Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

air ride at highway speeds?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 01:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default air ride at highway speeds?

i was really concidering getting air suspension but was wondering how it is on the highway. i have been told that the car can be unstable over 60mph. i did not hear this from an xb owner but someone with an accord with air suspension. just wondering because i drive on teh highway often and just not looking forward to having a wreck.
if you can describe how the car feels with air going around 70 80, thanks alot. also how does it feel compared to drop springs i have s techs now but want to get low for shows.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

I drive mine at 70-80 alot, and never have had a problem. I've been up around 100 once or twice and didn't have a problem either. I've never had mine feel unstable at any speed. And depending on what PSi i have in the bags, it seems like air really reduced some body roll to me.

The only negative airride has caused is I get some wheel hop if I try to start out too fast with the car at full lift, but only in some intersections. BTW I run all airlift/easy street crap.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

thanks for the input, that was my biggest concern.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't drive my xB high enough or hard enough to get wheel hop, but, If you are concerned about safety on the road, highway or not, I would NOT do air. reason being is no matter how good you install it or whatever precautions you take, there could always be a blowout of a bag or pop an airline. Yes I am extremely cautious when I am driving since I have air AND deep dish wheels AND a bodykit. A sudden drop of the car could be catastrophic for me. Cuz I'll cut and blow the tires and possibly roll the car. These things can happen and have with some people here. Except rolling the car. At least not that I have heard yet. So that choice is yours. I only did it to gain a "look". I don't drive it that much anyway. If I go back to driving it on a regular basis, I'll do coil-overs. That's what I reccomend.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I drove mine for about 7K on air. I had an airline pop out twice, this was due to a poor job on my part. It can be scary but other than that I had no problems and it rode fine.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I have said it once, I have said it 1,000 times. An airbag system is only as good as the install. That being said, if you have a poor design to begin with, the best install in the world won't help you.

We are fortunate in the xB that we have some pretty reliable, well designed options out there. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to install a quality air suspension system on an xB and immediately drive it cross countrty.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by RTon20s
If I have said it once, I have said it 1,000 times. An airbag system is only as good as the install. That being said, if you have a poor design to begin with, the best install in the world won't help you.

We are fortunate in the xB that we have some pretty reliable, well designed options out there. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to install a quality air suspension system on an xB and immediately drive it cross countrty.
I agree 100% i drive my xb hard just like when i had the hotchkis springs. my air lift kit takes the abuse just as well. i also drove 630 miles immediately after the instal and the suspension performed flawlessly. :D
Old 03-15-2006, 02:24 AM
EMU
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i drive fast like at 90 and weave in and outta traffic alot...and have put 7000 miles on mine...i got airrunner though! dont know about other kits?