Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Speaker suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Speaker suggestions?

Hola, everyone. I'm going to be replacing all six speakers in my car, and adding a subwoofer. I already know I want an eD enclosure, but what should I get for speakers? If it helps any, I listen to punk/metal 99% of the time and I've already got a Panasonic MXE head unit. Can any stereo gurus out there help me?
Old 03-19-2007, 03:39 AM

what is your budget? I would spend the majority of my funds on the front stage.There are many good passive 3 way systems that will fit easily.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The eDi 6500s sound really nice. I have them for my front stage and couldn't be happier.
They don't offer anything for the rear though.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Memphis...
Old 03-21-2007, 10:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Memphis? Eh?
Old 03-21-2007, 10:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mom2boysdadsxb
what is your budget? I would spend the majority of my funds on the front stage.There are many good passive 3 way systems that will fit easily.
I don't really have a budget. I'm not buying all of this at once, so if I have to piece it together to make it perfect, that's cool with me.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

I'm partial to Alpine, but from what I hear the ED stuff is really good.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

www.diymobileaudio.com Tons of suggestions there. You can do it better and do it cheaper. The Dayton reference line from www.partsexpress.com seems to be pretty popular and you should be able to fit an 8" woofer in the doors of the xB without too much hassle. Add a decent tweeter in the dash and you'd have a pretty nice setup. Personally, I'm partial to the old school Boston Acoustics "Rally" components. If you ever happen to see either the RC41, RC51, or RC61's on Ebay in good shape scoop them up as you'd be hard pressed to find a better sounding speaker for the money.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

JBL

i say stick with a reputable company really. Memphis is pretty good, i personaly like JBL and thier GTi series. i've got alot of experience with thier live stuff so i gives me more then enough comfert to go for JBL's automotive market.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think Memphis has the best Mids I have heard. I listen to Alt Rock and it sounds amazing.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by jpauletteUSAF
Originally Posted by mom2boysdadsxb
I don't really have a budget. I'm not buying all of this at once, so if I have to piece it together to make it perfect, that's cool with me.
How much are you willing to spend on the speakers for the front stage?
Old 03-22-2007, 10:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

front stage, hmm.... let's say $400 installed for the front, and I wouldn't mind upgraded wires :-D
Old 03-22-2007, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

@jpaulettelUSAF - curious, your taste of tunes, i hit up your myspace and heard you kick a$$ song on there and was wondering if that was what you normaly listen to most of the time?

fast bass kick attacks may require looking for specific specs on the subs. if you want to hear the actual kicks and not just a rumble, it would be wise to look for two main things.

all speakers have TS specs, if you can get your hands on the TS specs for what ever subs you are looking at, may i sugjest looking at the BL and QTS. BL is the magnet and voice coil motor strength and QTS is how acurate the cone can react to the attack. general rule of thumb, the higher the BL the better while the lower the QTS the better. when you've found some subs that interest you, contact the maker of them and see about getting the TS spec from them. just a sugjestion though if you'd like to go that far.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I usually listen to things similar to that. Lots of double bass, screaming, you name it. Look What I Did is one of my favorite bands, as of right now.

Thanks for this info. I'm hoping to not have to get super-technical with the speaker specs, but I will if it's going to be the best for the kind of music I listen to.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Winter
@jpaulettelUSAF - curious, your taste of tunes, i hit up your myspace and heard you kick a$$ song on there and was wondering if that was what you normaly listen to most of the time?

fast bass kick attacks may require looking for specific specs on the subs. if you want to hear the actual kicks and not just a rumble, it would be wise to look for two main things.

all speakers have TS specs, if you can get your hands on the TS specs for what ever subs you are looking at, may i sugjest looking at the BL and QTS. BL is the magnet and voice coil motor strength and QTS is how acurate the cone can react to the attack. general rule of thumb, the higher the BL the better while the lower the QTS the better. when you've found some subs that interest you, contact the maker of them and see about getting the TS spec from them. just a sugjestion though if you'd like to go that far.

Dude, your system must sound awesome.Why don't you post some pictures of it?
Old 03-23-2007, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i haven't been able to to get my system togethere yet. my experience comes from the design and development side used for live settups and studio monitoring. TS specs are always nice to have handy when building a system strickly meant for a personal listen style. just throughing a system togethere could be a nightmare sometimes when you're are looking for that specific style and not taking the technical side into play cause be a real headache and can burn a nastey hole in your pocket when trying to take parts out and put new parts in looking for that right tune when you could settup a system strickly meant for you'r style and tune it based on what the hairs in your ears feel is right OR do a flat tone RTA tuning where everything is "HiFi" tuned from 20hz-18khz so that theres no weak points.

but like i said though, if ya need any help, just send me the make and model and i can get ahold of the TS specs *9 times out of 10 atleast* and let ya know if it's acceptable for quality attacks.

car subs though have a much heavier cone structure then whats normaly used for live and studio systems so these stats that i would be looking for are much lower/higher *BL/QTS* then what you would find in live or studio applications so what i'll be looking for is fast attack between 20-70/80hz while what i would look for normaly in live or studio would be 35/40-150hz. lighter the cone and the stronger the magnet structure, the faster and more accurate the attack is BUT capability of handeling VERY low tone below 35/40hz becomes very limited. to enhance extreme lows, the cone must be heavier fortified and capable of handeling the large movement attacks but in doing this, you loose the accurate high end capability because now the cone is too heavy to move so quickly. also know that bass is omni directional upto around 70/80hz so subwoofers for automotive audio don't need to be accurate past that point.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the much-appreciated tech data. However, I decided to just go with the eDi 6000s v.2 because my friend cranked up some Hatebreed in his car with that system and I'm pretty sure I got a boner.

Now, any suggestions for the rear stage? I'm thinking about doing maybe two 8" subs to replace the back speakers
Old 03-25-2007, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you want true studio sounds...and you want clarity and you want perfection go with focal!!! they have a 3 piece set for up fron and sweet coxials for the rear......its what i have and by far the best sounding speakers out there