Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Removal/modification of interior door lock knobs

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there's nothing to void. What have you truly CHANGED?

All that's really been done is you have threaded the lock ***** farther down the lock shaft. You've turned the plastic stoppers inside the door upside down - and can be turned back the other way whenever.

You can just as easily UNthread the lock ***** and return them to their original height.

I've gone and made mine 99% flush - they sit just barely enough out that you can pinch them to unlock if you must by hand.

The "worst" part of the whole deal is drilling the inside of the lock trim to extend the hole that the lock shaft can go into. That in itself is no big deal - you've just made it longer... whoopee.

Use a 5/32" bit and everything will thread back together nicely. Also, I did not mention it before, but when rethreading the lock ****, hold the threaded shaft with a pair of pliers so you will not tweak it and risk twisting it far enough to break it from it's mounting point inside the door or twist it out of shape.

When threading the **** on, lock/unlock it to check it's bottom-out point. if you want it almost flush (as far as it will go), when you lock the door lock, with the panel off, you will see the bottom of the lock trim will bottom out against the plastic guide you flipped upside down, at that point the top of the lock will be nearly flush.

If you still want to go lower, you will have to either leave the lock guide out (I wouldn't) or shave the bottom of the lock trim down (I definately wouldn't)
Old 05-14-2004, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

great windowtint, thanks for the detailed analysis. I'll definetly look into this.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey windowtint could you post some pictures?
Old 05-14-2004, 05:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlueScionXB
Hey windowtint could you post some pictures?
I'll post pics in a few days ... I'm in a screwed spot. Comp. crashed - reformatted - found out we lost the Dazzle media card reader CD. Waiting for new Dazzle reader from eBay to arrive. When it gets here, I'll post the pics.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:52 AM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 06-04-2004, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i'm waiting for pix still too...these damn door locks are starting to bruise my elbows!!!!
Old 11-09-2005, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

too bad i did not catch this last year... just did mine yeasterday thanks to the how to over the phone from windowtint but i found out a way to drill the holes without worring about going through the top of the lock ****, simply hold the bit up to the lock **** and mark with a sharpie how far it can go without drilling through then when putting the bit it the drill put the line where the bit sticks out of the drill so it cannot go any further even if it slips... you will need a pair of pliers to hold the rod while you screw the **** on as it is harder due to the lack of threads in the newley drilled end
here is the pic of the finished product... if you want a how to with pics then reply a request and i will get one together by friday
Old 11-09-2005, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

you could use the key to open the door

Thats the best post ever written on S.L.