Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Look ma, new brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 02:59 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by DeadRinger
wow, nine hours??? funny I bought some high temp engine enamel, I think it was called Cast Iron, and I spray painted my brakes and drums... and it looks EXACTLY like yours, I think I spent a whole hour doing it... sorry it took longer than you thought it would
Yeah nine hours. Most of that time was taking off the paint from when I painted mine. The finish was awful and it was starting to flake off. The powdercoat will outlast any paint you put on them, not to mention the surface finish is top notch.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

they look great. Would love to do mine yellow especially since my rims are going onto the car very very soon
Old 04-29-2006, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Max
The powdercoat will outlast any paint you put on them, not to mention the surface finish is top notch.
really, I have had this paint on the ford lightning I had for a few years and it never peeled or flaked off...

I put four coats of the paint on, then four coats of clear enamel, and voila, 14,000 miles later they are a beatiful as the first time I out the paint on them, nice and shiney!
Old 04-29-2006, 07:04 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by DeadRinger
really, I have had this paint on the ford lightning I had for a few years and it never peeled or flaked off...

I put four coats of the paint on, then four coats of clear enamel, and voila, 14,000 miles later they are a beatiful as the first time I out the paint on them, nice and shiney!
Cool man. I put four coats of paint on mine as well, but no clear. I used the Duplicolor kit. The sections where it was flaking off were in the same spots on each caliper. I would assume that since the results were the same on each side, this would be the parts of the caliper that got hotter than the rest. The paint is pretty durable, given the extreme difficulty in getting some of it off, but I guess it is not invinceable in some circumstances.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awsome Job, Thats the cleanest setup I've seen yet !!!!
Like the powdercoating.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

They do look nice but had a few questions that weren't covered yet.

Did you dis-assemble the calipers? I think the heat from the baking might hurt the rubber seals. Did you mask off the parts that need to be bare? ie; where it contacts the pads and mounting bracket.

When I re-did my brakes I used paint stripper and removed all the old stuff down to virgin steel then repainted them with wheel paint. No problems yet after 6 months.

I'm gonna have to get me some of them rotors and pads when the time comes. They look bad a$$!
Old 07-22-2006, 01:24 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by jethro_b
Did you dis-assemble the calipers? I think the heat from the baking might hurt the rubber seals.
Yes, I disasembled. This was vital in both being able to reach all the surfaces to clean them as well as to be able to spray them. As far as seal damage, I could see either way. Brakes do get pretty hot, and we are just talking about 400F for 20 minutes. I think they might stand a chance.

Did you mask off the parts that need to be bare? ie; where it contacts the pads and mounting bracket.
Yes I did. Powder in the brake line seems to be a pretty bad idea. I also plugged the threads, and wherever else was necesary.

I'm gonna have to get me some of them rotors and pads when the time comes. They look bad a$$!
Yes they do.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Tanks Max!