Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Ported or Vented

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Ported or Vented

So I have my two alpine type -r 10" 's in a sealed box. I have decided to changed to a new box versus the sealed one. I was shown a vented box today for about $100.00 that I was told sounds real good. They did not have a ported box to compare it with . but most of what I have seen looks like this box. It has a wall down the middle from front to back. then it also has 2 walls that border it ( one on each side) that are a bit shorter that run from front to about 1.5 " from the back. and of course the actual exterior walls that make up the box. It is about 1.1-1.2 cubic feet per chamber. I kinda always thought these were ported. The only ported boxes I notice that have round holes are like the loaded boxes that plug and play and those band pass boxes. Any thought on this vented style box? I know I can get on on ebay for around 65.00 + 35.00 shipping. but I can go pick this up anytime...
Old 03-28-2006, 05:56 PM
Banned
SL Member

ahh, ported and vented are Basically the same design (bandpass is totally different-uses different acoustic chambers to fine tune freq ranges). both will play a little louder in their tuned frequency ranges as compared to a sealed enclosure--which will play more accurate, tight, crisp bass notes...just not as BOOMY.

out of curiosity, why are you ditching the sealed enclosure?
did the vented box you were shown have 10" alpine type r's in it?

I've always preferred sealed to ported/vented.. also less likely for subs to distort. Unless the 10"s are in a very small enclosure (my 10"s are in a 14x14x36 dual chamber sealed) with not enough air space (factoring in driver displacement) to play the LOW frequencies aka.. are you just getting Real Punchy "mid" bass notes? i digress
Old 03-28-2006, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yepp.... ported=vented....
Don't buy that ported box unless it's been built to the specific thiele/small parameters of the 10" type R's... If it's got some brand name on it, probably better not to buy it...

ported boxes are very picky as to which subs will sound good in them.... tuning can be an issue as well... if you want good sound and low extension, you shouldn't buy a box tuned to anything over ~34Hz... on the contrary, If you want the loudest your subs can be, get a ported tuned closer to the cabin gain frequency of the car (usually 45-55Hz)...

Best thing would be to find someone who knows how to tune an enclosure and build one from scratch.... or order one custom built to those t/s parameters..
Old 03-29-2006, 01:24 AM
Banned
SL Member

"Best thing would be to find someone who knows how to tune an enclosure and build one from scratch.... or order one custom built to those t/s parameters.." ^^^

BINGO! or just do a little research and build one yourself.. not too hard, not too $$$, and fun. Trial and error my friend...
Old 03-29-2006, 12:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I third the motion on staying with a sealed enclosure and having one built to the Alpines specs. Listen to these guys the know what the are talking about.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by SCI_TC_GUY
Yepp.... ported=vented....
Don't buy that ported box unless it's been built to the specific thiele/small parameters of the 10" type R's... If it's got some brand name on it, probably better not to buy it...

ported boxes are very picky as to which subs will sound good in them.... tuning can be an issue as well... if you want good sound and low extension, you shouldn't buy a box tuned to anything over ~34Hz... on the contrary, If you want the loudest your subs can be, get a ported tuned closer to the cabin gain frequency of the car (usually 45-55Hz)...

Best thing would be to find someone who knows how to tune an enclosure and build one from scratch.... or order one custom built to those t/s parameters..
great advice
Old 03-31-2006, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry I have been away for a day or so. I talked to a different shop here in town and a guy known for his boxes. He is gonna build me a box custom fit. square and plain but custom fit.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by trainman0978
Sorry I have been away for a day or so. I talked to a different shop here in town and a guy known for his boxes. He is gonna build me a box custom fit. square and plain but custom fit.
Good choice staying with a sealed box.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:57 AM
Banned
SL Member

best way to go..good choice grasshopper
Old 04-01-2006, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no no it will be ported, just nothing fancy. No fiberglass or custom shapes.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:27 AM
Banned
SL Member

oh.. iMo ported enclosures don't sound have as good sq. they'll play one octave really loud (as they are tuned for specific frequencies) but all the other frequencies in the spectrum kinda sound boomy and not crisp/accurate.

but whateva floats yur boat. Just as long as it doesn't look like Sensay's box! haha..
Old 04-03-2006, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well i got my box today. Yes it shakes and rattles the car to bits now. It kinda sounds like a different and more powerful setup now. It is nothing fancy just gray carpet with a port in the middle 11" x 2.75" with a piece of 3/4" mdf down the middle made to specs in the manual that came with the speakers. I am not sure if I miss that tight sound sealed gives you cause this thing is very loud. I still have the sealed box in my attic so maybe if I decide later to put it back in I will ... But the speskers now sound like the are achieving their true potential for being a high end sub woofer.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

holla at this dude if you want a good box. he will build u one and ship it out. dual L7 box 30 hz 92 dollars. http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...sassZksmith936
Old 04-03-2006, 06:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

damn too late
lol