Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

speedometer problem..PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 10:21 PM

Default speedometer problem..PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!

i just noticed the other day that my speedometer is off about 10mph....when im actually driving 60mph the speedometer read 70mph..can someone please help me fix this problem.!, or do you guys know any shop that fix this?? thanks
Old 11-21-2007, 10:28 PM
SL Member

Default speedometer

mine does the same thing I noticed it after I got larger rims, and around the same time I replaced the leds in my gauge and to do so I had to remove the needles and if you don't get it on there exactly where it was when you took it off it won't be calibrated correctly but supposedly the dealerships can calibrate it for you.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:34 PM

how did you get yours fixed? how much this will cost me if i go to the dealership to get it fix?
Old 11-21-2007, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there is no dealer fix to re-calibrate the spedo after changing to diff rim size. believe me i have tried...
you can open the guage, and move the needles around, but there is no guarentee that the speed will be close to your actual mph.. if you want to take the needles back to stock, check the how to on changing your guage led / guage color change in the tech section, or do a search... once you see how the thing comes apart, and how to remove the needles, you can take the needles back to their stock "0 mph stops" by slowly turning them anti-clockwise with the guage out. Both the mph and tach needles have stops, i believe the fuel guage needle does not have a stop though.... so be sure to mess with that one only if you have a full tank, and note the needle position on a full take with the engine running, and note the position with the engine off... you can eyeball that one pretty close...
Old 11-21-2007, 10:53 PM

does any shop re-calibrate speedometer? im scared to mess around with my guage
Old 11-21-2007, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it immpossible to recalibrate our guages according to toyota..
believe me i have searched and searched, and it aint a possibility..
just have to do the math in your head... if you are doing 60 but the spedo ready 70.... yada yada yada... or... go back to stock size rims and tires...
Old 11-21-2007, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as you can see from reading my first post on this topic, there are a bunch of a$$heads on this forum that thought it better to flame me for asking a good question, rather then offer insights, fix ideas, helpfull advice..
still though, i wonder when i had the TRD 19's on my car that the dealer put on, why my spedo was dead on, and not way off as it should have been... for that matter why is the spedo on my RS3.0 dead on with the 19's i had the dealer add to the package? this question has never been answered by the dealership either... guess i have the only 2 gen 1's in the world that were mysteriously calibrated to a 19 inch rim... when i ride in my rs3.0 the spedo guage reads accurate milage as i have tested it with my gps many times, only off by 0.1 of a mpg at 70mph...
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...043&highlight=
Old 11-21-2007, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's really cool of you to call us _______s when we answer your question. Your 19s may have been 'dead on' because they covered up the fact that there is a 3% error to begin with.

You don't have anything that has been 'mysteriously calibrated', I believe the differences you notice are simply due to manufacturing differences. Believe it or not, every speedometer needle may not have been installed the exact same way, and every VSS may not fall within the same tolerance range.

If you really have the only 2 first gen xBs that have been recalibated, why aren't you telling US how it was done instead of asking angry questions and calling us names??
Old 11-22-2007, 02:23 AM
SL Member

Not to interupt the discussion here but back to the original question...

I bet if you were to get a custom speedo face made and just change the MPH on the new speedo to match how they are on your car, i.e. have 60MPH be where 70MPH is on the stock one and so forth.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's a fairly simple sounding solution actually. I just wonder how hard it would be to get the needle back in the correctly preloaded position so that your new marks were still right.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had a strange experience with a loaner toyota corolla s from my dealership.

strange thing one morning, i pulled out of my driveway at 70 mph according to the speedometer. and for the rest of the trip it would just shoot up wildly while i was driving. i was doing 95-105 mph behind a school bus. it was quite an interesting drive. i would still be doing 50 mph when i came to a stop.

next time i turned it on, it was back to normal, but it was one of the most interesting drives i have had.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: speedometer problem..PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!

Originally Posted by sher_2_bB
i just noticed the other day that my speedometer is off about 10mph....when im actually driving 60mph the speedometer read 70mph..can someone please help me fix this problem.!, or do you guys know any shop that fix this?? thanks
First of all even riding on the factory wheels and tires the speedometer will be off (too fast). That is normal. This has been extensively discussed on scionlife. Even the factory manual shows that ths error is normal (I scanned that page and posted it in one of the speedometer threads).

If you use aftermarket wheels and tires you can expect further errors depending on how different the circumference of your tires is compared to the stock tires.

My question is: how do you know for sure that it is 10MPH off? Do you have a calibrated 5th wheel speedometer attached to your car? Or are you depending on a radar trap or friend's car? Did you consider that whatever you're using for reference might also be incorrect?

There is no way to recalibrate the speedometer by modifying the settings of the PCM module (car's computer). You might be able to buy a converter which goes in-line between the Vehice Speed Sensor (VSS) and the PCM. It can then be adjusted to compensate for the error. I have never used such a device.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i changed my guage face and hade to recalibrate the speedo tach and the fuel.
its not hard.
first off remove the needle, then push it back on only half way. oh... don't have the car on, im sure you don't want the power going to it.
you will be able to move the needle the full sweep of the guage. use the zero mark as the sweet spot. move the needle gently to the zero if it easly goes past the zero then go over to 120 untill the feal it easly stop now go just a little past that. now go back to zero and see were it easly stops. if it stops befor zero then push it just a little to get it as close to zero with out going past. this may take a few times of going back and forth to get it right.

ive got mine dead on and it was checked by police radar, ive got the ticket to prove it.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I read some where on this forum that the speedo calibration problem is caused by the tire size on the xB, the speedo set up is from the bB that sports a 185/65/r15 tire and the xB comes with a 185/60/r15. The smaller side wall on the xB tire is what is causing the problem. If you were to check the overall tire diameter of your TRD 19's you will find that it is closer to the bB tire and that is why your speedo was bang on and off with your 15's.

I wonder if anyone is running a 185/65/15 and have checked the speedo to see if this corrects this?