Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Opinion on new head unit...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 02:58 AM
SL Member

Default Opinion on new head unit...

So I'm ready to upgrade my old Kenwood DDX7015, but I'm really unsure of what's out there, what's good, what has quirks, etc. I'd really like some first hand opinions.

This what I do and don't want:

Double Din
DVD, preferably one that will also play DivX, xvid format on CD
Iphone 3Gs connectivity while controlling tunes through the head unit
Don't care about navigation, I have a GPS
Bluetooth is not a must
NOT BREAKING THE BANK or keeping up with the Jones's... this isn't a show box, just my daily driver

Any ideas? You guys have usually tested everything out there!

Thank you
Old 09-14-2009, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scinergy

I've been a huge fan of Kenwood Exellon line for quite some time. The DDX7015 is a very good unit for the cost. They have a fantastic 24bit burr-brown D/A converter which will give a very clean audio signal. You can throw hundreds of good quality MP3s onto a single DVD and have a massive selection of audio to choose from. The navigation on the unit is easy to work with but the remote makes shuffling through the menus quite nice. Instead of a "credit card" type of remote that you normally see, it's a nice beefy remote that you can sink your teeth into.

The major units that are contenders for the DoubleDin in the same price range really don't compare. You either have a unit wish no DVD or too much junk thrown into that you don't need. The DDX7015 is quite possibly the best bang for what you can find right now.

Take this with a grain of salt though... if you knew me, you would think I work for Kenwood exclusively. Until you get past the head unit... I'll talk trash about Kenwood's other equipment, right down to their propriatary patch/processing equipment.

Serious SQL enthusiast.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just installed a Pioneer P4100DVD in my friend's car. It's a nice-looking double DIN (I think the best looking in its price range) without nav. I think he got it for about $450 or so. Any ipod cable will hook up to it since it has USB in the back. I am pretty sure it plays Divx.