Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Stock HU + Inifinty Reference Components?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 05:57 AM
5 Year Member

Default Stock HU + Inifinty Reference Components?

I searched but didn't find what I was looking for...

I replaced the stock HU in my 2002 MR2 Spyder with a 2005 Scion stock HU off e-bay (THAT may be the problem!), and the stock component speakers with the Infinity 6000CS Reference components, and...

It sounds like crap! I've tried switching between the settings for which car it is installed in (xA sounds best in the Spyder), but in all settings other than "Neutral", the speakers seem to bottom out, with either no bass or so much that the woofers just kind of rumble with distortion..

Basically it sounds like I'm just pushing the HU too hard to get any bass, but it's not very loud, with distorted bass at all volume levels.

It looks like other people have had pretty good luck with this combination, it would seem. I assume you Scion owners are getting better sound than this, right?

Any ideas?
Old 02-20-2005, 06:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got a 2000 mr2 spyder and will be putting a 6disc scion headunit in my car this week. i have stock speakers but i will let you know how it sounds.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:26 AM

i am using 2 sets od infinity reference companants, front and back, and reference 12'' sub with the stock scion hu in my xb...... the reference series is know for it's clean reproduction in the mids and highs. you need an amped up sub for that bass... the hu is not powerful enough to push one, and the distrotion rating coming off it is crap, not to mention the eq is also ____e along with the presets... there is no mid range adjustments! you have to realize that the reference companants should be getting upwards of 50w just to sound crisp and punchy. my system was muddy, or too low in volume to sound decent untill i amped everything. infinity reference mono amp for the sub, and reference 2 chanell for the front and rear componants. now everying is super clear, and punchy, no distrotion at all at high volume. perfectly smooth for most kinds of music...ilovedank@sbcglobal.net

Old 02-20-2005, 06:46 AM
5 Year Member

I'm really trying to avoid adding a sub because there is so little room for storage in the Spyder: if I add a sub, I will have NO room for anything else. I was trying to avoid going with an amp for this reason. I originally picked up the Scion HU because it had higher wattage and looked stock (I don't want to intall the latest OEL/DVD/whatever HU because I know that with a convertible, the length of time I would actually own the HU would be short before someone made off with it).

I understand I won't have much bass, but even the stock speakers had SOME bass... My experience with other Infinity speakers has been fantastic, so I stayed with Infinity for the components.

Are you Scion owners getting any bass in your cars with the stock HU and speakers?
Old 02-20-2005, 10:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the bass in the tC with the stock HU is mid bass, maybe 80-100hz if I am lucky.. JLTD has a spectrum analyzer showing the pics of the output of each of the modes.. it says it's down to about 20Hz but really these speakers could probably be 100hz at the most.. I think the stock HU was designed to have the sub take up the "real" bass..

I think the other posts are right, typical infinity components need more than stock HU watts to drive them. I wouldn't doubt if the speakers you have are at an 89db sensitivity. Try something else (other speakers) with a higher sensitivity if you want to keep the scion HU..
Old 02-20-2005, 10:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

**** it, buy a 8" jl sub and power it with the rear channels, lol
Old 02-20-2005, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
I think the other posts are right, typical infinity components need more than stock HU watts to drive them. I wouldn't doubt if the speakers you have are at an 89db sensitivity. Try something else (other speakers) with a higher sensitivity if you want to keep the scion HU..
The Infinity Components have a 92dB sensitivity. Maybe I'll just spring for a good 2-channel amp with speaker level inputs....
Old 02-20-2005, 01:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah they definitely have enough sensitivity.. maybe it's that they sound so good, you're cranking up the stock hu higher than it's capable of putting out.. sorry to hear it wasn't a simple fix.. never is, typical murphy's law..
Old 02-20-2005, 02:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rsbell
The Infinity Components have a 92dB sensitivity. Maybe I'll just spring for a good 2-channel amp with speaker level inputs....
theres an adapter you can buy to get rca outs, look on ebay for it
Old 02-20-2005, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member

yeah they definitely have enough sensitivity.. maybe it's that they sound so good, you're cranking up the stock hu higher than it's capable of putting out.. sorry to hear it wasn't a simple fix.. never is, typical murphy's law..
Perhaps, but I would think that if that's what I'm doing, how do the Scion owners (with speakers that I am sure are not as good as the aftermarket Infinities) get good sound without doing this?
Old 02-20-2005, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

big question to those out there, i believe someone already replaced the headunit and kept the stock speakers, is how the stock speakers sound with an aftermarket headunit.. I think they said it sounded great (someone had an alpine headunit with the stock tC speakers).. i am almost wondering if you should take the infinity speakers and have them checked out on another headunit to see if they sound equally bad..
Old 02-21-2005, 01:17 AM

you might want to try the kappa series if you are stuck onn the infinity brand, or find a way to mount a couple 8'' speakers... polk audio also makes sum really full sounding componants

Old 03-02-2005, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not understanding the reasoning behind getting a scion HU to put in an mr2.....why not just get an aftermarket HU and small smp for comps...
Old 03-03-2005, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SCI_TC_GUY
I'm not understanding the reasoning behind getting a scion HU to put in an mr2.....why not just get an aftermarket HU and small smp for comps...
its a decent headunit that keeps the stock look.

i just put the scion 6disc in my 00 spyder. it sounds real good, i think its factory speakers still, i dunno if previous owner changed them. the speakers have better bass and such now, but now i hear the door rattles, lol.

im gonna get soem focals to put up front soon. see how it sounds then
Old 03-03-2005, 09:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

just remember that any stock HU is about 15-25watts and your trying to push a 80+watts speaker is not really going to give you the full potential of those speakers...i would definitly put an amp to them...besides you have more range in adjusting eq settings on an amp.