Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

sub and amp hook-up

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 02:40 AM
5 Year Member

Default sub and amp hook-up

I did some searching around in here, but maybe I searched using the wrong words, so I am sorry if this is already posted.

Can anyone tell me how to hook up an amp to the stock head unit? I took a look at all the wiring back there and it is completely different than all the other head units I have worked on before. I have no idea where to wire the blue amp power cord to, and also where the audio cables plug into. Is there some sort of adapter I need to buy? Please post pics if you have any. I really dont have the money to spend $70 for Best Buy to install this. I already spent all my money on the car itself (not with parents help).

Also where is the best place to drill through the firewall for the big power cord that needs to go to the amp. Is there a better way to do this?

Again I am sorry, this seems like it would have already been posted already, but I couldnt find it.

Thanks to everyone for the help!!
Old 09-08-2005, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how many amps do you want to run? and i dont think you need to drill any holes.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Apocalypse
SL Member

You are going to need a Line Output converter.

And you need to hook your remote wire to the accessory wire of your ignition harness, or something that gives the remote wire 12volts when you turn the car on.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its real easy. Since your using a stock head unit, you have to buy a hi-lo level converter. This converter will all you to use the rca cables to hook up to your amp. For the remote turn on wire, tap into the factory power antenna wire. It is black/red. Because the factory head power antenna will send a signal to the amp. For the power wire, the easiest way to do it is by running it through the factory rubber grommet on the fire wall of the drivers side and run the wire down the car to the amp. Ground the amp power wire to any bolt in the chassis of the car. Wire up the hi-lo converter to each speaker wire to get the signal (this may vary between product)Also be aware you need the correct wiring codes for the speaker wire for + and -. Now hook the rca wires from the hi-lo converter to the amp and adjust the input level. Now turn on the car and see if the amp powers up. You should see a nice increase in sound loudness and quality. All you have to do is adjust the amp and tune it a bit. (This is a good idea of the basic principle of the install. I didnt do all the details like fuses, mounting the amp, etc.. You should read into a bit more, but thats a good start
Old 09-08-2005, 06:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You don't HAVE TO HAVE the converter if your amp has speaker level inputs. You would just run the stock speaker wires to the amp, then from the amp to the speakers....
Old 09-08-2005, 07:21 AM
5 Year Member

True.

The way to tell if you need the line output converter is to look at your amp's inputs. If there are spring terminals, just stick the speaker wires into it. If it only has RCA jacks on the inputs, you need a line output converter.

And yes, you really do need one.

The voltage coming from your head unit goes up and down when you turn your volume up and down. If you just splice an RCA end onto some speaker wires and plug it in, you'll end up feeding more power to the amp's signal inputs than what you should. It may work for awhile, but eventually, and especially if you turn it up loud, it will amplify the voltage coming in, which will be too much, and you'll blow/melt/destroy something in your amp.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Running straight from the deck(speaker wires) has the benefit of really LOW output IMPEDANCE which simply means it will "drive" a noise free signal all the way out to your amp/processor.

Just simply add some RCA ends onto your speakerwires and plug them into your amp. Or hook up to the high level inputs if your amp has them.

The output VOLTAGE from these deck isn't very high(for high level) so your amp should be able to handle this. The gain of your amp will probably need to be turned nearly all of the way down and it will still put out full power as well as reduce any chance of noise being injected into it(no engine noise!!). As long as you are using the RCA or high level inputs.

Simple Line ouput converters(LOC) REDUCE your voltage output and increase impedance so there is more chance of noise in your system. It is not a better quality of sound either!!! The higher end like Audio Control will do a good job though and are more expensive, but they still raise ouput impedance.

If you decide to use a LOC, mount it as close as possible to your amp and run a short pair of RCA's to your amp.

I am using the high level outputs straight out to my crossover then out to my other amps and have zero noise and a very high quality of sound.

Try it, all you will be out is the cost of those two RCA tips from Radio Shack.

It is also important that you DO NOT JUST TURN THE GAIN WAY UP ON YOUR AMP. That is where you could possibly damage it by overdriving the internals and not matching the ouput voltage from your deck to the inputs of your amp.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member

Wow, thanks for all the help everyone! I will try and hook everything up after I get done with work....I will let you know if everything works out.

Thanks again!
Old 09-08-2005, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Go to eBay and get the RCA adapter from euro_werks, he is a member of Scion Life and his id is gnizzle here. It works great! and the cost is about $48.00 shipped.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member

Can anyone post a picture of where the rubber grommit is? I am useless...
Old 09-11-2005, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ I cant pull it off, is there a certain way I should be doing it? Maybe I'm just being too soft...?
Old 02-03-2006, 05:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jallamas
Go to eBay and get the RCA adapter from euro_werks, he is a member of Scion Life and his id is gnizzle here. It works great! and the cost is about $48.00 shipped.
thanks for the props jallamas !!! thanks .. yes if you want to do it the easy and right way , DON'T CUT WIRES ! take a look at them on ebay http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZeuroQ5fwerks

these work great ! 4volt out and noise grounding no wires cut! simple "plug-n-play . much more than a loc .. get one ..
Old 02-03-2006, 12:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by G-NIZZLE
Originally Posted by jallamas
thanks for the props jallamas !!! thanks .. yes if you want to do it the easy and right way , DON'T CUT WIRES ! take a look at them on ebay http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZeuroQ5fwerks

these work great ! 4volt out and noise grounding no wires cut! simple "plug-n-play . much more than a loc .. get one ..
No problem! G-nizzle