Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Perfect sub for under a seat *Pics*

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Perfect sub for under a seat *Pics*

Well I have been watching intently from the day it was announced.

http://www.icixsound.com/vb/showthread.php?p=210998

Elemental designs is putting together a 10" sub specifically designed for shallow mount installation, in our case under the seat or even in the hatch would be perfect.

From what they are saying in the thread, they are going to try and have it to the market for less than $100 per sub.

Through the good graces of Mandos and Ben Milne (the owner of eD), I have managed to get my hands on the prototype of this glorious creation.

Here are some quick and dirty pics to tide you over until I can do a full review.

I have started construction of a quick box to throw under the passenger seat. Plenty of room to work with when the sub only needs 0.3-0.5 cubes, and the sub is only 3" deep.

The only reason construction is not finished, is that I lent a family member most of my box building tools (jigsaw, really nice safety glasses, clamps, wood glue, caulk gun, etc) and never recieved them back, I went over to his house to get them and they were in very bad shape, and it took me over an hour to get the stupid garage heater to stay lit.

Well without any further delay, here are the pictures:

Here is a shot of the backside of the flatcone showing the reinforcement:

Here you can see the ventilation all around. Lots around the magnet structure as well as even the VC peeking through!

Here is the backplate

I do not have another 10 to compare it too but I do have a couple spare RE8's that were sitting in the garage. Here are a few comparison pics to show just how slim this 10 is. Remember we are comparing 8" to 10" here

Look for a full review soon, I hope to have the box completed and installed by the end of the weekend.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Neat! I've been toying around with the idea of building a custom box for my tC that replaces the foam tray on the right hand side of the spare, that will sit flush with the rest of the floor. A sub like this would be perfect.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sub under the seat!?!?! thats 1 way to keep the sperm count low.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How is your passenger gonna feel about this ?
Old 12-19-2005, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well considering I already have matching 8's under each seat, pretty good.

It is not as noticable as you would think. Just a nice little jiggle from time to time.

I love having the bass up front, sounds much better that way IMO. And on top of that you don't have to fight with all the rattles a sub introduces in the back of the car (like the rear wiper arm).

If/when these go into production I will probably put one under the driver seat as well, seeing as I already removed the jack bracket, and cleaned up the bottom of the seat (removed brackets that did nothing but hold a wire harness, and modified the seat position sensor).

I am working on fitting a ported box for each under each seat for the best output/efficiency.

I have a sealed box 2 sides away from complete to use in the meantime, but I had a busy weekend and did not get any time to work on it just yet.