Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

To Jack, or Not To Jack... Lo Jack that is

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default To Jack, or Not To Jack... Lo Jack that is

ok so i want to buy rims for my scion but im worried about "her" (her name is Suzie The Seductive Scion...) anywho, so im going to but an alarm on my car. i want the viper 971vx so i can have remote start and the aux botton to roll down all my windows... just to be a dick, but iv heard of people still getting there car stolen with that, so i called longo scion to ask how much is lojack... 899 or 1099!!! really expensive, but i think it would be worth it. just wanted to inform scionlife about the lo jack pricing

899 for standard lojack

1099 for lojack with early warning, the guy said its like a pager on your keychain telling you if your cars being moved, and your not in it!

oh and these are the rims ill be putting on... Verde, Black Ice

Old 03-22-2006, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Very nice looking rims. Those will look awesome on your box. Can't wait to see pics of it.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought about it as well but I said no. My justification is I have had a few people have there cars broken into and equipment stolen. I have only known one person have there car completely outright stolen. So based on that I think most people are looking for a quick hit trying to grab some amps and speakers etc and run. Lojack wouldn't protect against this.

Also heard of others saying how Lojack will help you find your car...to bad once it is found it will be stripped anyway.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh yea and I dig theh rims. There hot like las vegas women. oh yea
Old 03-22-2006, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

I like the rims, I thought about the lo jack also, but there isn't too much car theft in my area, and all my system componants are out of sight.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here is what i tell my customers about alarms, if a theif wants to steal your stuff bad enough there gonna steal it, no alarm is going to stop them. But an alarm is merely a theft deterant and possibly will slow them down when it comes to the siren going off and them getting caught. But like TheIcon said if they steal your car lojack might be worth it, if they break into it than what good is the lojack then. So i would go with an alarm, get som bright LED's for it to show a possible theif you have an alarm and hide as much of you stereo equipment as possible. Just my 2 cents worth from a guy who deals with these questions for a living.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

99% of the time LoJack isnt worth it. If you live in a high crime area an alarm and maybe LoJack combined would be my advice. But honestly, spend the money on a better alarm...
Old 03-23-2006, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member

i had lojack in my camero.someone stole it and by the time the cops found it,everything was gone.i live in florida so it maybe diffrent where you live,the lojack dosent work untill the cops get close to it.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member

Im a lojack certified tracker and I can tell you, its worth it when its worth it, and not when its not. I found a R1 motorcycle in the back of a chrysler that had been stolen for about 10 minutes. The guy loved me. The next day, the bike was stolen again, and it was never found. A buddy of mine tracked a 87 toyota corolla that was stolen off the beach. The car was probably worth $500, but the old lady that owned it had had it stolen so often that it had paid for itself by 1995.
I personally do not have lojack on my vehicles and I live in a high theft city, and can track them myself. The early warning system (new) may change that. Its a good system and definatly helps catch the bad guys. You have to ask yourself first. Do you really want it back once its been regged on by someone else.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:26 AM
Banned
SL Member

Viper has an option for gps tracking. The 791 will incorporate it. I do know of a guy who had his whole car stolen even with an alarm. They jacked it up real careful rolled it down the street. Then towed it with the alarm going off. Everything was gone within 6 hours. He had one of those in dash DVDs. Lojack works. But the police car theft sqaud needs to get a signal first. GPS will work instantly. Still maybe by the time your car is recovered its too late.

ETA after
His neighbor said she saw it being pushed down the street but thought she was "Dreaming!"
WTF
Old 03-24-2006, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If my car gets stolen, I don't want it back! Too many of my buddies have gotten jacked and by in time they got the car located, recovered, and repaired, they could have made an insurance claim for a new(er) ride. Does GAP insurance cover theft, or just accidents? Either way, like many have said already, if someone wants your car badly enough, they will get it.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Duker
Viper has an option for gps tracking. The 791 will incorporate it. I do know of a guy who had his whole car stolen even with an alarm. They jacked it up real careful rolled it down the street. Then towed it with the alarm going off. Everything was gone within 6 hours. He had one of those in dash DVDs. Lojack works. But the police car theft sqaud needs to get a signal first. GPS will work instantly. Still maybe by the time your car is recovered its too late.

ETA after
His neighbor said she saw it being pushed down the street but thought she was "Dreaming!"
WTF
i don't know if you would know, but would the 791 work with a gps system like this? http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-GPS-Car-Loca...QQcmdZViewItem ... or what would i need.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:32 PM
Banned
SL Member

don't know if you would know, but would the 791 work with a gps system like this
No it wouldnt, The viper gps is a call home system
Here are the details
http://www.directed.com/security/vip...S_features.asp

Its like lojack but better. You will know where your car is always, when you want. It doesnt rely on a police car with a receiver like lojack. Instead it uses gps satellites for location

Think of it as ONSTAR on steroids.