Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

XB Map Light (Cheap and quick)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default XB Map Light (Cheap and quick)

There are lots of choices for LED lights if you want to go this route. I picked up a “Petzl Tikka Plus headlight sold at camping stores for $35. The light runs on 3 AAA batteries for 100 hours, has 3 brightness levels plus a flashing mode. Ultra reliable. It is a super map light. Puts out plenty of light for the whole front seat area. I can easily read a map on low setting and find stuff I dropped on the floor on the high setting. It is much brighter than it appears in the photos. Draws no energy from the car battery. In a pinch the light can be removed and used for repairs or flashing mode for an emergency by sliding off the mirror base cover.

http://en.petzl.com/petzl/LampesProduits?Produit=463

Remove the head strap and glue the headlight to the plastic part where the rear view mirror meets the roof. The plastic cover for the mirror mounting slides off (upward direction) for clamping when you glue. Prep the surface with alcohol. Not sure how the silicone will hold, but so far it’s holding fine. I used Silicone rubber cement. A car vibrates, expands and contracts with temperature extremes so rigid glues like Crazy Glue may not hold for long. Silicone rubber glue is flexible and withstands temperature changes. If anyone has recommendation of good plastic glue for hot and cold extremes like a car I would be grateful.

I am thinking of putting one in the rear cargo area next but not sure how to attach it. Suggestions are welcome.

Old 03-16-2006, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like it.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I likes it too. Creative.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's really close to what I did... Instead of the Tikka I bought the Zipka. Later I discovered that I could take the rectracting cord and loop it around itself on the stem of the rearview mirror. This way its not permanent, which is a bonus should you need to take it out of the car and use it!
Old 03-16-2006, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Someone here just put me onto this Sylvania DOT-it Silver Self-Adhesive Bright White LED Light:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...nce&n=15684181
Old 03-16-2006, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just bought it, thanks vintage42
Old 03-16-2006, 05:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Very cool! Will have to do this when we get our xB. Anyone have a pic of the DOT-it installed?
Old 03-16-2006, 10:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Re: XB Map Light (Cheap and quick)

Originally Posted by tvc15_2000
There are lots of choices for LED lights if you want to go this route. I picked up a “Petzl Tikka Plus headlight sold at camping stores for $35. The light runs on 3 AAA batteries for 100 hours, has 3 brightness levels plus a flashing mode. Ultra reliable. It is a super map light. Puts out plenty of light for the whole front seat area. I can easily read a map on low setting and find stuff I dropped on the floor on the high setting. It is much brighter than it appears in the photos. Draws no energy from the car battery. In a pinch the light can be removed and used for repairs or flashing mode for an emergency by sliding off the mirror base cover.

Remove the head strap and glue the headlight to the plastic part where the rear view mirror meets the roof. The plastic cover for the mirror mounting slides off (upward direction) for clamping when you glue. Prep the surface with alcohol. Not sure how the silicone will hold, but so far it’s holding fine. I used Silicone rubber cement. A car vibrates, expands and contracts with temperature extremes so rigid glues like Crazy Glue may not hold for long. Silicone rubber glue is flexible and withstands temperature changes. If anyone has recommendation of good plastic glue for hot and cold extremes like a car I would be grateful.

I am thinking of putting one in the rear cargo area next but not sure how to attach it. Suggestions are welcome.

This is a great idea! Good job!

As for your inquiry about a good plastic glue; I suggest using 3M double-sided tape (the grey foam type). It has super hold and the foam material allows for expansion. It is a little expensive but you'll find plenty of uses for it. I've had the same roll for at least 10 years and it's still like new. I put a cell phone holder on a friend's dash about a month ago and it worked great!
Old 03-16-2006, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is great!!! I've been thinking of doing something like this for awhile, since I changed my dome light bulb to a blue LED- it went from very dim to completely useless. This is awesome! Good job!
Old 03-16-2006, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vintage42
Someone here just put me onto this Sylvania DOT-it Silver Self-Adhesive Bright White LED Light:

Any idea how bright this is compared to the Petzl Tikka LED light mentioned in this post? The price difference is like $20 so im wondering what the difference in brightness is. Is one of these good enough for the front of the xb? maybe 2 - one above the driver and passenger?
- sh00k
Old 03-16-2006, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

One thing to watch for is how do you change the batteriees.

Not sure about other lights but the Tikka opens like a calm shell and you can change batteries without detaching the light from the car.

The light also tilts - as pictured it will tilt further on to the dash board or if you mout it upside down it will tilt further into the seating area. The orange is the on off switch.

Max brightness is said to be about 100 feet on the http://en.petzl.com/petzl/LampesProduits?Produit=463 or www.petzl.com web site The Tikka VERY bright. I am not a salesmen for the Tikka I just happen to own one, there are lots of other companies to choose from. I have used the Tikka when backpacking at night if that helps! Mounting possibilites are endless. Will be fun to see what other people come up with.

If your attaching to the mirror base as in the photos - the mirror base slides off to make gluing and battery change easier. The tikka head swivels on the base so you can angle the light back to front or front to back depending how you mount it.

I dont want to cut a hole in the cargo area roof but I am looking for a way to attach another to the roof close to the rear hatch door so it shines down into the cargo area.

If anyone has photos of a rear install please share!

Old 03-18-2006, 09:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by vintage42

I have a DOT-IT in my xB.Works great and the adhesive is reusable so you can remove it to rplace the batteries. I had problems finding one.Advance Auto had them for a short period.I would like to get one for the hatch area but haven't found them any place else.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sylvania Dot It 's are still hard to find for me as well. My local auto parts store (Kragen) sells them for around $12 each. Thinking about going ebay for a bulk buy (3+).

I put one on the plastic siding of the trunk area, but the bumpy ride of my xB would always knock it loose eventually. I think some velcro tape might do the trick.

The Sylvania light has stuck onto my visors perfectly fine without falling off once so far. The picture below is with the domelight in the off position. Placed at the far right position of the right visor, the passenger gets an acceptable light for map reading.

I believe Sylvania's are also rated at 100 hours using 3 AAA batts.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i found one of those^^^^ in black at dollar tree for a buck, yeah one dollar! . Its an off brand but works great. Just put it above my rear view. If you have a local dollar tree near by i would swing by and check. they had a tone of colors.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I bought an Energizer headlight for 5 bucks with white and red lights and used stick-on velcro to mount it so i can rip it off when i need it and stick it back when i'm done. It's at least as bright as the pic above and the red light is good for night vision. Like being in a submarine.