Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

LED station lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default LED station lights

Has anybody here used this light kit?
2008-2010 Scion XB LED Dome Map License Plate Lights
Old 01-05-2015, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

No - you can't see what some of the LEDs used are on the website.
I buy LED's on eBay and they're cheaper, you can chose colour i.e. cool white, warm white, ice blue, blue, purple etc. whatever your xB theme is.

For a typical bulb like a #194, different size LEDs used, I've found the 5050 size LED's are brightest, unless you can find/afford Cree's that fit.

#194 5-SMD 5050 LED for licence plate; around 1$ ea. and 1,000's of vendors.
Dome Light Bulb DE3175 31mm, I just put in a 48-SMD 5050 LED panel ice-blue but it's super bright. $6
For the map lights, #194's are dim so I think I'll put in a small panel.

LEDmods has some too that look better
Old 01-05-2015, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks prariemystic, I will look around eBay a little and I would love some Cree bulbs since that's what I use in my house and I'm very happy with them. I have a quick couple of questions for you. The first is, when you refer to bulb #194 and 5050 is that a bulb specific to our cars as in a size reference? The second question is how long have you been using your bulbs and did you have to do any wiring or was it a direct swap?
Old 01-06-2015, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The 194 is a bulb size, while the 5050 is referring to the type of LEDs used on that bulb.

For a complete bulb size listing go here, Need Help On The Light Bulb Size On The 2009 Scion Xb - Scion xB Forum

I agree with prariemystic that eBay is the best place to look for replacement bulbs, much less expensive.

No you won't have to wire anything as they will all be direct replacement as long as you use the correct bulbs size. For the dome light I prefer replacing them with LED panels as they give much more light and it is all directed downward. Something like these, 10 x 12V Panel 24SMD Car Interior LED White Map Dome Light Lamp Super Universal | eBay They come with adapters to make them work with most any bulb connection.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

For LED upgrades, start first knowing the factory bulb number. Sylvania/Osram lists the Scion lamp numbers (but I did not see a 2014 chart). A 2013 should be close.

#194 bulb (in the USA) also called T10 or W5W (in Japan). It's a 10mm wedge peanut-sized lamp 2 candlepower.
#168 is similar but higher wattage 3 candlepower.

#194 is used for the xB:
Map light
Front Side Marker Light
Front Parking Light
License Plate Light

Second is how much room you have for the lamp, as LED upgrades come in many sizes and shapes- although they fit the lamp socket- they might not fit the housing. LED fixtures can be longer or fatter.

Third is how the light is used, some lamps use light from the bulb side or the end or both.

I know it's a bit of a pain but it can be fun too. You don't need to make any wiring changes.

The LED's are referred to in size - SMD 5050 (meaning 5mmx5mm) size. Smaller is the 3528. and in number 4, 5, 9 led or one or two Cree's.

As an example, I replaced the license plate lamps with 5-led 5050 pure white, $2/pair. There is not enough room for a 9 or more LED. The light used comes from the side of the bulb - so a Cree that blasts out the end is no good, it just lights up the ground and the bumper. I've seen blue LEDs are sexy but the cops are going to hassle you unless you custom make a lamp.

I've also done my xB's dome light (DE3175 festoon 31mm) lamp. All you need is a 6-led 5050, plenty bright. I wanted it brighter so I used a 48-led 5050 panel... it's like the sun...
Old 01-18-2015, 03:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what size is the dome light? i think i might want to swap out for one of those led panels.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The xB domelight is 31mm. You could use a smaller 6-led 3528 size. Here I found "purple" is like a black light (UV) and a bit wild, "pink" is a nice purple.
Dome light - for max. brightness, put in a 48-SMD 5050 led panel with the festoon lamp adapter. I got "ice blue" for $5 from eBay vendor gogo.rc good quality.
The map lights will fit half of one of these (24-SMD), the panels can be split if you unsolder.
Attached Thumbnails LED station lights-48ledpanel.jpg   LED station lights-6led.jpg  
Old 01-19-2015, 12:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks mystic. i went ahead and ordered 2 12 led panels with adapters for the map lights. they should fit as long as the measurements are accurate. i also ordered a 48 led panel with adapter for the dome light. i ordered them all in white since the blue ones i have in there now are a little on the dim side.
Old 09-17-2023, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd recommend projector housings. Been a while since I've look so not sure if there are any good options out there now for tC's.

For light, you want to go 4300k-4500k. That will be your best output / actual sun light. No blue.
It comes down to what you want to spend.

I'd personally go with Morimoto. Auxito's are just rebranded generics. Buy once cry once would be go with Morimoto or XenonDepot.
For the dashboard error, it's usually when you swap turn signal bulbs. You want to find the ones with built in resistors. Just remember it's an older vehicle. CanBus crap wasn't so integrated. Even in the newer Toyotas...
For the bulbs with fans, fan failure is an issue. If they fail, they'll heat up. Either just electronic failure or clog. Depending on how hot they get, it could melt your headlight housing.

Don't forget almost every new LED headlight vehicle doesn't adjust the lights before leaving the dealership. They are the worst with glare.