Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Clunking Noise When I Brake

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 02:41 AM

Question Clunking Noise When I Brake

Just picked up my xb (06 BOP) and when I test drove it I noticed what felt like warped rotors. A few days later I I jacked the car up, pulled the rotors and had them turned. After reinstalling everything I know have a clunking noise when I apply the brakes that changes with wheel speed. The faster I am going when I brake, the faster the clunk. As I slow down so does the clunk. I pulled the wheels off and checked everything on both sides and nothing looked out of place or contacting anything. I checked all hardware that I removed and everything was tight. I had a friend help me pull the axles cuz he thought it could be on of the CV joints, but they were fine. We checked wheel bearings, brakes, calipers etc. everything looks good.

It's not the strut clunk, it doesn't do it over bumps, only when I am slowing down.

Help!
Old 08-13-2012, 04:31 AM
5 Year Member

lubricate the brake caliper slide pins. they are stuck
Old 08-13-2012, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by TZA310
lubricate the brake caliper slide pins. they are stuck
They moved freely when I did the rotors, in, out and spin.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:49 AM

I just discovered it doesn't do it in reverse. A couple of my mechanic friends think it might be in the transmission. I have a 5 speed, any other ideas?
Old 08-24-2012, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would lube everything with brakes just to eliminate that. Put some brake pad stop squel on your pads. Can be had from napa and its a pink color. Also get tube of stuff from there called easy glyde, its in a blue tube. Also recheck that everything was installed correctly with pads, all retaining clips are installed correctly. If it wasn't clunking before, and you performed a brake job, and now it is, then it has something to do with that. Try putting the car on stands, run the car in gear and apply the brakes to see if can hear it.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:15 PM

Figured it out, It was the old pads not lining up with the resurfaced rotors. After driving the car for awhile the noise had gone away. I think the pads and rotors wore back into alignment and the noise stopped. Since the old rotors were at their minimum anyway, I got new pads and rotors and the noise is still gone.