Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Stock Subs

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member

Default Stock Subs

Hey i had a question does anyone has the sub that you can get from the factory for the tC? I am undecided about getting it. I would just like to know how it sounds, and how much space it actually takes up. Thanks a lot .
Old 01-03-2005, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

dont they want like 400 or something really pricey for that?
Old 01-03-2005, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member

i know how much they are but how do they sound?
Old 01-03-2005, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

what i ment was that you could possibly get more for your money not buying it from the dealer. personally i have never heard the stock sub in action. it is a pioneer isnt it?
Old 01-03-2005, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member

i dont really know much about it. i just know i have one from my old car that i'm tying to find a place to put it. the only problem is if i have to get my spare tire out. mine would take up too much space.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member

no it's a bazooka sub with 100w amp
Old 01-03-2005, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got it, dealer installed. sounds great, highly recommended. not overly 'boomy' and has decent low end extension (specs say 28Hz-100Hz +/- 3dB) even though it is ported. if you want to play 20Hz then you need a sealed box, this one won't do that.

the dealer price is no doubt due to the installation which i have read is not difficult, but a little involved since you have to take half the interior apart to lay the wires. i was feeling too lazy to go through that but there is a great guide here on how to do it.

we have one tc with the sub and one without. the one without has OK bass if you're stopped but once you get going it just gets drowned out. the stock speakers aren't half bad bass wise but they really gotta work to do it. anything above +2 on the bass and they start to get overloaded. (all these are with SSP feel, xA, SRT on)

it doesn't take up much room in the cargo space considering it has a 10" driver in it. you CAN easily access the spare tire without taking the sub out.

i think it also helps against blowing your stock speakers because you gotta turn the bass to -3 to get a good balance with the 'factory recommended' setting. i've tried turning the gain up and down and have settled just a little above the before mentioned setting. the sub is wired in parallel with the front speakers.

with the windows down and the car parked if i want to listen to the radio, say i'm waxing the car, i turn the bass to -5 and up the volume and it sounds pretty good outside the car.

bottom line, if you enjoy music then definately get it.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by YELLStC
i dont really know much about it. i just know i have one from my old car that i'm tying to find a place to put it. the only problem is if i have to get my spare tire out. mine would take up too much space.
i just removed my spare tire altogether (LOL) and mounted two twelves in the spare tire cover and put the amp where the tire used to be. gives it a nice clean look. i figure i have roadside assistance on my insurance so if i get a flat they can send a flatbed to get me (LOL)