Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Disadvantages of Cutting Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ir would be nice if someone fabricate a mounting cups/rubber pads for the cut rear springs.
I remember my MB 190E has a steel cups that holds the springs in place. I also have a choice of mounting rubber pads for lower stance.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

more problems then you could ever imagine...please buy springs for your safety and your car's integrety!
Old 01-18-2006, 03:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by flint
i really didnt feel like reading all that, but i get the jist of it. since u r a suspension genious, i'll expect to c a full write-up with pics included for the next class period ne ways, after i c the tech app i will fully change my view of this topic. if its really good, then i'll look in2 doing my trds.
i dont get it... and btw it doesnt take a genious to get suspension. someone says "cut springs" and your brain tells you "bad idea," and it can be if you dont fully understand the application at hand. just because you heard a cut spirngs horror story doesnt mean there is no correct way to do it. blow it off if you will. nothing wrong with not knowing how it works, but there is something wrong with trying to educate someone with incorrect information.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by saveacivic
Originally Posted by flint
i really didnt feel like reading all that, but i get the jist of it. since u r a suspension genious, i'll expect to c a full write-up with pics included for the next class period ne ways, after i c the tech app i will fully change my view of this topic. if its really good, then i'll look in2 doing my trds.
i dont get it... and btw it doesnt take a genious to get suspension. someone says "cut springs" and your brain tells you "bad idea," and it can be if you dont fully understand the application at hand. just because you heard a cut spirngs horror story doesnt mean there is no correct way to do it. blow it off if you will. nothing wrong with not knowing how it works, but there is something wrong with trying to educate someone with incorrect information.
wwwhat!?!?!?i'm tryin to give u the benefit of a dought.
hook it up civic
Old 01-18-2006, 06:07 AM
5 Year Member

Suspension components are designed to work a certian way. When you modify them, in this case by either cutting them or heating them, you are really asking for problems in the future.

Replace them with an aftermarket part that are designed for what you are doing. Be smart about it. Use ebay to find good prices.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TerryStolmeier
Suspension components are designed to work a certian way. When you modify them, in this case by either cutting them or heating them, you are really asking for problems in the future.

Replace them with an aftermarket part that are designed for what you are doing. Be smart about it. Use ebay to find good prices.
Be careful with the ebay, a lot of the springs on there (the no name ones) number 1, most of the tiems don't have correct spring rates on them, which will constitute for a sloppy ride, not to mention the R&D that went into them is less then satisfactory, stick with the main names though with springs (tanabe, tein, eibach, etc)
Old 01-18-2006, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member

^^^ That comes without saying.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TerryStolmeier
^^^ That comes without saying.
You would think so, but you would be suprised.....
Old 01-18-2006, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

nobody likes ricer bounce!
Old 01-18-2006, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mosh_xB
is that a dance?
Old 01-18-2006, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its right up there with the safety dance ;-)
Old 01-18-2006, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by FLINT
Originally Posted by Mosh_xB
is that a dance?
hahahaha i guess you can say that
Old 01-20-2006, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FLINT
[i'm tryin to give u the benefit of a dought.
hook it up civic
my bad. i was tired.... and Terry, you are right that suspension is designed to work a certain way. lowering the vehicle by any means changes everything whether by cutting or replaceing. try to understand what is being done exactly and what it changes. it makes perfect sense and there is no mystery work. i think too many people focus on the actual cut of the coil instead of what changes when you do it. the car doesnt suddenly get heavier and the strength of the coil doesnt suddenly get weaker...
Old 01-20-2006, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The last statement you made does need a qualifier though.

The spring doesn't suddenly get weaker as long as you are not using some form of heat to cut the coil. In other words, no torches, no plasma cutters, etc. Get yourself a sawzall or a hacksaw.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

Cutting your springs is not a good idea period. I don't care how knowlegable you are about it.

Lets put it another way.
Sure you can do it, But givin the option of buying aftermarket springs or cutting the stock ones. Wich would you recommend?

And if you are having someone do it for you. It would probably be cheaper just to pay 150 bucks or so for the springs and go that route.

People cut thier springs and go with out major incident for the time they own thier car. But you can tell wich car is riding on a real suspension or cut springs when they are bouncing all the way through an intersection, or you hear a loud "Thud" when the springs totally compress and they abuse their shocks/struts when they go over a speed bump or pot hole in the road.

