Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Tick from the dashboard, passenger side.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 04:01 PM

Default Tick from the dashboard, passenger side.

I've had this problem for a few months now and I can't seem to fix it no matter what I do. Edit: The car is a 2005 xB.

The sound is a ticking sound that comes from the passenger side of the dashboard. It is hard to locate when driving, but it seems to come from around the airbag area or possibly up near the windshield. If you push lightly, with just one finger on the dash then the noise goes away, however I have not been able to make the noise go away by stuffing anything anywhere.

What I have already done:

- I've taken apart the dash numerous times to pad or grease anything that looks like it can move under there. I have thoroughly greased all around the edge of the dashboard everywhere that it touches the window/car frame. I used white lithium grease which is safe on plastic and great for squeaks.

- I have isolated the problem by removing interior pieces: It isn't the speaker, speaker cover, a-pillar cover, AC ducting, glove compartment, or windshield wiper cowl. The sound still persists with all of those pieces removed.

- What I have NOT been able to eliminate are: the dashboard itself, and the airbag. If the dash/airbag are removed, the tick is gone!

- I can make the sound go away temporarily by loosening and retightening the bolt that bolts the passenger airbag to the car frame. And in fact, if I remove that bolt entirely and pad the metal with something so that it doesn't clang, the noise will go away, but I'm sure it is a good idea to keep the airbag bolted to the car frame.

- I have searched the forums here and I have not found anything like my problem.

So something in the ecosystem of the dash/airbag/car frame is causing a tick. It is really annoying and if anybody has any ideas I would love to hear them.

I've gone to the dealership but they have never seen this tick before and I don't want to leave the car with them all day and let them monkey with it because I have no faith in them.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had the same problem on my drivers side.. after years of living with it, i got fed up, pulled the dash apart and realized that when i upgraded my speakers 2 days after i got the box, i had changed the tweeters up front, and had 2 butte connectors bouncing together and causing the annoying "tick" on my driver s side tweeter. a little electrical tape and problem solved. could this be the issue you are having, or possibly a loose / semi loose wire is bouncing aroung in there under your dash - speaker grill?
Old 02-07-2008, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by IH8ONYU
i had the same problem on my drivers side.. after years of living with it, i got fed up, pulled the dash apart and realized that when i upgraded my speakers 2 days after i got the box, i had changed the tweeters up front, and had 2 butte connectors bouncing together and causing the annoying "tick" on my driver s side tweeter. a little electrical tape and problem solved. could this be the issue you are having, or possibly a loose / semi loose wire is bouncing aroung in there under your dash - speaker grill?
I suppose it is possible. I will have to double-check the speaker wire and airbag wire (which is inside one of those ribbed plastic sheathes) It is a thin plasticy sounding tick.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

also those grill on the dash tend to rattle
Old 02-22-2008, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive also noticed this noise. Its not always there, but it comes and goes. Let me know if you figure out whats causing it. Its around the same place you described. A creaking / cracking noise by passenger side dash / airbag. Its pretty annoying.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is a service bulletin regarding the kind of noise you are hearing. Its an official Toyota release and all dealers have that. I remember looking at it couple of month back. It has something to to with clips on the buttom of the windshield that need to be removed. Ask your service writer at the dealeship if they have looked into that problem.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So being that its a service bulletin, does that mean its something the dealer would fix for no cost? Cause im way past the regular 36,000 mile warranty, and now on the limited powertrain warranty.

Found this:
http://scionbeat.com/models/2005/xB/Bulletins.htm

Looks like the bulletin you are talking about is the one at the very top.

Come to think of it, theres also sometimes a rattle where the headliner meets the windshield. Which makes sense if theres pins under there also.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats it! Dont know about it being a free repair or not. Its not a recall, just an advise to the techs who run into the problem that is likely to happen.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

KK will have to talk with my dealer and see if we can work something out. Doesnt look like it would take them all that long to do with such detailed instructions.

Thanks alot for the headsup on the service bulletin - never woulda found it hadnt you said something.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my tick came from the front right vertical column making contact with the right side passenger dashboard area. I resolved it by folding a business card in half and inserting just enough to make it level so as not to be seen.

100% fixed...
Old 07-14-2008, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by IH8ONYU
Had that happen on other cars I've owned so ANYTIME I add anything electrical that requires connector of any type, I always wrap a piece of small bubble wrap around it and tape. Never had that problem since, and I added a hella lotta lights to my interior recently. That can be a very annoying occurance.

Now the window clips behind the dash is most likely it. I had a 94 BMW 530 that had a ticking rattle at certain speeds and was put in the shop numerous times but they came back with lame excuses (cassette left in player) !!!! I had the service manager ride with me at 60-70 mph and it only occured when catchin air turbulence riding behind a large truck ??? (lucky that truck was out there), pulled to the left and it stopped immediately, pulled back behind the truck and it started back up again. And it turned out to be the window clips behind the dash. At least Toyota knows the problem. I had my Bimmer at the dealer 4-5 times and no one had a clue.....