Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

anyone else installed the ground control setup yet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default anyone else installed the ground control setup yet?

Ive got it about half an inch from full drop in the front, and it seems to bottom out/rub pretty easy. Anyone else notice this? I think some of it might be alleviated by grinding away from of the spring perch, I think its hitting the fender well. Not sure.

Also theres nothing holding the spring down except the weight of the car, is that right?
Old 03-17-2004, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Yeah, the spring only supports the car and its contents, but it also suspends the wheel. Hit a bump going fast and the force on the spring could cause it to bottom out.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey, Jackmott. I have the Ground Control coil overs and am just waiting a day or two until my rims come in to get them installed. Just out of curiosity, how much did installation cost? I just got quoted $65 per coil or $260 for the whole thing. This seemed really high to me!!! However, I've only seen prices for normal spring installation on this forum and not a coil sleeve like the Ground Control. Also, What was your drop in the front and rear. It sounds like you went about 2.25" in the front? I was curious because that is how far I was thinking of going down (and 2" in rear). Are you using stock shocks and struts? Does anyone think that stiffer suspension could alleviate some of the bottoming out in Jackmotts setup?
Old 03-18-2004, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Does anyone think that stiffer suspension could alleviate some of the bottoming out in Jackmotts setup?[/quote]

mosdef. but it's really not worth it right now. if you were gonna do that than you might as well get a full coilover set.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Installation was zero dollars, I did it myself.

I would guess I am at about 2.25" drop if indeed the max drop is really 2.5"

In the rear I don't think the max drop is that much.

Anyway, the springs that come with the GC are already really stiff. I have the stock shocks on front for now, I need to do some grinding on the konis before I can fit the GC hardware on them.

Thing is though, the slow speed compression on the konis is actually softer than stock, so it might make the bottoming worse! But maybe not of the high speed compression is way stiffer, I don't really know, guess I'll find out.

Originally Posted by Minsk99
Hey, Jackmott. I have the Ground Control coil overs and am just waiting a day or two until my rims come in to get them installed. Just out of curiosity, how much did installation cost? I just got quoted $65 per coil or $260 for the whole thing. This seemed really high to me!!! However, I've only seen prices for normal spring installation on this forum and not a coil sleeve like the Ground Control. Also, What was your drop in the front and rear. It sounds like you went about 2.25" in the front? I was curious because that is how far I was thinking of going down (and 2" in rear). Are you using stock shocks and struts? Does anyone think that stiffer suspension could alleviate some of the bottoming out in Jackmotts setup?
Old 03-18-2004, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ncscion
Does anyone think that stiffer suspension could alleviate some of the bottoming out in Jackmotts setup?
mosdef. but it's really not worth it right now. if you were gonna do that than you might as well get a full coilover set.[/quote]

What I have is functionally and physically identical to a coilover setup...
Old 03-18-2004, 06:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

I've got GC in the front, and it's set way too low- but it looks killer! I've got a camber kit on order to keep the tire from rubbing, and i'm looking into custom struts for more travel... bottoming out is the reality of running extremely low in these cars!

-Phil
Old 03-18-2004, 07:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

Originally Posted by boxzila
I've got GC in the front, and it's set way too low- but it looks killer! I've got a camber kit on order to keep the tire from rubbing, and i'm looking into custom struts for more travel... bottoming out is the reality of running extremely low in these cars!

-Phil
I must agree with Phil. It looks killer! ...and Phil, please keep us updated with these new suspension/wheel fitment/camber mods that you're working out! (With pics too!!)

Peace,
m@
Old 03-19-2004, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

so how hard is it to install? how long would it take giving you have tools and just a jack and stands instead of a lift? how would you rate the difficulty level of this project 0-10 10 being hard as hell?
Old 03-19-2004, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ncscion
so how hard is it to install? how long would it take giving you have tools and just a jack and stands instead of a lift? how would you rate the difficulty level of this project 0-10 10 being hard as hell?

I would rate it a 3 I guess

Ideally you should have an impact wrench to get the top bolt on good.

otherwise its all very easy.