Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

subs bumping without bass

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default subs bumping without bass

Yea so basically my subs bump for like 10 seconds every second even with the volume at zero. I gotta cap, battery, amp, 3 10" JL w6 subs and 4 un amplified speakers. While the ghost subs go off, my lights flicker and other drivers go nuts.... ne one know whats up? someone said it may be faulty stereo wiring. Its almost like the subs are drawing power from the battery for no reason. please help
Old 11-11-2005, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member

Default Re: subs bumping without bass

Originally Posted by guitarist42288
Yea so basically my subs bump for like 10 seconds every second even with the volume at zero. I gotta cap, battery, amp, 3 10" JL w6 subs and 4 un amplified speakers. While the ghost subs go off, my lights flicker and other drivers go nuts.... ne one know whats up? someone said it may be faulty stereo wiring. Its almost like the subs are drawing power from the battery for no reason. please help
could be a falty cap, or possibly a faulty amp, i had an amp do all types of crazy stuff with my system, got it tested, worked fine, but the internals were not fine, took it apart and found the electromagnetic coil pretty black and just was weird, try a friends amp (that's good) and see if that solves it, if not, disconnect your capacitor and run power directly from battery, (i.e. very carefully put the two wires together to touch, again i say carefully
Old 11-11-2005, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Like you said, sounds like bad wiring. Check your wires to your amps. Check the signal cables, ground, power, etc. Unhook the signal cables and see if it still does it. If so, then it is a power issue. If not, then it is a signal issue.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

what head unit are you using and if it is a factory one you maybe getting feedback from the hi lo box that was used for the rca's but is defenitly a wiring issue
Old 11-11-2005, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i gotta pioneer AVIC N1... ive ran into some strange issues involving the subs just shutting off even with adequate power (13.5volts) someone said most likely its the wiring...
Old 11-11-2005, 11:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wiring problems suck.....it's best to do it the best you can the first time
Old 11-11-2005, 11:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you blew your amp. if your amp has external fuses check to see if they popped, you might also have an internal one as well, which that one probably popped. My amp has 4 fuses 3 outside and 2 inside. I also run an inline fuse for protection, you should do that too, so if something happens, the power doesn't goto your subs and f that up too. if the cap is showing numbers its cool. you dont smell anything do you, or when it first happened? like a sweet smell, if so thats your subs coils taking power, just unhook everything. I would just tape off your wires with electrical tape and take it to manufacturer or whoever you got it from.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SFScionGuy
My amp has 4 fuses 3 outside and 2 inside.

3+2=4.....of course.....

haha just picking on ya
Old 11-11-2005, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dangit
Old 11-11-2005, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wouldnt a blown fuse make it so nothing plays... cause it consistantly does well... except it does do this random bump thing every now and then... im going to get a high output alternator, new battery, up grade the battery wiring, and have the stereo wiring checked out... if somethings wrong after that, then its obviously technical.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd suggest taking the RCA's out while it's doing this and see if it stops....if it doesn't, then it has something to do with your power/ground/remote....if removing the rca's makes it quit, you should replace the RCA cables and see if that helps...

edit:

I forgot to mention, RCA's shouldn't be ran on the same side of the car as the power wire because it can cause interference....but I've never heard of subs actually moving alot because of rca/power interference....it's mostly audible in mids/highs as ticking or whining noises