Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

under rear seat subs

Old 08-12-2015, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default under rear seat subs

I been looking around and haven't seen any done, has anyone made sub-woofer enclosures that are placed under the rear seats on the 2nd gen xB's, I figured I can place the amp under the front seats as some have done on here. I have seen the set ups in the rear trunk, but I want to keep my trunk space and not lose the spare tire.

any ideas or links would be great.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There isn't enough room under the rear seats to fit a sub of any reasonable size. You can do a sub under the front passenger seat no issue, under the driver's seat you need to relocate the yaw sensor.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Greg S
There isn't enough room under the rear seats to fit a sub of any reasonable size. You can do a sub under the front passenger seat no issue, under the driver's seat you need to relocate the yaw sensor.
There's got to be a way, it seems like a waste of space, I don't want anything crazy just some bumps for those cruising nights. I feel the ones under the driver and passenger seats look cluttered and I feel like it'd rob you of some foot space for the rear passengers.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:27 AM

Physical limitations make under the rear seat not possible. The seat doesn't have structure so if you put a sub under there and someone sits on the seat its gonna press down. There also isn't enough depth to fit even a slim sub in a proper box. I was in the same boat as you, I didn't wanna loose any rear space due to having a very large dog that roams the back, so I did a box under my front passenger seat and located my amp and processor under the back seat and it worked out great, also I carry people in the back of the car all the time and have never had anyone complain about the box under the seat, if its made properly its non intrusive.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ravendarat
Physical limitations make under the rear seat not possible. The seat doesn't have structure so if you put a sub under there and someone sits on the seat its gonna press down. There also isn't enough depth to fit even a slim sub in a proper box. I was in the same boat as you, I didn't wanna loose any rear space due to having a very large dog that roams the back, so I did a box under my front passenger seat and located my amp and processor under the back seat and it worked out great, also I carry people in the back of the car all the time and have never had anyone complain about the box under the seat, if its made properly its non intrusive.
Glad to see that I was not the only one. I did see there was a frame under the rear seat but I didn't investigate it any further. I saw the space and thought to myself "what if I removed this plastic piece and added a sub and amp down here..." came on the web and did some research. Didn't find anything on it at all.

I'm currently in the middle of moving so I wont be adding anything to the box any time soon but in the future it's on the to do list.

Appreciate the feedback and the quick responses.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, it would be a great spot to put subs if there was space for it but there just isn't. I probably spent 3-4 hours trying to model up different linear arrays with a bunch of 4" subs firing forward under there and for the time and money I would have spent on it I said screw it and built a 12" shallow mount into the rear hatch door instead.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think you could put a down firing inclosure in if you don't mind cutting the seat bottom foam. The foam goes clear to the floor for support.