voids warranty. says Scion Headquaters.