Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

LED PC fans for my amp

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 12:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default LED PC fans for my amp

I found these sweet blue LED pac fans online. They r 12v so im thinikin it will work. Anyone else have a PC fan setup??

Old 05-03-2007, 01:38 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

They will work fine. PC fans usually draw less than a 10th of an amp. I don't have any running in the xB, but I have used them several times on previous cars.
...but mine never looked as cool, though. I just used regular old 80mm PC fans.
Cool find!
Old 05-03-2007, 02:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They will work fine. I have a couple PC fans feeding my amp compartment to keep it cooler (mine are not lighted but that fact makes little difference). I wired mine to the amp on leads from the HU, no problems.

EDIT: Make sure to add up the total amperage draw of fans and amps on the turn on circuit. DO NOT exceed the available power as Hu damage could result!! I would not want total amperage draw to be more than 3/4's of the turn on leads max. 2 fans may or may not be ok...add it up and verify. A low amp draw relay switching another power source could also be used. Our power antenna leads are also not used and could provide another source for turning on fans...again check the amperage and wire accordingly.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

I wouldn't wire into the turn on leads....that could lead to badness since the draw on those is actually pretty high when you're talking about the amount of current a remote can handle(usually about 500mA or .5 amps) 6 fans and you could have a non-functional HU.

That said...I used non-lighted ones in my first install....if you can make it look sexy, do it.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mandos
I wouldn't wire into the turn on leads....that could lead to badness since the draw on those is actually pretty high when you're talking about the amount of current a remote can handle(usually about 500mA or .5 amps) 6 fans and you could have a non-functional HU.

That said...I used non-lighted ones in my first install....if you can make it look sexy, do it.
Yeah after I posted that above I thought about using more than 2 like I have might cause a problem. I edited my post above!! In fact on some HU's 2 might be too many. I forget that some people may not understand that you MUST verify the total amp draw on such a circuit and do not exceed the capacity of the source (3/4's of such capacity is enough to use in my opinion).