Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

need some help figuring out led's in my headlights. . . .

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Default need some help figuring out led's in my headlights. . . .

I am looking to fix some headlights I installed about 18 months ago . . .

these headlights specifically!

there are 3 LED's that light up on the bottom and two in each halo (i assume, i havn't actually taken them apart. they light up on the top and bottom.) I need to figure out how to take them apart and put in new led's for the halo's. I have no idea how to do this, i havn't even uninstalled them yet. And I need to know what bulbs I should buy to replace them and if they'll need resistors, etc. I want to just replace all of them in the whole headlight assembly, so A) they'll match, and B) they al work.

so anyway, when the led stopped lighting up in those little rows of three on the bottom of each light (only one stopped lighting up) i took out the bulb and it had a little housing on it like this.

there is a little orange rubbery thing with some metal in it that touches the wires that come off of the LED. these orange rubbery things are wired into the headlights and power the LED's in the rows of three on the lights.

what they have done is put the wires that dangle off of the LED through this little plastic white thing, then bent the wires from the LED up to touch the metal inside the orange rubbery thing. after all this is hooked up, you just insert the orange rubbery thing(led installed into it using the white thing) into thte hole on the headlight from behind and viola, you have cool lights!

so the question is . . . what bulbs do I buy to replace these? My buddy rob has a set of 5mm LED's from oznium that are all wired up, like these.

the LED's are the same size as these, so I know the replacements for the three bulbs below the turn signal are 5mm, but i have no idea how to order them (i mean in what fashion, you know) do i need them with resistors? or without? can i order them with resistors soldered on already if i need them, or do i have to buy the prewired ones like

or can i buy them with little wires hanging off like

I'll need to replace the Halo's LED's and the three LED's under the turn signal. What do I order to get these?

Also, if anyone knwo anything about all this . . . where can I buy replacement White things?

I lost one while trying to take all of these pics, lol. Thanks for any help! I appreciate it!

shorberg=new at the whole LED game ;)
Old 03-19-2007, 04:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You might be able to substitute all that with something on this page
http://autolumination.com/194.htm

I'm not sure, but it looks like the 194's would work for you.

They've got blank sockets too, but they dont look exactly like what you have.

Or maybe this site

http://www.surplusled.com/Merchant2/...gory_Code=_AUT

It doesn't look like there's a resistor on the LED you have, but it could be hidden by the plastic housing. Do you see a resistor in there?

If there's no resistor on the LED you took out, you dont need a resistor. Its probably already wired in past the plugs or something.

SOmething else to keep in mind... I think the above LED's have resistors already installed, ready to plug into a 12v source. So If there's double resistors, it may not allow enough juice to flow in order to illuminate the LED.
More research would be required.

Hope this helps at all
PM squallheart, he's an LED guru along with many other guys on SL
Old 03-19-2007, 01:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Those look like they would work all right, the first ones that is. Thanks for the help, anyone elsee know anything about what's inside the Halos?
Old 03-19-2007, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Shorberg, try www.autolumination.com for leds. I have a question for you about how you wired up the leds as I recently bought a pair just like yours. I want mine to come on with the parking lights but without the blinker bulbs coming on. If you spliced yours this way could you tell me specifically which wires you used? Also, did you seal yours with anything before installation to prevent moisture from fogging them up? Thanks and I'll be watching to see how you fix your halos in case I need to do the same.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You just need to buy plain 5mm LED's without resistors. The ones with the red and black wires are pre-resistored from oznium for 12V. I think the resistor is in the orange connector since the LED legs are used to make the electrical connection with the orange connector.

The 194's MIGHT fit, but they will be really dim since they are resistored for 12V.

On this page http://autolumination.com/led.html there are wedge bases for LED's that don't have resistors. If you just stick the LED legs through they may work to replace the white thing you lost.

As far as the halo's, you'll have to take them apart first to see what's in there. I'm guessing it's also resistored in the connector and a plain 5mm LED will work.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I second Dude's comments^^
Just use an LED without a resistor if thats how it came out.
Dudehitt, this what you talkin' about? Just put an LED w/o resistor in this right?
Old 03-19-2007, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, that's one of them. I think there was at least one other size there. You can't tell for sure without measurements, but for $0.57 or so you could buy one of each size and see if they fit.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

RIGHT ON GUYS! looks like that is exactly what I need!

I bet the inside is just 5mm as well. I will order a few more and see what they are supposed to be.

and green, i just found the wires that ran to the parking lights and connected them to those. i used those little blue wire clip things where you can put one wire in and then put the other wire in and clamp down where a piece of metal connects them together. I am sure someone knows what I am talking about and where to get them. I had a buddy help me install them and he already had them, so I don't know what they are called, or where to get them. . .

Thanks for your help guys! I think that is exactly what I need!

I will measure the ones already in there and order some fresh leds for all 6 slots.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Shorberg, I have the wire splicers, got them at Autozone I think. Does your blinker bulb come on with your LED's? If you have time could you tell me what the wire color is that you spliced into? Thanks and I'll keep posted to see how your halo repairs come along. Has anyone used the 7 color LED's from autoillumination? I was thinking of using them but I don't know if they cycle through all 7 colors automatically or if they have to be switched in some way.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

on the left side the parking light wires are green (+12) and white with black stripe (ground), the right side is green with orange stripe (+12) and white with black stripe (ground). This comes directly from the wiring manual (page 72) found in this link

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=138456

If you want to wire it to something else you'll have to figure that out.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dudehitt, thanks for the info. should be simple to splice these but I'm still wondering if the turn signal bulbs will come on with the LEDs. I'm not electrically inclined and can't figure out by looking at the schematics how to have just the LEDs on for parking lights and blinker bulbs only on when I use the turn signal. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it. Thanks
Old 03-20-2007, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that should do it for you. The turn signals are green w/black and green w/yellow. (page 6
Old 03-21-2007, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry if I sound retarded but should I cut the green and the green/orange wires and wire nut them to the LED wires rather than splicing into them so as to prevent the turn signal bulbs from coming on when the parking lights (LEDs) are on?
Old 03-21-2007, 01:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no, just use T-taps. The turn signals are a different circuit with different wires. I don't know exactly how your lights work, but wiring the way I'm suggesting will have the LED's come on when th parking lights are on. The turn signal will not affect that and will still work normally. The LED's will not blink.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Shorberg, did you get your halos opened up and did you get the LED's replaced?
Old 03-17-2008, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

looking at this again, damn am i lazy, lol!

i am ordering bulbs right now.