Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Looking to order rear coilover springs

Old 03-27-2011, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Looking to order rear coilover springs

Right now my suspension is DF 210's with Echo struts. I likw the way the front looks but the rear is to high. What I wanted to do was run a coilover spring with some Monroe air shocks. I was looking into Sprint coilover springs but I'm complete idiot with picking out a spring. What information do I need to pick a spring? (spring rate, height? anything else
Old 04-04-2011, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As spring height goes, most I've come across are all the same, albeit minor differences, when made for the xB. As far as spring rate goes, if this is your DD I'd suggest not going with anything over 150-175lb/in springs. Anything more would probably be quite stiff for the street on the xB.

On another note, I have a question for you, what is the upside to Echo struts in the front? I am currently running the DF210's but with Waydo struts all around. Are Echo struts shorter in overall length compared to OEM or Waydo's? I'm curious because I kind of have a reverse rake going on, where the rear of the xB sits at least half an inch lower, probably more, than the front, and it is very annoying. Hope this helps.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks, Mike for your answer.
The Echo strut is definitely 1/2" lower and will take care of your reverse rake. The spring perch on the Echo strut is 1/2" lower than the xB strut. Right now on the stock steelies with stock tires I am right around a 1 finger gap in the front and 2 fingers out back.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How hard/soft is the dampening on the Echo struts? I'm assuming they'd be set a little softer compared to the Waydo's, which is fine, but I do like the way my xB handles, and don't want to really compromise that. Would aftermarket(ie Tokico, or Koni) Echo struts still be as short in overall length you think? So that I may still retain some sportiness.

And does it matter what year Echo the struts come from?
Old 04-08-2011, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have 2002 Echo struts in mine. I don't really drive my car hard so can't answer the question on soft/hard. The car doesn't seem stiff and takes bumps pretty nice. All Echo struts are setup the same so if you get a performance shock for an Echo it will definitely sit lower in the front. The reason it sits lower is the spring perch is 1/2" lower on the Echo strut compared to a xB strut.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for your help, will be ordering new struts tomorrow. The xB is basically getting a refreshed front end. Struts(hopefully), brakes, and end link bushings, finally!