Bottom line is: Yes you can cut your springs, but if you truly enjoy your car don't do it. You'll be replacing the stock suspension much earlier than needed, You'll look rediculous, and springs aren't expensive to begin with.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

What it comes down to... find the right part, just do it right. Sure, you can cut your springs 1/4, 1/3, whatever. What about the shocks though? Rolling on stocks? TRDs?

Get a proper coilover or airbag setup and you'll be happy (all the engineering & options you want). If you can't... you can't. No haterade there. Yet, when you want to throw your setup out there with cutting corners... expect to see rolling eyes. Save some cash and get the right stuff. Otherwise... draw some swooshes on your pro-wings while you are at it.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RTon20s
The spring doesn't suddenly get weaker as long as you are not using some form of heat to cut the coil. In other words, no torches, no plasma cutters, etc. Get yourself a sawzall or a hacksaw.
i was speaking of cutting, not heating. i already said heating is a different story. not a fan of heating, as i already stated in this post, it weakens the spring... i think you guys are posting replies without reading what i put. TimmyT, we are talking about cutting aftermarket springs, not stock. c'mon you guys, read the whole post if you are going to give your $.02... okay, Im going to give this a try; why dont you guys that are against cutting aftermarket springs on the front of a scion xb (which is exactly what weve been talking about, if you actually read it) post what exactly is changed by doing just that. please leave out all the rookie replies like "it's not correct, period" and "its unsafe" and "this is what you should do..."please post EXACTLY what change in the suspension is affected by doing this.

has anyone else noticed that you guys that are against this havent mentioned even 1 valid argument as to why it is bad to do this? dont generalize to cover up your lack of knowing what you are even talking about, post EXACTLY what change is bad or incorrect and why. -again, im not trying to be a smart ___, but rookies keep posting their generalized $.02 and have absolutely no clue what they are even talking about. BE SPECIFIC! every time someone makes some comment about how this EXACT argument is bad, we go back and say what we have already said
the bottom line is that if you cant be SPECIFIC in your argument, you dont really know what you are talking about!
Old 01-20-2006, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

^^^
I have read this thread. And I am not responding to anyone specific. I am responding to the thread wich is called:
"Disadvantages of cutting springs"
Wich i believe he didn't say anything about cutting "aftermarket springs". He says he has aftermarket springs. But the thread doesn't stipulate "Cutting aftermarket springs".

.... Also why would anyone want to cut aftermarket springs to begin with?...

2 inch drops aren't enough and they want 4"?..... Perhaps they like sledding on assphault?
Old 01-20-2006, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had two cars with cut coils (front and back) and they were both driven daily for at least a year with no suspension problems. The Honda Accord had aftermarket coils that were chopped and the Toyota Corolla (ae86) had chopped stock coils.

It sounds like it may be a bad idea to cut the rear coils on an xB from what others have posted hear though....
Old 01-20-2006, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by saveacivic
Originally Posted by RTon20s
i was speaking of cutting, not heating. i already said heating is a different story. not a fan of heating, as i already stated in this post, it weakens the spring... i think you guys are posting replies without reading what i put. TimmyT, we are talking about cutting aftermarket springs, not stock. c'mon you guys, read the whole post if you are going to give your $.02... okay, Im going to give this a try; why dont you guys that are against cutting aftermarket springs on the front of a scion xb (which is exactly what weve been talking about, if you actually read it) post what exactly is changed by doing just that. please leave out all the rookie replies like "it's not correct, period" and "its unsafe" and "this is what you should do..."please post EXACTLY what change in the suspension is affected by doing this.

has anyone else noticed that you guys that are against this havent mentioned even 1 valid argument as to why it is bad to do this? dont generalize to cover up your lack of knowing what you are even talking about, post EXACTLY what change is bad or incorrect and why. -again, im not trying to be a smart butt, but rookies keep posting their generalized $.02 and have absolutely no clue what they are even talking about. BE SPECIFIC! every time someone makes some comment about how this EXACT argument is bad, we go back and say what we have already said
the bottom line is that if you cant be SPECIFIC in your argument, you dont really know what you are talking about!
I think you are the one who needs to play closer attention. I agree with all of the posts you have made so far. I as simply qualifying the last statement you made above mine about cutting springs. Cutting the springs should not be done using a heat source. I was never talking about heating springs. But you would be surprised at the number of people that cutting the springs with a torch or plasma cutter is ok. It isn't, and I am sure you know that. This is why I said to get yourself a sawzall or hacksaw to make the cut.

Quick Reply: Disadvantages of Cutting Springs?