Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Installing Speakers Voids warranty. says Scion Headquaters.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mandos
Originally Posted by JasonH
Originally Posted by rs1.0newprtbeach
FYI, the speaker upgrade kit add-on with the amp, for the tC are all aftermarket Bazooka EL series speakers.
I've never heard of such a thing. Is it a new option?
Does anybody know about this option?
The factory sub option? I thought everyone knew about that...visit the scion.com web site, and just check the box for it.
Was he talking about a sub? He said "speaker upgrade kit add-on with the amp" are "Bazooka EL series speakers". It seems like he was talking about the regular speakers, not a sub. I've never heard of it, but I'm intrigued.

I know all about the sub, I wrote the install how-to in the tech section .
Old 06-23-2005, 02:57 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by mandos
FYI, the speaker upgrade kit add-on with the amp, for the tC are all aftermarket Bazooka EL series speakers.
I've never heard of such a thing. Is it a new option?
Does anybody know about this option?
The factory sub option? I thought everyone knew about that...visit the scion.com web site, and just check the box for it.
Was he talking about a sub? He said "speaker upgrade kit add-on with the amp" are "Bazooka EL series speakers". It seems like he was talking about the regular speakers, not a sub. I've never heard of it, but I'm intrigued.

I know all about the sub, I wrote the install how-to in the tech section .
Ahh..that part..I didn't notice the speaker upgrade kit...odd
Old 06-24-2005, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member

Please see this link for the part.

http://www.trdtoyota.com/displaypart...3&parts_id=355

This system is a factory add-on for the xA modified by Toyota to fit in a tC. I bought this and this is what you get: 2 Bazooka ELC5252 (5.25 two-ways) speakers, 2 Bazooka ELC6502 (6.5" two-way) speakers. Both sets come with custom Toyota brackets to factory-fit bolt in (rear) and rivet in (front) and a 25X4 W Bazooka Amp with HL input from the HU. The brackets also have connections for the factory wiring harnesses.

The harness intersects the stock radio and there is another harness that goes from the amp to the sub...so if you have installed the sub, get ready to disconnect the harness from the radio to the sub...the sub will get it's output from the amp.

The speakers sound good by themsleves, without the amp, they are worth buying, and the fit is perfect. The amp does fit nicely under the drivers seat and running the cable back to the sub is a nice touch. The replacement kit with rivets, wire ties and custom mounts for the speakers are real nice.

There is one extra thing, you have to install a small capacitor cutoff t-tap onto the mirror switch (in the directions). Why??...I and the dealer never figured it out and never figured out the cap value. Plus the install kit does not come with the cap or t-taps, but it works ok if you use a tweeter cap. If someone has a better guess as to the value.....please provide.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Please see this link for the part. I bought it from them, they are the best

http://www.trdtoyota.com/displaypart...3&parts_id=355

This system is a factory add-on for the xA modified by Toyota to fit in a tC. I bought this and this is what you get: 2 Bazooka ELC5252 (5.25 two-ways) speakers, 2 Bazooka ELC6502 (6.5" two-way) speakers. Both sets come with custom Toyota brackets to factory-fit bolt in (rear) and rivet in (front) and a 25X4 W Bazooka Amp with HL input from the HU. The brackets also have connections for the factory wiring harnesses.

The harness intersects the stock radio and there is another harness that goes from the amp to the sub...so if you have installed the sub, get ready to disconnect the harness from the radio to the sub...the sub will get it's output from the amp.

The speakers sound good by themsleves, without the amp, they are worth buying, and the fit is perfect. The amp does fit nicely under the drivers seat and running the cable back to the sub is a nice touch. The replacement kit with rivets, wire ties and custom mounts for the speakers are real nice.

There is one extra thing, you have to install a small capacitor cutoff t-tap onto the mirror switch (in the directions). Why??...I and the dealer never figured it out and never figured out the cap value. Plus the install kit does not come with the cap or t-taps, but it works ok if you use a tweeter cap. If someone has a better guess
I am guessing due to the way it is wired (I havent seen the wiring specs) that the noise from the mirror motors is making its way to the speaker circuit, possibly due to close proximity grounding? The cap will filter this high frequency noise off the line. By noise I mean electrical noise...
Old 06-24-2005, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member

Nobody would even know if you had switched the speakers unless they took the door panel back off.... I have never had a dealership refuse to fix anything concerning the powertrain when I did a stereo or speakers in any car. They did complain alot but eventually they would fix it.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
this is funny.. scion hypes up the tC and the whole scion brand as being able to be "personalized" for your lifestyle.. duh like they didn't think we'd replace the speakers? how funny.. that's those stupid corporate types for ya.. out to lunch.. you wonder how they even got the job..
what you said. seriously, its just an annoying reminder that "hip" scion is actually on a very short leash from square dad toyota.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member

I love my tC, but I agree, when it would come to an iffy repair....Scion is all Toyota.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by teamkasnomas
... its just an annoying reminder that "hip" scion is actually on a very short leash from square dad toyota.
Bingo.

Today, well, Friday, my stereo just stopped making any sounds. It was fine, as in the display still worked, but no sound.

So I was rollin' by the stealership, and went in.

FIRST thing they wanted to pin it on? The after market PIONEER speakers I had installed.

They were willing to warranty the Pioneer Six Disc Changer, but that would take weeks to get in. SO after I got them looking, it was the passenger door speaker wire that was pinched, shorting the system out.

Not the speakers, mind you....the wires.

