Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

XM radio question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member

Default XM radio question

Can anyone who has put the XM radio option in your Scion, please post a picture of the receiver box and the antenna?

I just bought a Scion radio for my 2003 4Runner. I'm 99.9% sure everything is going to work, but I want to see what the receiver looks like along with the antenna. I've got to figure out a place to mount the receiver along with the antenna.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Grant
Old 12-02-2003, 10:53 PM

Our radios are XM ready, all you need is the antenna and to call XM themselves to activate. The radio is the receiver. Contact PM autosound for any other XM questions.

Old 12-02-2003, 11:01 PM
tbp
5 Year Member

Unfortunately I don't have photos, but when the dealer installed my XM receiver they mounted it under the passenger seat. The little black box antenna was stuck onto the roof just above the hatch on the passenger side. There's a close-up photo of the antenna on the Scion site:

http://www.scion.com/scion/pub/drive...satelite_tuner
Old 12-03-2003, 01:07 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the link. That's what I was looking for. I had my old receiver mounted under the seat in my Cherokee. That's probably what I'll do with the 4Runner too.

Again, thanks!

Grant
Old 12-04-2003, 02:13 AM
5 Year Member

I know it's not a Scion, but I just thought I'd show everyone that your radios can be used in most newer Toyotas. I just put one in my 2003 4Runner today. Here's a picture.

Old 12-04-2003, 05:50 AM
5 Year Member

Default XM radio install

Well I contacted Pioneer with a question as to whether or not I could use a regular Pioneer XM aftermarket reciever that works with regular Pioneer systems and here was my reply.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks for e-mail

Pioneer: After checking with the OEM department that works with Scion, they inform me that the XM tuner for the Scion is a dealer item only. Pioneer after market tuners will not work.

--Original Message--
Date: 11/19/03
To: customer.support@pioneerservice.com
Subject: Hook up and Operation|G00002|5594348292[#799998]

Inquiry Type:Hook up and Operation
lstPublishers:0002
lstTitles:G00002-Car Products-Others
Inquiry:Hi I am an owner of a Scion xA with the stock Pioneer Satellite ready stereo system. My question was is it possible for me to install the Pioneer XM satellite tuner with this radio? The Scion dealership wants 600 dollars for XM radio, so I'm not
sure if its a proprietary Pioneer system and I have to go through the dealer, or if I can just use a regular Pioneer XM tuner with IPBUS? Thanks.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So there you have it, so until a company comes out with some kind of adapter to allow us to use the IP Bus for other pioneer systems we are stuck spending 400-500 dollars for the factory Scion XM system. I don't know of any adapter kits out there..... but if anyone does, please let me know. I don't want FM modulation by any means..... Bleccch.

I think its kind of silly that Toyota wants to make this car affordable but when it comes to mods, they make pioneer develop a proprietary system so that they can rape us with 600 dollar XM radio installs.... If their target audience is the younger crowd, that would mean about 2 weeks worth of wages for the typical part time 18-22 year old just to get satellite radio, when in fact if it were an open system it would only cost 120-150 for the hardware and let us do it ourselves. Me= confuzzled.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Stylis
Our radios are XM ready, all you need is the antenna and to call XM themselves to activate. The radio is the receiver. Contact PM autosound for any other XM questions.
the XM reciever is not in the stock radio, although the station and song info will appear on the display when the scion XM reciever is hooked up. you have to buy that module seperately. although scion claims the aftermarket recievers will not work with the factory head unit, i'm sure there is way to make it work. you just need an IP bus to OEM converter. if i had the stock reciever unit i could probably figure it out. right now i am using the stock radio with an FM modulator, but it doesn't sound as good as the IP bus connection i used to have.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the scion radio will work in any new toyota
Old 12-30-2003, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just buy a XM Roady.......then you dont have to worry about anything....I have it in my Eclipse and I love it....plus I can take it out and put it into another car
Old 12-30-2003, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by dinkjs
Just buy a XM Roady.......then you dont have to worry about anything....I have it in my Eclipse and I love it....plus I can take it out and put it into another car
i found the Delphi Roady, it looks like a nice set up!

with the wireless receiver and the free home adaptor you would be set!

do you use the wireless set up? i wondered how it worked as i have no cassette player....
Old 12-30-2003, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just an FYI: Buy some XM Radio Stock (XMSR). It's @ 26.72 right now and it just going to keep going up, up, up. :D