Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

LED lighting components -- cheap

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default LED lighting components -- cheap

I think I've found the OEM source for the interior LED lighting kits. It's Luxaura, a division of Bridgestone:

http://www.luxaura.com

They do sell components off their Web site, but only in bulk. (Group buy?) Looks like it'll take two pieces of light guide, some LEDs and some crazy wiring to do the job. I'm hoping someone with the lighting kit can confirm they are the source of the original parts and can give some measurements/details of the light guides and LED units. A bit of knowledge could save us a lot of $$$ on interior lighting :D
Old 09-24-2003, 04:41 AM
5 Year Member

Default Very Nice

Glad to know m@ and i arent the only one's looking for a decent alternative to NEON. I was going to go out to a local plastics dealer and get some 6' x 3/8" dia acrylic rods for my modifications. But these guys seem to be a step ahead of me.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: LED lighting components -- cheap

Originally Posted by sithscripter
I think I've found the OEM source for the interior LED lighting kits. It's Luxaura, a division of Bridgestone:

http://www.luxaura.com

They do sell components off their Web site, but only in bulk. (Group buy?) Looks like it'll take two pieces of light guide, some LEDs and some crazy wiring to do the job. I'm hoping someone with the lighting kit can confirm they are the source of the original parts and can give some measurements/details of the light guides and LED units. A bit of knowledge could save us a lot of $$$ on interior lighting :D
You could always get these parts from Mouser (www.mouser.com) or Digi-Key (www.digikey.com). Both of these outfits are well regarded and readily sell in small quantities.

George
Old 09-24-2003, 09:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

Hey all found this site on the net they have all your factor accesories at really low prices on most items. Especially the LED light kits, $34.40!!

Here is the link, and happy scioning!

http://www.toyotapartsworld.com/toyperf_scion3b.htm
Old 09-24-2003, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Default Varad lighting

I know a guy who sells Varad led lighting components for cars. I'll find out what the prices are. You can also go to www.varad.com to check out what they have. I already have some of their products and i love them. Send me an email if you guys are interested
Old 09-24-2003, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by BLKTOYBOX
Hey all found this site on the net they have all your factor accesories at really low prices on most items. Especially the LED light kits, $34.40!! :lol:

Here is the link, and happy scioning!

http://www.toyotapartsworld.com/toyperf_scion3b.htm
plus the small fee of $94.90 for the light guide kit which is required. still, $130 is cheaper than $250.
Old 09-24-2003, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

just use cold cathodes. way brighter and only $14 each from frys. im working on the install article
Old 09-25-2003, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cold cathodes are bright ... maybe too bright. And they are cheap ... maybe ... no, there's no such thing as "too cheap."

But there's just some intangible appeal to using the same stuff as the factory, just at a third of the price (or whatever it turns out to be).
Old 09-25-2003, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

Sorry all didn't catch the $94.90. Was just surfing the net for parts and prices. In the future I will look more closely before I post a good find. But it is cheaper then 250.

Jay
Old 09-26-2003, 05:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

IMO the accessories you buy from Toyota are way overpriced. I could understand if the accessores where JDM, but they're not. AEM far from JDM and so is Hotchkis (SP?). Luxura just release those lighting rod earlier this year made by Bridgestone. OBX, big time china or taiwanese company.

If it was JDM i could see it being justifiable, but for US companies to make add-ons for JDM price. forget it. These accessories arnt even "exclusive" to toyota, you can buy them anywhere.

Im with Randy, I'd go with the Cathodes. Cheaper, Brighter, and did i say Cheaper?

Shoot, i made my own cup holder lighting with 2 3mm leds and 2 resistors. Cost me about .40 cents. So i dont have a cool switch.. Who cares. Its not worth the 200 bucks or whatever they want to charge. If you want similar to factory, go one ebay and search for Varad, I believe those are the lights toyota uses for the cup holder. you can get them for 10 bucks.

If anyone plans to get these accessores, search yahoo for their web site and find an dealer near you. itll be cheaper.

Just my opinion.