Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

XM Antenna Problem w/ RS3

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default XM Antenna Problem w/ RS3

I'm headed home tonight from work and I stop in at Taco Bell to grab some quick dinner. While I'm in line at the drive-thru, my RS3 head unit starts flashing "antenna" on the screen and I lose XM reception. There is a huge awning at this particular Taco Bell so I just figured it was blocking the XM signal. After I leave the Taco Bell, reception never comes back. All other sources on the head unit are working. At this point I'm worried.

So I get home and I figure I'll see if I can fix it. I look up the install instructions at trdsparks.com and notice that the XM brainbox has 3 connections. I look under the seat and see 1 green connector, 1 yellow connector, and one plug in cable that I figure runs back to the head unit. All connections look good. I disconnect and reseat all connections to be safe. No luck there. I remove the head unit to make sure that the cable didn't come loose from the back there. Everything looks good. I have no idea what could be wrong. Anyone have any ideas?

Links to pics below (high-res, but bad photos LOL):

Head unit:
http://www.devenyns.net/hpim2129.jpg

Head unit rear:
http://www.devenyns.net/hpim2132.jpg

XM antenna connections:
http://www.devenyns.net/hpim2135.jpg

XM brainbox to radio:
http://www.devenyns.net/hpim2136.jpg
Old 03-24-2006, 08:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hey, sorry, dont have an answer for you. But, you had one for me. Thanks. I was wanting to see the back of the HU. Good Luck, I'll have to keep an eye out for your answer.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:41 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whew!
Sorry to hijack the thread for a moment, but when I saw your BSP as a 'Past Ride' I was worried, Jason, but I see you have those excellent wheels moved to your RS3.

Just a thought, check fuses? I don't have a schematic for the RS3's setup, so I don't know if the XM is fused separately or not.

Good luck!
Old 03-24-2006, 12:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is possible the antenna went bad or even the unit went bad. Over the last 3 yrs since sattelite radio came out, i have seen hundreds of antennas and units go bad, and they usually say no signal or no antenna detected. These pieces gave no warning signs of going bad, just bam and they didnt work anymore. I honestly have never messed with a factory XM piece before, but from the pics you posted they look like the the first pionneers that came out. You are going to need another antenna and possibly another xm unit to try and troublshoot the problem out. Did you install this or did the dealer? If you did then get yourself another antenna plug it in and if signal comes back then it was the antenna, if it dosent then it could be the xm unit that is bad. Hope this helps, let me know if you need anymore help.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the tips guys. I tried for about 2 and a half hours to correct the problem with no luck. The head unit knows the satellite box is connected for certain so I figure the antenna must have gone bad. It was instantaneous when it happened and I hope that this isn't something that happens often. I went ahead and dropped it off at the dealership today to just let them fix it. The car is less than 2 weeks old, so I'll let them deal with it. The service manager said he would get it fixed up for me. I'll let you know what they say about it when I pick it back up.

Drel
Old 03-24-2006, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jasonlm429
Hey, sorry, dont have an answer for you. But, you had one for me. Thanks. I was wanting to see the back of the HU. Good Luck, I'll have to keep an eye out for your answer.
There might be one connector hidden that is to the right of the blue conenctor on the back, I cannot remember. I have some pictures with a different angle, so I'll check them.

Would you happen to know what each of the connections on the back goes to? The antenna, DVD and video out I understand, but I'm not sure what each of the other connectors on the back go to. I believe 2 are the standard Toyota harness, but the other ones I only have guesses at (satellite?).

Drel