Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

xB bass idea

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member

Default xB bass idea

My wife's xB should be in anyday. The stock audio is fine with her, but I can't leave well enough alone. I wanna add some low end to the system. I have all sorts of parts left over from 'other' cars way back in the day. I was thinking of adding an Audiomethods .65 cub ft underseat box and sliding in a leftover Stillwater Kicker C-10 on the passenger side and then powering it with an old Soundstream Reference Series amp bridged to 100 watts mounted under the drivers seat. I have some old trusy Coustic XM3's in the basement in a box, but they won't take high level input if I remember right. Anyway, I was thinking about using a Pyle PLXR2 or similar product to convert the speaker level from the stock radio to RCA for the amp and to provide crossover for the sub (http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail....rs&model=PLXR2)

Way back my brother had one of the C-10's in a .75 cube box in a Stanza with 100w behind it and (2) 2x35 Alpines powering co-axs in stock locations. It sounded pretty good for a drive to work car. I figure one C-10 with the 100w Soundstream should liven up the factory system in the xB. I would LOVE to put my old Soundtream SS-10 in the xB, but it wants a 1.5 cube ft. ported box and the wife wants to maintain the minimal storage space that already exists. The SS-10 was THE 10" sub to have back in the day. I ran one of those with 100w behind it and (2) 2x30 amps powering Kef (no longer make car stuff, but make $$$$$ home audio) seperates in the front and some Polk co-axs in the back of an '84 Nissan Sentra. It would not win any volume contests against the 'boom and sizzle' cars, but the boys at the shows always thought it was a very well balanced, very natural sounding ride. This was late 80's early 90's when the big thing was to run a couple Rockford Punch 45's bridged thru a few dozen speakers. Kids never did figure out that the systems damping factor goes to hell and sound quality drops hooking in 10 drivers in wacky seires-parallel schemes to get the 4-ohms at the amp, but boy did they make some SPL's. Kids would have trunks FULL of Punch 45's.....

Anyway, your thoughts on this bass subject? Anybody ever use one of these cheepie Pyle x-overs like this or a similar product?

also, whats up with those plug in harness things on ebay that go between the factory deck and factory wiring? I see some RCA hookups dangling off of it. Is there some kind off low buck converter built into that thing or is it tapping into some hidden line level source in the factory head unit?
Old 05-18-2005, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The jack is mounted under the driver's seat.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution

the harness you are seeing on ebay just taps the rear signal to send rca signals from those speakers. it doesn't add a special signal from the radio. as for myself, i hooked up my amp to a $15 high level to rca converter (because my amp has a high/mid/low-pass on it) i got from my local audio shop. took a little splicing and crimping but it works well.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by marc's xb
damn it. The car isn;t here yet, and I really never looked under the drivers seat at the dealer - just the passangers. I'll have to check it out as soon as it gets here. Hopefully there is enough room for the amp - it's a compact package for a 2x50 amp.

can't wait to get this car..........
Old 05-18-2005, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you sure about that? I E-mailed them and was told
these are true line level outputs!

Unless they misunderstood my question?

Old 05-18-2005, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution

From what I've read about them in the past, they just get a complimentary harness for both sides and then rig up rca cables to borrow the back signal.... i very well may be wrong.

not that there's anything wrong with that, it'll work, it just isn't a seperate channel- the scion doesn't have a wire for one coming out of the headunit...
Originally Posted by scionlife
Old 05-18-2005, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by guzzijeff
Originally Posted by marc's xb
damn it. The car isn;t here yet, and I really never looked under the drivers seat at the dealer - just the passangers. I'll have to check it out as soon as it gets here. Hopefully there is enough room for the amp - it's a compact package for a 2x50 amp.

can't wait to get this car..........
just cut the jack supoort and such and it'll fir fine . or if the amp is somewhat small it could fit.