Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Stereo install problem, help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Stereo install problem, help!

So I just picked up the xB from Tweeter and everything seemed great and drove home enjoying the new speakers and the addition of the CleanSweep and a 300/4 amp.

However, it dawned on me to check and make sure the DVD unit still worked so I grabbed a DVD and popped it in. The audio of the DVD comes through just fine, but there is no video playback on the headrest LCDs. I switched the source between AV1 and AV2 but neither does anything.

What could they have done that affected the DVD player? I called the shop but the installer just left so I have to wait till tomorrow but figured someone here might have run into an issue like this.

I have the 3.0 edition with the DVD player. What they installed were replacement speakers in front and back along with a JL CleanSweep and a JL 300/4 amp. IS there something I should mention about the DVD player to them or is there something typical that could have been disconnected for the amp/cleansweep that they overlooked with the DVD player? I just assumed they'd know what they were doing and whatnot.

Also, they put the amp/cleansweep in the storage area in the back and after getting home the amp is HOT. They didn't mention anything about it being an issue but I'm worried that it might get too damn hot and burn up or something. Anyone else have any issues with the amp inside the storage area or am I just overreacting and it will be ok, even if it gets pretty hot to the touch...

Thanks...
Old 08-16-2006, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

If it worked when you took it in then it should work when you picked it up. Take it back and let them fix it.

Amps get hot, if yours starts shutting off then you might look into other options like moving it or adding fans.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya I plan on taking it back but I was just curious if anyone had something similar or could be like...ya they probably disconnected this to plug in the amp and forgot you had a DVD...

Basically I'm looking for piece of mind that it's fixable and I wont be in a "well if you want the amp, you can't have the DVD" kinda stupid situation.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Nah, don't worry bout that. Its def fixable.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The 300/4 is a Class AB amplifier, this type of technologies inherent properties is getting warm to hot with even just moderate use. The good news id that JL Audio has incorporated many protection circuits into this amp, one of which is thermal protection. If the amp overheats then it will scale down its output until it has to shut down long enough to cool down enough to play at full volume. So, you will probably never damage this amp. I hope that is a little piece of mind.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KingOfAllCarAudio
The 300/4 is a Class AB amplifier, this type of technologies inherent properties is getting warm to hot with even just moderate use. The good news id that JL Audio has incorporated many protection circuits into this amp, one of which is thermal protection. If the amp overheats then it will scale down its output until it has to shut down long enough to cool down enough to play at full volume. So, you will probably never damage this amp. I hope that is a little piece of mind.
thanks for the info, very good and detailed. I wasn't so much worried about the amp burning up as i was the rear compartment catching on fire or melting or something like that hahaha.

but hopefully it would shut down before reaching danger levels.

thanks again, i appreciate it.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Happy to help...
Old 08-16-2006, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

He fixed it...he messed up one of the outputs or something. Took 10 minutes. Phew.