Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Stock speaker replacement suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 04:22 AM
5 Year Member

Default Stock speaker replacement suggestions

Ok...I just picked up my XB today and I'm pretty happy with everything except the speakers. To me, they sound extremely thin and fatiguing.

I'd like to replace the front and back speakers (but keep the stock HU). I listen mainly to rock (and all it's flavors - hard rock, metal, etc.) I don't listen to much hip-hop or technobass.

I plan on also adding a Scoshe 10" sub enclosure (the one that fits in the cargo area) and a seperate amp later on.

I'd like to keep the speaker replacement around $250-300. Thanks!
Old 08-18-2006, 07:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I bought Infinity references, componants up front for $150 and
coax 5.1/4s for the back for $80 at last years car toys tent sale.
The sound is great. The componants set gives a one inch tweeter
and 6.5 inch woofer with a crossover between them. Of course
later I bought a 10" infinity sub and eclipse amp to top it all off.
Cardomain.com had the 250W sub for $65 plus shipping.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I put the Infinity 60.7 Kappa components up front, with the 1" tweeter and 6.5" woofer- it's got incredible sound. The kit comes with crossovers. In the back I put Infinity Kappa 63.7 (I think that's the number) 6.5" 3-ways, which also came with crossovers. They sound great together. I got each speaker set for about $160 on eBay.

I don't know about the xB, but on mine the Infinity tweeters snapped right into the holes for the stock tweeter from behind. I just took off the stock grills. You don't even have to remove the stock tweeters.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:31 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Oneson2k, I would recommend you take a trip to a few local stereo stores and listen to a wide variety of options, then make your own choice based on what you liked the most. Infinity, Focal, MB Quart, JL, Orion, etc., all make good quality component sets if you check out their higher end products.
Something else to consider...
Be prepared to either buy the aftermarket bracket from Scosche for the speaks or build your own. The factory bracket is attached to the frame of the factory speaker set.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm telling you this from experience, get a new headunit! you'll be amazed how much of a difference it'll make. aftermarket speakers and the factory headunit don't make much sense. i'm not bashing you or anything, i'm just trying to save you money down the road so you dont end up having to buy things 2 or 3 times like i ended up doing.

and the scosche sub doesn't sound very good imo. you can get much better sound for around the same price if you shop around.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:16 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the info...

I think I'm going to start with the Scoshe sub and an amp to drive it. The ONLY reason i'm going with the Scoshe is because I'm constantly hauling alot of gear in my XB (I'm a drummer) and I don't want to loose any precious cargo space.

Down the road I may upgrade my HU and do a full speaker replacement as well. However, for now, I think it will be just the sub and maybe some new components for my fronts (damn those tweeters are harsh).