Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Programming the xB Keyless Entry system..

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Good info!
Old 08-17-2005, 01:38 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

This is kinda scary tho, lets say a thief gets smart...buys a scion key and goes around till he finds a scion with its doors unlocked (or breaks window). He can hop in, program the key then off he goes with your car.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:40 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

wait scratch that, im drunk...im thinking og the tc key with the buttons, not just your remote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

do these same operations apply to 06' tC's with copy keys, since the remote functions are built onto the stock key? I.E. Is there a way to get a second remote system on a copy key, other than getting one from Scion/Toyota?
Old 11-14-2005, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was searching and searching when finally founr this thread, WOW At first I was suspecting a joke...but hey...it really work Thanks!
P.s. My neighbour was looking at me also...and thought at first that I was doing some sound check inside my car or something...
Old 11-16-2005, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rider
I was searching and searching when finally founr this thread, WOW At first I was suspecting a joke...but hey...it really work Thanks!
P.s. My neighbour was looking at me also...and thought at first that I was doing some sound check inside my car or something...
Glad it worked for you.

Judging from the PMs I've received, some of the most active users of these instructions are salesmen programming remotes for their clients!

George
Old 12-19-2005, 12:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I get no beeping now on my system when I look or unlock.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is good info, thanks.
I bought an extra remote off eBay, have to try it later when it gets warm.

WW
Old 02-09-2006, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

What about the valet key? My fiancee lost it and got a new one unprogramed. I was trying different steps to do it, but it wouldn't work. Dealers in my area are charging between $60-$80!!!
Old 05-14-2006, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

If the car is ever programmed with Prohibition, is the system then "disabled"?

I have an 04 xA and got the correct FOBs off eBay and have tried these programming steps and the locks never cycle when they should. I never even get to the point where I am supposed to register the FOBs with the system.

The 04 xA is listed by some sites as having Keyless Entry as Standard Equipment, but on other sites, it seems like it is part of the Toyota Security Package.

I am not sure if my xA has the needed "stuff" to utilize the FOB's or not -OR- I am starting to think it may be in Prohibition and just not responding.

So thes question is, do I need to take this into the dealer and pay him $$$ to help me get this going?

The Wife wants an xB, so I may could use that as a bargining chip when I go to purchase.. hehe. "Fix my keyless entry and I'll buy the xB!"

Any thoughts??

Thanks,

-reverb-
Old 05-17-2006, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks for the advice. No doubt you can use the key programing as a bragaining tool. I took my car in for normal service and mentioned about the key. They did it to me as a courtesy. I guess I found a great Toyota dealership afterall.

I believe all xAs and xBs have keyless entry system; the security system is optional. On the tC, keyless entry immobilizer is stasndard, while the full security system (alarm for doors and glass breakage, along with the fancy "beep-beep" sound) is a pricy option (around $450.00). I can get a less expensive system that's also superior than the factory.

Thanks again for the reply and enjoy you Scion.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Well, I took the xA by my local Toyota dealer and they tried to program the FOBs into the system.

This procedure failed. The service manager then took the car back to a technition who opened up one of the kick-panels or something and reported back that my car does not have the needed "internal guts" for the FOBs to work. It is missing some relays and the Keyless Entry reciever.

So my conclusion is this: I think Edmunds.com is in error; 2004 xA DOES NOT come standard with Keyless Entry.

The service manager suggested aftermarket parts because Toyota was "way too expensive" (gotta like this guy's honesty!).

I think that's the route I'm gonna take. Going to run about $225 for complete Keyless Entry/Alarm system.

Anyone in need of two Toyota/Scion FOB's cheap??
Old 06-21-2006, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

This works great!
I have recently purchased my second (keeping first, not replacing) XB RS# and was able to program all 3 remotes to work on both cars in less than 15 minutes. My next step is to replace lock cylinders so that I have 3 sets of keys that work in both cars (no more guessing which set is for which car, or changing keys when changing cars, or needing extra keys or remotes on one keychain)
Thank-you very,very,very much!!!
Old 06-22-2006, 07:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Re: Programming the xB keyless entry system

Originally Posted by George
Here are the procedures to manipulate the remote door lock system. As you can see they are hardly difficult programming exercises. Any competent mechanic should be able to do it in 20 minutes including time for paperwork, coffee, sharing a dirty joke with the next guy, and a cigarette break. Competence, in this case, means the ability to read and follow instructions, not even knowing anything about cars.

As with anything, try these at your own risk. If you accidently reprogram your engine to produce 200HP don't blame me!

