Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

new goodies for the B

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default new goodies for the B

I've got some goodies this weekend for my B. first I ordered a night vision backup camera off of Ebay and installed it, with a little help from a Unibit to widen the wiper hole, and Dave wondering what he got himself into (we did his xB the same way):

[img][/img]

then I made a monitor mount where the rear view mirror was, wrapped in black suede to match the headliner, painted the monitor trim blue to match other things in the xB, and installed the monitor. I plan on walling off the back so a rear view mirror will be useless:
[img][/img]

it is really cool at night. you hit the brakes or go into reverse and you see fine. It's really freaky when you drive and see the road go by. this is one of the coolest and sweetest mods yet.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's cool...but where is your mirror?
Old 01-16-2006, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got rid of it. this is taking the place of the mirror.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

very clean install but seems like you would have problems with the local police officials.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scionotiks
very clean install but seems like you would have problems with the local police officials.
If it is a wide view camera he may see more with the camera. Beside think of all the hoopties driving around with no mirrors at all. I think he will be safe. Very nice mod Bro! I thought about doing it too but can't afford it right now.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:37 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Holy orange peel, Batman!
Old 01-16-2006, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I think it's just the lens of the camera causing the orange peel effect. At least I hope so! He'll let us know for sure once he reads this.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

In CA at least, a rearview mirror is not required if you have sideviews on both sides.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:30 AM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by TheScionicMan
In CA at least, a rearview mirror is not required if you have sideviews on both sides.
Here's what 26709(A) VC says:

26709. (a) Every motor vehicle registered in a foreign jurisdiction and every motorcycle subject to registration in this state shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle.

Every motor vehicle subject to registration in this state, except a motorcycle, shall be equipped with not less than two such mirrors, including one affixed to the left-hand side.

(b) The following described types of motor vehicles, of a type subject to registration, shall be equipped with mirrors on both the left-and right-hand sides of the vehicle so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle:

(1) A motor vehicle so constructed or loaded as to obstruct the driver's view to the rear.

(2) A motor vehicle towing a vehicle and the towed vehicle or load thereon obstructs the driver's view to the rear.

(3) A bus or trolley coach.

(c) The provisions of subdivision (b) shall not apply to a passenger vehicle when the load obstructing the driver's view consists of passengers.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Max
Holy orange peel, Batman!
the paint job is terrible. we are repainting it but getting the cash is slow going. when it's done right I will sleep better at night.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So without the reverse lights, you wouldn't be able to see very well? I had my tails tinted and was considering putting in a camera but won't if there needs to be a light source to see.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

that tight good thinking
Old 01-16-2006, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

looks good.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

since it is a nightvison camera it can see about 10-15 feet without a light source. when I hit my brakes or reverse it really lights up the back.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I'm about to do this mod (I have the camera and monitor, which I'm mounting in the passenger cubby anlged so that I can see it). Can you go over the wiring for this mod? Did you use any relays or regulators? I know I'm going to be using the reverse light wires, but I don't want to fry the wires or the camera. Also, how did you wire it if you have a DVD or other video source hooked up to the monitor? I want to hook a DVD player up to it, but have the signal switch to my camera when I'm in reverse (I'm guessing that's how yours works). Thanks!
Old 01-16-2006, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I wonder how the cameras that have their own light source would work? Might give better veiw at night.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

B, you are so crazy. Install looks awsome, thou, i almost think you knew what you were doing, hmmmm. Bring it by so i can check yet another crazy mod, in person. B.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i just installed the same camera i highly recommend it...and it rickety rocks! congrats..good deal for 50 bucks!
Old 01-17-2006, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have my camera hooked up to the rear wiper switch up front so I can turn the camera on/off when I want to. the rear wiper power wires are still back in the hatch. one wire stays 12v switched and the other wire switches to ground when you turn on the rear wiper switch up front. if you want to switch the camera on/off with the wiper switch you will need a relay:

take the white/blue wire of the 2 pin connector of the wiper motor connector (switched ground wire from switch up front) and hook it up to pin 85 on the relay.
take pin 86 and 87 of the relay and connect it to the other wire of the 2 pin connector (I think it's black)
take pin 30 of the relay and connect it to the 12v (+) wire of the camera.
take the ground wire of the camera and connect it to a bolt in the hatch to ground it

now when you start the car you can turn on/off the camera with the rear wiper switch up front.

as for running DVD through the monitor, the Monkey Video monitor I have has 2 inputs, AV1 and AV2. AV1 I used for the camera, AV2 I ran to my JVC flip out radio so I can play video through it. all I have to do is use the remote that came with the monitor and switch it back and forth.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

thats really sick man, cool idea.

Quick Reply: new goodies for the B