Now, I will say, that the dude did the work for free for me, and that is all cool...but what got me, was the QUICK way they wanted to blame the SPEAKERS....as if that had to be the reason for the whole system shut down...

Sheesh.

Listen, SCION, you want us to 'bump' up the systems, then sell the systems in your dealerships...and for a fair price. That way, some TOYOTA install dude puts them in, and we are all covered, and happier with the car...

Or is that too wild an idea?
Old 06-25-2005, 06:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

It depends on the way they look into it. If you brought me your car, nothing changed except the speakers, and now the stereo makes no sound, the speakers and associated wiring would be the very first thing I would check. I may not blame it outright, but it is the most logical place to check (and was the area the problem resided in). Question: where was the speaker wire pinched??? Was it near where he was dis-assembling and re-assembling?

I am not in any way promoting the dealerships, I dont like anyone touching my car. But you do have to try to look at it from their point of view. Look at some of the posts on here. I have heard more than one person talking about aftermarket parts (such as the UDP) saying that if it ever did break something they would just take it off and switch back because the dealership wouldnt know about it. Its a$$holes like that that make it even harder to get warranty work done.

Like I said, it is all about their approach. Did you have to talk them into looking into it because they wouldnt believe you, or did they simply say "Well, the speakers were replaced, so it could be that" and then check it for you?
Old 06-25-2005, 07:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by engifineer
It depends on the way they look into it. If you brought me your car, nothing changed except the speakers, and now the stereo makes no sound, the speakers and associated wiring would be the very first thing I would check.
Natch, I can dig that. BUT, it was the way they just wanted to blame the speakers et all at first. As if it was IMPOSSIBLE that the SCION STOCK unit was/could be to blame.

Question: where was the speaker wire pinched??? Was it near where he was dis-assembling and re-assembling?
It was where the wire went behind the speaker. On only the passenger side. I am thinking, it might have been pinched from the get go, but took it's sweet time to become a problem. I mean, I replaced all of these speakers in April, around the 18th.
So for a couple of months here, no problem. Even took a LONG road trip over many lousy bumps, and not a problem.

But you do have to try to look at it from their point of view. Look at some of the posts on here. I have heard more than one person talking about aftermarket parts (such as the UDP) saying that if it ever did break something they would just take it off and switch back because the dealership wouldnt know about it. Its a$$holes like that that make it even harder to get warranty work done.
Agreed. And if it's something you have done aftermarket, then I can even dig the dealers POV more so. It's just that SCION wants us to mod our cars. They point it out in the ads. So if they do, then they should start carrying more after market gear, and install it, so they can cover it. Stop punishing us for doing what they want us to do in the first place.
Does that make sense?

Did you have to talk them into looking into it because they wouldnt believe you, or did they simply say "Well, the speakers were replaced, so it could be that" and then check it for you?
I had to talk them into looking at the speakers. They at first, just wanted to ignore them, and replace the HU (which, I found out, if you have XM, like I do, if you get an aftermarket HU that has XM, you have to get a whole NEW tuner and antenna for the XM; it won't just 'plug and play' with aftermarket HU'S...that seems stupid to me.)

I have spent close to $10 grand on mods at the dealer...and they, by and large, treat me right. But when I see them try to go weasal on me, even for a small thing, it bugs me. It's what drove me away from VW and towards SCION in the first place: Stealerships. And I hope that SCION does not just become the same as all the rest of the car companies...

Understand what I am driving at?
Old 06-25-2005, 09:06 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wasn't there, so I don't have a proper 'feel' for what it felt like was going on, but Scion DOES want folks to mod their Scions - but at the same time, the dealers don't want to do free troubleshooting and repair on the mods if there is a problem.

If the speakers were aftermarket, and if the wire was pinched by being routed behind the new speaker, then as a competent repair person I'd put the blame on whoever installed the speaker without making certain the wire wouldn't get pinched.

As much as Scion wants to support mods on the cars, all mod work is at the owner's risk. Any mod done will only be covered by whoever did the work, if at all. If a dealer or independent installer does the work, the dealer or independent installer should cover any errors they made, not Scion.

If "Joe's Audio" did the work, "Frank's Toyota" shouldn't be expected to spend any time troubleshooting the mods for free.

If I do my own mods, I need to be competent enough to troubleshoot my mods, and to recognize when I need to troubleshoot - or I shouldn't do the mod.

I dunno how/why the wire was pinched, but if that pinched wire was the result of aftermarket speaker installation, and if it had damaged the HU in any way, Scion and dealer shouldn't be stuck with warranty repair of the HU, either.

That's just common sense (and basic law).

That's why Scion cautioned another SL member that replacing speakers with aftermarket units would void certain parts of the warranty. Any problem actually caused by the aftermarket parts or mod would not be under warranty (not even for troubleshooting).

It's not just Scion - it's ANY business that plans to STAY in business. It's survival.

(Overall it sounds like the dealer did right by you in the end, so they really don't sound like 'bad guys.')
Old 06-25-2005, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I agree that it shouldnt be blamed on the speakers before they looked at it. But it sounds like the speaker install was the cause of the pinched wire to me, seeing as it is where the wire is routed around the speaker. If it was that way to start with then removing the stock speakers would have changed that most likely. So they actually did you a favor for fixing it for free. Like I said, you never know, it could have been that way before, but it sounds pretty fishy that the speakers were replaced and now the wiring is pinched where it routes around the speaker. But, you got it fixed, so just enjoy it now.