Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Going for COILOVERS .... which ones do I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 07:26 PM
SL Member

Default Going for COILOVERS .... which ones do I buy?

Looking to install coilovers on my box. Looking for any opinions/help/do's and don'ts, etc. Prices. Ease of installment. Models ( as some companies offer more than one model.) Availability. Ride quality and warranty. Looking into all of these. If your running coilovers, post up let me know why you chose those, and what is your opinion of them now. Would you refer them or go with some other ones. Thank for the help.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congrats for going coilovers.

As a huge Tein fanboy.. I highly recommend Tein Flex Z if they're available for your application. Great price point and fantastic daily ride comfort along with increased handling. Have installed others (BC & KSport) and the Flex Z's outperform them in every way IMO. Tein Basis are crap though, stay away from those lol (made in China to reduce costs.. nowhere near the quality of the Flex series).
Old 12-23-2020, 07:43 PM
SL Member

.... and I was gonna ask why the flex z and not the basis z. Lol. Besides being made in China and like $500-600 difference, anything else that made you choose the flex over the basis?
Old 12-23-2020, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've run both and would never run the Basis again. It pales in every way to the Flex and it was extremely noisy.

EDIT:

Comparo pic of my tC2 Flex (L) to the Basis (R). The spring would always pop against the top hat when turning (tried 3 different sets of top hats) and the adjustment perch is a sleeve that loosely sits on the shock body. That little tab is all that keeps it in place.. It bent on me. In general I will never buy coilovers that do not come with top hats because of this experience. Flex series is in a different league completely.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Originally Posted by JTxBento
Looking to install coilovers on my box. Looking for any opinions/help/do's and don'ts, etc. Prices. Ease of installment. Models ( as some companies offer more than one model.) Availability. Ride quality and warranty. Looking into all of these. If your running coilovers, post up let me know why you chose those, and what is your opinion of them now. Would you refer them or go with some other ones. Thank for the help.
Might help if you provided some feedback on what you might be looking to spend as budget is going to drive what options might be available to you as well as what amount you might be looking to lower your car, etc.

There's a ton of coilover posts on here and while most of them are likely going to be older posts the options haven't changed much, in fact there might be fewer options available now.

I went with KW Suspension Variant 2's...you'll be hard-pressed to find a better quality coilover but you're also going to pay for it as they're roughly double what the Tein Flex Zs run.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Local guys have had mixed reviews with the KW's and their reliability (most switched to Fortune Auto), but they're definitely a nice suspension - love the helper springs on there.

As I stated though, I don't think theres a better value for a coilover than the Flexes but you can certainly spend more and get a higher end product if you desire.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:12 PM
SL Member

Default Race land?

I saw a sick 05 xa on $420 plus shipping raceland coilovers on 15x8’s on fitment industries, might have to go with the race lands myself
https://www.fitmentindustries.com/wh...land-coilovers
Old 12-24-2020, 08:22 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by drizzoh
I've run both and would never run the Basis again. It pales in every way to the Flex and it was extremely noisy.

EDIT:

Comparo pic of my tC2 Flex (L) to the Basis (R). The spring would always pop against the top hat when turning (tried 3 different sets of top hats) and the adjustment perch is a sleeve that loosely sits on the shock body. That little tab is all that keeps it in place.. It bent on me. In general I will never buy coilovers that do not come with top hats because of this experience. Flex series is in a different league completely.

honestly I was already leaning in teins way. Only problem is I can't find a flex z for it. Only thing I find are the basis z. And that was a worry I have about reusing the top hats. Even had the thought to just order new ones to use on the coilovers. Figured it would save me the pucker effect work of using spring clamps to remove them.
Old 12-24-2020, 08:27 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by MileHightC
Might help if you provided some feedback on what you might be looking to spend as budget is going to drive what options might be available to you as well as what amount you might be looking to lower your car, etc.

There's a ton of coilover posts on here and while most of them are likely going to be older posts the options haven't changed much, in fact there might be fewer options available now.

I went with KW Suspension Variant 2's...you'll be hard-pressed to find a better quality coilover but you're also going to pay for it as they're roughly double what the Tein Flex Zs run.
was looking to spend around $1300 MAX for a set. HONESTLY its a box. I won't be taking it to the course for anything. Its my daily. Im not a camber /stance guy. So, looking for a drop (maybe an inch max) and a smooth ride.
Old 12-24-2020, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

was looking to spend around $1300 MAX for a set. HONESTLY its a box. I won't be taking it to the course for anything. Its my daily. Im not a camber /stance guy. So, looking for a drop (maybe an inch max) and a smooth ride.
I'd say the Teins, provided you can find the Flex Zs as they don't seem to be readily available but the Super Streets are available and just within your budget, not including what I would say is an obligatory alignment job also.
Old 12-24-2020, 11:03 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by MileHightC
I'd say the Teins, provided you can find the Flex Zs as they don't seem to be readily available but the Super Streets are available and just within your budget, not including what I would say is an obligatory alignment job also.
yea, thats the issue. Finding them. It seems as if tein mostly/only made the "street basis z" for the 1st generation xbs. Even on their site, it only shows the basis as an option....
Old 12-25-2020, 01:52 AM
SL Member

yea, thats the issue. Finding them. It seems as if tein mostly/only made the "street basis z" for the 1st generation xbs. Even on their site, it only shows the basis as an option....
if you’re only dropping 2” you can get away with lowering springs especially not going to a track