Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

rca adapter

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member

Default rca adapter

i got a rca adapter to conect amp to stock radio,but guy in best buy told me that you dont conect amp to radio ,you conect to rear speakers,but i realy not sure about that. can anybody tell me is that right ?
Old 01-08-2006, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Line out converter (LOC) connects to the radio's speaker outputs. LOC connects via RCA cables to amp inputs. Amp outputs connect to speakers. A search here will get you the wiring diagram for color codes!

For subs or frontstage comps? Front or rear speaker outputs are your call. Some use the rear for sub fading capability. I used the rear but found that the bass level/sound level was lower than the fronts.

hth!
Old 01-08-2006, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: rca adapter

Originally Posted by pegasus
i got a rca adapter to conect amp to stock radio,but guy in best buy told me that you dont conect amp to radio ,you conect to rear speakers,but i realy not sure about that. can anybody tell me is that right ?
Don't bother with best buy. They are really horrid for asking about car audio. The best people to talk to about car audio at best buy are in the install bays which most of them are not accessible unless you go around outside and around back. So make sure you ask to speak with an installer rather than someone who does nothing but sell. However, I would recommend finding a good ma/pa shop who specializes in car audio to purchase equipment from, have equipment installed, or even just asking the simple questions such as these about the LOC.

The way the LOC works is, you run your lines to the converter(s). Adjust the converter(s) according to the information provided in the directions to avoid clipping the signal. Connect the RCA(s) to the converter(s) and run the RCA(s) to the amp(s).

I would use the front channel for the amp connection. Not only is it a bit cleaner on the stock head unit, but once you have the front setup the way you want it, you can tweak the amp to be an exact level with the front without overpowering the driver/passenger area. As for the passengers in the back seat, don't worry about them as the back sound stage is not very good without some help.

The best way to setup an amp is to purchase an aftermarket head unit and use a non-fading RCA connection for the sub amp.

G/L