Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Underbody LED wiring (multiple triggers) looking for input.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Underbody LED wiring (multiple triggers) looking for input.

I just ordered some underbody LEd strips, and whilst waiting for them to arrive I'm planning my wiring.

Ideally I would like to find an 'on off on' rocker switch (I'll check out the 'shack) the two on positions will do two things:

off : LED's are off.

1st on : The LED's flash when the doors lock, and the LED's come on and stay on until you open and close the door like the dome light does.

2nd on : The LED's are on.

Now it's the second option that's giving me the headache. I'll have this set up as fused wire straight off the battery (probably) going to a relay (I'm going to need a box soon, I'm starting to collect relays in the engine bay) the relay would be fired by the swicth from the inside, which will be fed by tapped wires that hopefully I can find under the dash. The aim being to have only one wire going through the firewall.

So does anyone have any idea where i should look for the door lock light pulse, and/or the unlock dome light up. Can i somehow tap both of these through the single switch setting?

Any other thoughts on what would be a good setup.

The idea is that with the off, my wife can use the car without the underbody. With the first on, the lights don't do anything illegal, but it'll look kinda cool when walking through the car park at night and unlocking it from a distance. Second on is the main, on all the time setting.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:01 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I'll sell you a switch that will fit perfectly in one of the 3 switch blanks to the left of the steering wheel. It is just like this switch that I sell, but "on-off-on" instead of "on-off": http://www.oznium.com/gsw-45

Buy that switch on my site, and add a note that you need "on-off-on".

You could tap the dome light wire. You can pull the A-pillar off and try to trace it down to the kick panels, or just tap it up in the headliner. Or check out a wiring manual for the car.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Already got a switch just like that, I'm trying to find one that has lighting somehow, found some of ebay "4x4 rocker" which looked neat for $10 pick a style, pick a color, pick a label.

Anyway, moving forward.

Not sure I want to tap into the dome itself, as they will then come on whenever the dome is not.

I need to try and find the 'thing' that triggers the dome when you unlock.

I figured I'd spend Saturday morning lying on my back with a meter testing wires whilst locking / unlocking / opening doors/ etc.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can use diodes to feed multiple sources to that side of the switch. that way, you dont get feedback along the signal lines.
one of these days, i am gonna do this with the keyless brain and get the horn to honk with the flashing lights..
Old 09-30-2005, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ahhh yes, Diodes, so I could just splice whatever I want to trigger into a single wire to the relay, so long as there is adiode up stream on each wire they won't interupt with each other.

Good call.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

i have a plamsglow fusion 7 color underbody kit....
and i have the control box mounted in the middle compartment...and wired into the 12 volt plug there....
how would i go about doing that same on off on 1,2,3 thing like mentioned above...
i still wanna use the lights like i do now...
just think it would be sweet to have the lights flash with the unlock like that. ...and help please!!
heh thanks!
Old 10-01-2005, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Eppopipe
i have a plamsglow fusion 7 color underbody kit....
and i have the control box mounted in the middle compartment...and wired into the 12 volt plug there....
how would i go about doing that same on off on 1,2,3 thing like mentioned above...
i still wanna use the lights like i do now...
just think it would be sweet to have the lights flash with the unlock like that. ...and help please!!
heh thanks!
This was one the reasons I got the simplest setups I could find. It's 1 color, on and off. I'd never use the multi-color of the patterns, and it makes it super simple to trigger it with other switches.

I'm guessing it all depends on how the controller works, options in and out are. What's going on on the inside.

What happens to the lights if you directly wire them to the 12v supply (bare in mind this might destroy them, so test at your own risk). If they just come on that would be the easiest option, just wire up a bypass system, using a relay that you czn trigger.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

well the control unit has a 12 volt hot and ground...
i riped apart a old hand light that plugs into the cig lighter.
and wires the hot and ground to the cig plug...ran that to a small switch and plug it in to the cig plug in the center console
if i leave that on...they turn on when the car does...
so ...
now that you know how its put together..
what would i need and where would i have to tap into with what to make it flash with the unlock button?
Old 10-02-2005, 12:50 AM
5 Year Member

You can use the parking lights hot wire to be the remote wire to the relay to flash the undercar kit when the lock/unlock is signaled. If interested in tapping into the dome light trigger it is located in the door frame. A little black button looking thing. Located under the striker bar of the door frame. Normally its a negative pulse, using the frame of the car as a source. So to make it a hot wire you would use a nother relay.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GoDZiLLaMaN55
You can use the parking lights hot wire to be the remote wire to the relay to flash the undercar kit when the lock/unlock is signaled. If interested in tapping into the dome light trigger it is located in the door frame. A little black button looking thing. Located under the striker bar of the door frame. Normally its a negative pulse, using the frame of the car as a source. So to make it a hot wire you would use a nother relay.
Wouldn't that also mean that if the parking lights are on 'normally' the underbody would come on.

And with the stock lock system it's the indicators that flash not the parking lights.

All i need to find is whatever is triggering those lights when you lock/unlock.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:42 AM
5 Year Member

Thats true. Sorry.. The wires that control the actual lock and unlock motors are located in the drivers kick panel. Its a 20 pin plug. The green wire is the lock(pin 15) and the purple wire is the unlock(pin 14). If you isolate with a diode you can use these to trigger the relay. Also the dome trigger for the driver door is orange(-) in a 30-pin plug(pin 21)and the passenger door trigger is blue(-) in a 16-pin plug(pin 14). Both are located in the drivers kick panel. Also diode these wires.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's the info I needed, whoopp, many thanks. That's next weekends project confirmed.