Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

xA SRS light advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 12:39 AM
tmo
SL Member

Smile xA SRS light advice

To anyone who may be more mechanically inclined than me,

My SRS warning light came on the other day driving home from work. I took it into the shop when I had a free day off about a week later to have it diagnosed. They came back and said that my clock spring had gone bad. I was quoted a large amount of money to have it fixed so I decided to just pick it up
and think about what I wanted to do for a few days, whether it would be to have it fixed or look for another vehicle as it was getting old. Driving home from the shop the light was off, I stopped at the store then the rest of the drive home it was on, then for the last four times I've driven it the light has been off.
In addition I was told that if the clock spring was bad the horn would not work but it was working with the SRS light on (literally used the horn on the way to the shop) and is still working.

So basically my question is this: If the SRS light is off, are my airbags working properly? I just want to be safe.

Thanks for your help!
Ty

*Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator

Sticky Where to Post Your Question

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-07-2019 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator
Old 06-07-2019, 11:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

It should be working properly, but I'd rather replace the clock spring just to make sure. The job (if you're handy) is a 30 minute or so job. Let me look and see if I can find a tutorial for you.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Here's a generic DIY for clock spring replacement:

and heres a clock spring for $35
https://www.partsgeek.com/pnthyrc-sc...ag+Clockspring
Old 06-25-2019, 09:44 PM
tmo
SL Member

Hey thanks for your answer! I'd love to have it replaced but was quoted $700 for the job and don't want to invest that much into my little xA and am not very experienced in doing things myself, especially when it involves removing the airbag.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dealership clock springs cost north of $400 however Genuine Toyota clock springs can be had for less than $60/ shipped. Some Chinese clock springs go for less than $10/ shipped. Even if your mechanic wants you to have the best, I seriously doubt he needs $300 worth of time to install it.

I'd get a second opinion on labor-only (assuming you provide the part yourself.) Might save you a few hundred.

Check your private messages. I'll send you the link to an inexpensive, Genuine Toyota clock spring.