Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

coilover vs springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 01:15 PM

Default coilover vs springs

Well I have finally decided to lower my xB, however, I did what I always do and over research (if there is such a thing)... i have been reading about coilovers, strut bars, and sway bars till my head started spinning... it seems that coilovers are the way to go quality wise, however, in the realm of cost; springs are the way to roll to get decent quality and save some money... And with springs there is either tenabe, tein, or espelir<sp>.. anyone have any opinions on all of this? should i go the route of coilovers or just stick with springs and maybe some sway/strut bar action? my xB is sittin on 20x7.5 225/30/20.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scinergy

Rollin 20s eh? You may not be able to drop that much. But considering all the snow you guys get in Floridia, I'd roll with springs and call it a day. However, if there might be an option later on to bag the b, then you should seriously consider coilovers as a start. If you do go springs, be very careful of the drop you go with. I sincerely doubt you can roll tanabe df210s (my favorite springs) with 20s without freakish amounts of hammering/grinding. You might be able to go with Tein H.Techs though.

Pics of the setup before?
Old 07-13-2009, 06:39 PM
SL Member

you always have the option of going with coilover sleeves and changing the shocks http://www.ground-control-store.com/...egory.php/CA=7
Old 07-13-2009, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by spr0k3t
Rollin 20s eh? You may not be able to drop that much. But considering all the snow you guys get in Floridia, I'd roll with springs and call it a day. However, if there might be an option later on to bag the b, then you should seriously consider coilovers as a start. If you do go springs, be very careful of the drop you go with. I sincerely doubt you can roll tanabe df210s (my favorite springs) with 20s without freakish amounts of hammering/grinding. You might be able to go with Tein H.Techs though.

Pics of the setup before?

Well with just putting the 20"s on I had to beat back the firewall in order to elimate about 97% of all rubbing. I have made a couple U-turns, which was crazy. They were wider than normal but still an efficient U-turn none-the-less. I got an offer of Tenabe springs NF210's for $80 w/ 3k miles on them... I'm thinking that maybe the way to go but I have been lookin at espelir too though.. I have to post pix when I get home my work blocks all web forums. ____s weak.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

then you wont be able to drop much if anything at all... ditching the 20's an option?
you could lose a lot of weight w/o them.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:36 PM

I have been pricing out everything and I'm just going to go with springs and call it a day. I may get those nf210's for $80 that I was offere or the espelirs.ditching the 20's is definately not an option and neither are airbags(not a fan). But yea, rolling the fenders and then springs is what I have decided. Thanks for the help guys.