There are four different modes you can use to program remote door lock functions.

Confirmation mode allows you to check the number of transmitters recorded.
Add mode allows you to add a transmitter without disturbing existing transmitters.
Rewrite mode allows you to replace all existing transmitters with new ones.
Prohibition mode erases all transmitters and turns off the remote door lock function.

Confirmation mode. To check for the number of remotes programmed into the car:

Start with the key out of the car, driver's door open and unlocked.

1.Insert key in ignition and pull out
2. Within 5 seconds, insert the key in the ignition and pull out again.
3. Within 40 seconds, close and open the driver's door twice, then insert and remove the key from the ignition again.
4. Within 40 more seconds, close and open the driver's door twice, then insert the key in the ignition and close the driver's door.
5. Turn ignition switch from LOCK to ON to OFF three times, leaving the key on for one second and off for one second each time.
6. Remove the key from the ignition lock.

The doors will lock and unlock themselves at about 2 second intervals. The number of times that the doors lock is the number of remotes that are programmed into the car. If the car locks/unlocks 5 times, there are no codes registered.

Add mode. To add a remote without disturbing existing remotes:

3. Within 40 seconds, close and open the driver's door twice, then insert and remove the key from the ignition again.
4. Within 40 more seconds, close and open the driver's door twice, then insert the key in the ignition and close the driver's door.
5. Turn ignition switch from LOCK to ON to OFF, leaving the key on for one second and off for one second.

The doors will lock and unlock themselves once.

7. Within 40 seconds, press the lock and unlock buttons on the transmitter at the same time and release.
8. Within 3 seconds, press either switch and release.

The doors will lock and unlock themselves once if the registration was successful. They will lock and unlock twice if the registration failed.

9. If you have other remotes to program, go back to step 7 within 40 seconds.
10. Insert the key in the ignition or open a door to complete registration.

Rewrite mode: To erase all remotes and add new ones:

5. Turn ignition switch from LOCK to ON to OFF twice, leaving the key on for one second and off for one second each time.

The doors will lock and unlock themselves twice, indicating that you are in rewrite mode.

7. Within 40 seconds, press the lock and unlock buttons on the transmitter at the same time and release.
8. Within 3 seconds, press either switch and release.

The doors will lock and unlock themselves once if the registration was successful. They will lock and unlock twice if the registration failed.

9. If you have other remotes to program, go back to step 7 within 40 seconds.
10. Insert the key in the ignition or open a door to complete registration.

Prohibition mode: To erase all codes and disable wireless door lock function:

5. Turn ignition switch from LOCK to ON to OFF five times, leaving the key on for one second and off for one second each time.

The doors will lock and unlock themselves 5 times at about 1 second intervals.
Would you happen to know how to enable the Security System on the xB and or the horn honk just got it second owner and don't have manual It does have the Scion Security System not just the keyless entry.

Thanks.

______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-05-2020 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 07-11-2006, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is there a way to set the xB to lock when the ignition turns on and unlock when the ignition goes off? Also, with just the keyless, is there a way other than the DIY add-a-horn to get a confirmation beep when the doors have successfully locked? Thanks in advance!
Old 09-03-2006, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
SL Member

Does this work on a tC?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-05-2020 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 12-16-2006, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

See, the last dealership I took my xB to told me I didn't have keyless entry. (They were really awful though and told me some things that I knew weren't true so I'm just not ever going back there) When I got home I went outside and followed the instructions I found here and according to the car, there should be 2 remotes programmed to it. I bought the car used though so I'll just have to get new remotes which I found on e-bay for about $20 each after shipping. (Unless anyone has bought them off a particular site that they could recommend) While testing this though, sure enough some of my neighbors wandered by. They slowed down to see what I was doing and then when I looked at them them casually wandered off, like "Oh don't mind us crazy lady." lol.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Adding a Second Remote Purchased on eBay

I just programmed a second remote for my 2005 xB using the provided instructions in about a minute.

I bought 2 more on eBay in the past two weeks and have received one. Both have the "Toyota" logo on them and are supposed to work on a variety of Toyotas and Scions.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default It actually worked!

Wasn't sure if that would work on my tC or not but it worked like a charm! Thanks!
Anybody know if there's a way to code the key itself? When I try to start the car with the key/remote that I bought from the dealer the engine will only crank but won't fire up.
The car starts just fine with the other key/remote. The dealership wants $90.00 to do it.

Sorry if this is a noob question but I'm a noob.

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-05-2020 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 01-07-2008, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the info

Quick Reply: Programming the xB Keyless Entry system..